All Motor All Motor Advanced Performance. Talk about Engine Swaps, Internal Engine work. Not your basic Y pipe and Intake Information.

02 FWD VQ35DE Block + 2008 G35 VQ35HR heads Test fit, discussion, BUILD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

02 FWD VQ35DE Block + 2008 G35 VQ35HR heads Test fit, discussion, BUILD?

Here SurraTT comes with some more STUFF

I still have my old FWD VQ35 block laying around (191k miles)

And i just picked up a set of 2008 G35 HR Heads complete with valvetrain and valve covers.

Here is the good stuff, HR heads on my old DE block

If anyone remembers before i tested a HR lower intake on my 09 motor it didnt fit because the HR DECK height is different this throws stuff off.

OK so who cares about the HR lower anyway? not me

More like 2009 Maxima Lower

So i took the lower intake off my 09 motor thats in my car, yeah it was a little work but turns out it was worth it!

What does this mean? Well confirms that 09 maxima heads are HR heads minus the nice valetrain. What else does this mean? Im not really sure more investigating needs to happen but so far this could be nice.

Will have to use a 09 Max timing cover, might just try and find one of these....

Pic of my 5.7 gen just to show the lower i/m is gone, and the 09 max motor is still in there hahaah

Ideas???????
Old 01-16-2012, 03:03 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

aackshun

hook me up with a 09 max timing cover
Old 01-16-2012, 03:12 PM
Got Retrofit?

Dun dun dun.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:22 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Need to really take a look at coolant, and oil flow stuff. This is just a preliminary. Because im sure no engine design builder person haha
Old 01-16-2012, 06:11 PM

AWESOME discovery.

Once new gen VQ's start blowing up and get common/cheap - this'll be waaay more cost-effective than head porting and intake/valvetrain upgrades for 5.5's and full swaps.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:32 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by bamboomerang
AWESOME discovery.

Once new gen VQ's start blowing up and get common/cheap - this'll be waaay more cost-effective than head porting and intake/valvetrain upgrades for 5.5's and full swaps.

Only thing is gotta use a 09 timign cover, and its just not been tested enough yet to know how this is gonna work.

My theory is its bascally creating a 09 maxima motor. But with the older block.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Wow neat man! What year is block?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Maximeltman
Wow neat man! What year is block?
its from my 02. 191k on it haha
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM

juu gotz some time on ur hands...
Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 PM

Interesting.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 AM

But what about the 09 Maxima timing cover having variable exhaust timing? Youll need an ECM from an 09 to control the exhaust timing right?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM

mind=blown
Old 01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well we had confirmed that the L32 heads had the HR part number and that any fitments issues would be attributable to the taller HR deck height and greater distance between the heads. And the valvetrain between the two should be the same. Maybe you're thinking of the 2009+ VHR with VVEL?

In any case, good stuff man. Good to see them actually put together to be the final confirmation. BTW, which cams are installed there in the HR heads? From what I recall the cam trigger wheel is different on HR cams so how are those with DE ECU's running them?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by nismology
Well we had confirmed that the L32 heads had the HR part number and that any fitments issues would be attributable to the taller HR deck height and greater distance between the heads. And the valvetrain between the two should be the same. Maybe you're thinking of the 2009+ VHR with VVEL?

In any case, good stuff man. Good to see them actually put together to be the final confirmation. BTW, which cams are installed there in the HR heads? From what I recall the cam trigger wheel is different on HR cams so how are those with DE ECU's running them?
oh ok i didnt know they had the same part number, so they literally are the same head castings as my 09 maxima motor too.

The valve springs and cams are RWD specs, as in better. HR cams are different then 09 max cams, just more aggressive.

Yes RWD HR cams are in these heads, the signal is going to be the same exact issue as my 09 max motor swap. Nothing new there, (well for me anyway) .

So My theory seems to be dead on. 09 Maxima motor is a DE BLOCK, HR heads, (even EVT like HR) with a FWD style Timing cover that has EVT also. Its "de tuned" through less aggressive FWD cams, and a single TB.

What im trying to figure out is if you can take a OLD FWD DE, use RWD or FWD "HR" heads, use a 09 max timing cover and components. use 09 max intake manifold system all that will = A 09 maxima motor like i have. Would be perfect time to do a minor build.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM

Ahhh.....

HR Heads vs. DE heads comparison? I can always throw this into my build for because the mech still hasn't started on my motor yet....

Then.... I would need a 09 Maxima LIM+UIM.... oh boy this can get more expensive really fast....

Last edited by aackshun; 01-17-2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by SurraTT
What im trying to figure out is if you can take a OLD FWD DE, use RWD or FWD "HR" heads, use a 09 max timing cover and components. use 09 max intake manifold system all that will = A 09 maxima motor like i have. Would be perfect time to do a minor build.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by aackshun
Ahhh.....

HR Heads vs. DE heads comparison? I can always throw this into my build for because the mech still hasn't started on my motor yet....

Then.... I would need a 09 Maxima LIM+UIM.... oh boy this can get more expensive really fast....

HR heads = " better flowing then the ported DE heads"

I havent really seen any info on ported HR heads, i can only imagine they would be pretty nuts! And ive got a spare set

Yeah youd need 09 max OR 07 altima LIM+ upper. It just depends on parts availability really, if you can by a 09 max motor for ~2g or build one for ~800-1200 depending. Then thats that or its a good time to UPGRADE some parts, cams/pistons/rods

And if you DIDNT care about EVT then the 07 altima timing cover could be a option.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 PM

HR heads = " better flowing then the ported DE heads"

I havent really seen any info on ported HR heads, i can only imagine they would be pretty nuts! And ive got a spare set

Yeah youd need 09 max OR 07 altima LIM+ upper. It just depends on parts availability really, if you can by a 09 max motor for ~2g or build one for ~800-1200 depending. Then thats that or its a good time to UPGRADE some parts, cams/pistons/rods

And if you DIDNT care about EVT then the 07 altima timing cover could be a option.
You know I don't care

But this is very interesting... We will see later in the year when I'm feeling frisky for another 3.5 (maybe I can finally get the L32 altima motor + haltechzorz).

Keep doing all of the great research, that way I'll have to do none when it comes to my fun.

Last edited by aackshun; 01-17-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:39 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by aackshun
You know I don't care

But this is very interesting... We will see later in the year when I'm feeling frisky for another 3.5 (maybe I can finally get the L32 altima motor + haltechzorz).

Keep doing all of the great research, that way I'll have to do none when it comes to my fun.

haha yeah thats y you like the Alti VEE Q.

ohhh yeah! ill keep playing around! I wish work where you do! They dont let you play do they? hahaah
Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

Pshaw, get an 07 alti motor (almost new) for 1200 then profit???

I wanted to go that route, since I can get the motor for a decent price, but with the cam sensor and crap being different...

Unless you plan to make some custom drop in parts :P
Old 01-17-2012, 06:44 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Pshaw, get an 07 alti motor (almost new) for 1200 then profit???

I wanted to go that route, since I can get the motor for a decent price, but with the cam sensor and crap being different...

Unless you plan to make some custom drop in parts :P

Yeah if your wanting a drop in, like i done with my 09 motor thats a good way to go. But if your wanting to do a build also then this might be good too.

Yeah im on it for some parts, esp since i'm the 5.7 gen creator and all ya know? hahah i'm just veryyyy slow, wiring is my thing, not custom machined parts.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Bad *** Newb

Yeah if your wanting a drop in, like i done with my 09 motor thats a good way to go. But if your wanting to do a build also then this might be good too.

Yeah im on it for some parts, esp since i'm the 5.7 gen creator and all ya know? hahah i'm just veryyyy slow, wiring is my thing, not custom machined parts.
Well, I'm not smart (car and fab wise), but if you think you can make parts to fix the cam issue for a noob....I'm interested for a reasonable price
Old 01-18-2012, 03:16 AM

Found a 09 maxima motor for $950.... this may be covered already but if one was to messwith the cams in the 07+ alti or 09 max motor, what cams would be ideal? AM DE cams or HR cams andwhich would be less complicated?
Old 01-18-2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Found a 09 maxima motor for $950.... this may be covered already but if one was to messwith the cams in the 07+ alti or 09 max motor, what cams would be ideal? AM DE cams or HR cams andwhich would be less complicated?
I would not trust a non recommended salvage yard in AL denver.

Ask for pictures of the car it came out of, then ask why does a car w/ a higher stock # and unreported miles is at a higher price.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:42 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I think I have the 09 Maxima engine bug! I would love to build one for my 92 Maxima. Any updates on fitting the 09 timing cover on an old VQ35DE block with HR heads?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I think I have the 09 Maxima engine bug! I would love to build one for my 92 Maxima. Any updates on fitting the 09 timing cover on an old VQ35DE block with HR heads?

Need a 09 Timing cover setup to really see how things fit.

I think the older block, with HR heads and newer HR style FWD timing cover will work just fine.

I'm really wanting to see what a built 09 motor can do, ive got some parts together but its still a long ways out for me.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:05 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Need a 09 Timing cover setup to really see how things fit.

I think the older block, with HR heads and newer HR style FWD timing cover will work just fine.

I'm really wanting to see what a built 09 motor can do, ive got some parts together but its still a long ways out for me.
I foresee me having an 09 FWD engine on the stand by Spring or atleast a DE block. Then after that, I will slowly collect parts and build it to be an NA beast. Right now, I'm thinking of sleeving and boring it out and making it high compression. With the stock crank, I should be able to get 3.8L out of it. A stroker kit is too expensive for me. I think it's an extra $3-4K just for the crank.

I wouldn't mind going the route you talked about in this thread. It should save me some money. I can easily start with a FWD DE short block and build it from there. Or I can try to find a cheap 09 Max engine. One that would require a rebuild anyway. There's just not many of those engines out there just yet. I think I would prefer to start with an 09 engine if I can find one for under $800. Right from the start, I would have all the pieces I need as far as timing chains, cover, sensors, etc.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Banned

Interesting thread!

As we are talking about cams I would love to see what some really aggressive cams would put down in a 09 engine.

That other guy put down what like with 320-330 with a 'dumb' 02/03 block and C9 cams?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What are the compression ratios of a DE, HR, and 09 max motor? So If I wanted to run a RWD HR enigne in my DE G35, I could use the maxima intake setup to run single throttle body.

DE bottom end will not rev as high as a HR though.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CLyons0203
What are the compression ratios of a DE, HR, and 09 max motor? So If I wanted to run a RWD HR enigne in my DE G35, I could use the maxima intake setup to run single throttle body.

DE bottom end will not rev as high as a HR though.
They are all pretty close. Unless you do a crazy high compression build you will not gain 1 hp.

14.0 showed 0 gains on the dyno supposedly. Just increased engine response. I think you would have to get to 16 or greater to see any gains which means racegas or E85.

the DE bottom end revs out to 8k just fine...If you race and play in the 8k range alot it probably will not last but for 1/4 mile & highway runs you should be ok.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:33 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by FastnFuriousMax
They are all pretty close. Unless you do a crazy high compression build you will not gain 1 hp.

14.0 showed 0 gains on the dyno supposedly. Just increased engine response. I think you would have to get to 16 or greater to see any gains which means racegas or E85.

the DE bottom end revs out to 8k just fine...If you race and play in the 8k range alot it probably will not last but for 1/4 mile & highway runs you should be ok.
Who did 14:1 CR with minimal gains? Is there a thread about that build somewhere?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Banned

Who did 14:1 CR with minimal gains? Is there a thread about that build somewhere?
Actually 0 gains: http://www.sg-motorsport.com/?p=1110

"At this point we built the block with high compression pistons, switched to race fuel and installed eagle rods. Surprisingly the compression difference did not affect the engine output at all, but at least now I would safely be able to rev the engine above 8000rpm. The next step to make more power, and to rev higher, was to swap out to the revup lower intake manifold. This manifold lost torque at lower rpm, but gained horsepower higher up."

Unless I am mistaken they were at 14:1 It's somewhere on their webpage...

again a stock 02/03 max block hit 330 at the wheels...his proof + SG makes me think you just need crazy aggressive cams NA.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:51 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Actually 0 gains: http://www.sg-motorsport.com/?p=1110

"At this point we built the block with high compression pistons, switched to race fuel and installed eagle rods. Surprisingly the compression difference did not affect the engine output at all, but at least now I would safely be able to rev the engine above 8000rpm. The next step to make more power, and to rev higher, was to swap out to the revup lower intake manifold. This manifold lost torque at lower rpm, but gained horsepower higher up."

Unless I am mistaken they were at 14:1 It's somewhere on their webpage...

again a stock 02/03 max block hit 330 at the wheels...his proof + SG makes me think you just need crazy aggressive cams NA.
Yeah, SGM had 12:1 JE pistons for that run. They did run race fuel, but I don't know if he retuned his entire ignition timing map based on the new CR with race fuel. According to the thread below, the only thing that was changed between the two dyno runs were the pistons, rods, race fuel, and racing spark plugs.

http://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/48...comp-time.html
Old 10-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Banned

Yeah, SGM had 12:1 JE pistons for that run. They did run race fuel, but I don't know if he retuned his entire ignition timing map based on the new CR with race fuel. According to the thread below, the only thing that was changed between the two dyno runs were the pistons, rods, race fuel, and racing spark plugs.

http://my350z.com/forum/na-builds/48...comp-time.html
Are you ever planning on running more aggressive cams? What are you putting down now in your 3rd gen?
Old 10-18-2012, 11:18 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Are you ever planning on running more aggressive cams? What are you putting down now in your 3rd gen?
Oh yes! I will definitely run more aggressive cams. But I have to finish testing these prototypes Edge Racing Torque Converters. Right now, I have what I think is the world's only and first 245mm high stall converter for a Nissan. I hope it will give me a stall of around 4500rpm. I hope to test it out within the next few months. And once I can confirm that I can achieve a stall of 4500rpm or higher while maintaining whp efficiency, then I will be able to experiment with some more aggressive cams.

Right now, I'm putting down 275whp SAE corrected and 290whp uncorrected in cold weather. My next dyno session will probably show I'm doing about 285whp now with my tuned 3.5" MAF and new converter.

But I want to have an 09 Max VQ35 in my 92 that puts down over 340whp NA easily! And that will most definitely involve some big cams from JWT, headwork, custom IM, and huge TB! And it will probably involve higher compression, as well as, a 100mm bore. I'm not sold on the high compression just yet. Right now, I'm thinking I can get an extra 15whp with 13:1 CR and a race fuel tune. But I don't know. I can't find any good testing results that anybody has done.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Banned

race fuel gets expensive! can you just run straight E85 or a mix?

Any plans to move up to a 4'' intake?

Sounds like you got some serious stuff going on! 340whp in a gutted 92...what a blast to drive!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:56 AM
NWP Engineering.com

race fuel gets expensive! can you just run straight E85 or a mix?

Any plans to move up to a 4'' intake?

Sounds like you got some serious stuff going on! 340whp in a gutted 92...what a blast to drive!
Yes, it does get expensive. But I will only run race fuel while racing on the track. For street driving, it will be 93 octane with a retarded timing map. That is IF I go with high compression pistons. I haven't made up my mind yet.

And I do have plans to test a 4" intake tube. But I want to do before and after dyno tests on my 92 Maxima first with the 3.5" tubing. Once I confirm those HP gains to myself, I will then see what the 4" tube does on this engine. We have confirmed it to work on the 09 Maxima motor testing on Darren's car. But, I don't know how it will respond with my older VQ35DE.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:15 PM

I have to finish testing these prototypes Edge Racing Torque Converters. Right now, I have what I think is the world's only and first 245mm high stall converter for a Nissan. I hope it will give me a stall of around 4500rpm. I hope to test it out within the next few months.
Right now, I'm putting down 275whp SAE corrected and 290whp uncorrected in cold weather. My next dyno session will probably show I'm doing about 285whp now with my tuned 3.5" MAF and new converter.
Does Edge need any other testing mules? I am down for 3500-4000 stall.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by ABIGBRAIN
Does Edge need any other testing mules? I am down for 3500-4000 stall.
I don't think so. They are just waiting on the results I report as soon as I install the latest prototype. We expect it to flash stall above 4K easily. I am hoping for 4500. Since this has never been done before, we don't know what to expect other than it will be higher than the 3600 stall I currently have. But this latest prototype is built for the best efficiency without any changes in fin angle. So whatever it stalls at, we can easily tweak it to raise the stall higher in exchange for a little top end HP. So depending on my new power curve with the built 09 Maxima motor, we will know what stall will be best for my car.

And once our testing is complete, these 245mm converters will be made available for purchase more than likely.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:55 PM

Aaron, I will pm you tomorrow as I don't want to further hijack SurraTT's thread. Suffice to say that given our current difference in HP, this same converter that your hoping for 4500 RPM with would be between 3800 and 4000 for me. Any anti-ballooning plate in this prototype?

Quick Reply: 02 FWD VQ35DE Block + 2008 G35 VQ35HR heads Test fit, discussion, BUILD?