Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Audio and Electronics (https://maxima.org/forums/audio-electronics-21/)
-   -   4th gen trunk questions (https://maxima.org/forums/audio-electronics/112007-4th-gen-trunk-questions.html)

mb1 09-13-2002 12:50 PM

4th gen trunk questions

which part of the trunk rattles the most? I'm trying to get rid of all the rattles. I also noticed a loud rattle underneath the trunk, but I can't figure out where it's from, any ideas? Also, is that metal piece with the trunk passthrough nessesary? I removed mine to get more bass.

WizzaMax 09-13-2002 02:39 PM

Personally I am sick of the little plastic tensioner holder..I have gone thru 8 of those freakin things since I have bought the car...

I am sick of that piece and cannot figure out why they keep getting stress breaks.:mad:

jmax 09-13-2002 07:42 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
Personally I am sick of the little plastic tensioner holder..I have gone thru 8 of those freakin things since I have bought the car...

I am sick of that piece and cannot figure out why they keep getting stress breaks.:mad:

What plastic tensioner in teh trunk? As for the original question the noise under the trunk is probably the exhaust heat shielding vibrating against the muffler. It should be pretty simple to diagnose and rebend.

WizzaMax 09-13-2002 08:47 PM

Originally posted by jmax
What plastic tensioner in the trunk?
It is the square plastic piece that holds the two metal tensioner bars that cross in the middle under the back dash...they re tensioners for the trunk opening system.

jmax 09-13-2002 09:17 PM

Originally posted by WizzaMax

It is the square plastic piece that holds the two metal tensioner bars that cross in the middle under the back dash...they re tensioners for the trunk opening system.

Sorry, my car doesn't have any. But you could use some weatherstripping or ruberized material or something to keep the square plastic piece from vibrateing. Maybe even simple felt glued on it.

mb1 09-13-2002 09:32 PM

Originally posted by jmax

What plastic tensioner in teh trunk? As for the original question the noise under the trunk is probably the exhaust heat shielding vibrating against the muffler. It should be pretty simple to diagnose and rebend.

I got under the car, and I checked everything possible, but still couldn't find the rattle. I though it was the heat shild at first too, but when I applied ressure to it, nothing changed.

WizzaMax can we do without those bars? They are very much in the way of my box.

Unibomber 09-13-2002 11:00 PM

your trunk lid wont stay up

ThumpinMaxima 09-14-2002 05:07 AM

BACK DASH!!!!!!

jmax 09-14-2002 07:25 AM

Originally posted by Unibomber
your trunk lid wont stay up
If you don't replace them with anything you are right. But mine has no trouble staying up in gusty wind.
Have you tried the same pressure test on the rear license plate and the lock mechanism in the trunk lid? Also, the tail fin can resonate, tail lights, just about anything.

LeonBlackMax 09-14-2002 04:56 PM

That rattling under your car is probably the shield they are talking about. It will rattle with just the smallest vibration. All you have to do is turn on your radio so it vibrates,get under the car and just end and move it all over till you find where its vibrating.

Unibomber 09-15-2002 09:26 AM

its not the heat shield i have all of mine removed they POS are useless...my car still has a rattle...inside by the wheel in the trunk u will see a box with holes this lets the air out of your trunk when u close the lid it has rubber flaps on it that vibrates those make ALOT of noise it could be this..

i have come to the realization u wont get every noise but who care when u have your car turned up u cant hear a thing HAH

jay_johnson 09-21-2002 04:28 AM

I love how you tease them James.