Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Stock Bose HU Adaptor Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 04:56 PM

Stock Bose HU Adaptor Comparison

I did some searching on the org as well as google to find as much information and options as I could to keep my stock Bose HU and replace the amps and speakers to aftermarket ones in a Nissan. I found that I need to equalize the signal coming from the HU. I also don't want to have to slice or patch into the factory wiring. With this in mind I found three options. Here they go:

1)Use the metra harnesses 70-7550 and 71-7550 and an Audio Control Sound Processor(s) in line with the two harnesses. The Audio Control accepts balanced line inputs.

2)Use a PAC OEM-1, ADD-NIS1, and an AMP-RCA along with an aftermarket equalizer. This adapator harness combination is specifically made for Bose, JBL, and Infinity premium systems.

3)Use an AudioLink PD4 and the CLNB95-R CableLink Harness which is specifically made for Nissan/Bose systems along with an aftermarket EQ.

Out of these three options, who has had good/bad experiences with each of these options, and which ones sounded good/bad. Also has anybody who has worked in car stereo shops had a chance to compare the three as far as sound quality? I know sound quality wise an aftermarket headunit would be better, but with an in dash six disc changer, I think it would be too much of a waste.

Thanks for any input in advance
Old 08-27-2002, 09:38 AM

I hvave actually tried both the audiolink PD4 and the audiocontrol routes. I have to say that they both work really well. I purchased the audiolink before I really knew about the audiocontrol option.

I really wanted some quick eq adjustability, so I mounted a four.1 in the center console. I then took out the audiolink PD4 since it was now redundant.

The audiolink was a bit more straight forward in setting up and the wiring harness was definately worth the money. That said, I am sticking with the audiocontrol.

If you are interested, I will sell you the PD4 without the wiring harness. It's basically sitting around here and is in immaculate condition (only used it for like a month).
Old 08-27-2002, 11:34 AM
I miss the .org!

I'm doing the same thing as you, wanting to keep my stock Bose HU. I like the in-unit changer too. I've ordered that PAC kit, it cost me $70 from a local dealer. I haven't heard any of those 3 setups, but I've heard good things about the one I went with. I'll let people know how it goes too.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:48 AM
Mod her. Ate her.

Originally posted by Maxima Dan
I hvave actually tried both the audiolink PD4 and the audiocontrol routes. I have to say that they both work really well. I purchased the audiolink before I really knew about the audiocontrol option.

I really wanted some quick eq adjustability, so I mounted a four.1 in the center console. I then took out the audiolink PD4 since it was now redundant.

The audiolink was a bit more straight forward in setting up and the wiring harness was definately worth the money. That said, I am sticking with the audiocontrol.

If you are interested, I will sell you the PD4 without the wiring harness. It's basically sitting around here and is in immaculate condition (only used it for like a month).
Where did you mount the PD4? I could NOT find a place to mount it. Finally, I got p!$$ed and just sold it without hooking it up. I could not stretch the adapter wires far enough to put it in a good spot. What were your experiences?
Old 08-28-2002, 03:47 PM

I mounted it in the glove box after lengthening about three wires and buying some male to female RCA adapters from Radio Shack so I could run standard interconnects between it and my receiver.