Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Any experience with the new Kenwood DDX7015 yet? (All in one DVD/Nav/6.5" TV, 2x-din)

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Originally Posted by MaxDom03
Hmm, where would you put the nav unit? Glove box? I didnt realize the Eclipse had to have a disk in it for Navigation.

I assume the Kenwood also stops playing the DVD while you drive. The prices seem to be just about the same for the two.

I really want something like this in my car, so I want to make sure I dont spend too much on something I wont like!
You really don't need access to the Kenwood nav. unit so I wouldn't give up glove box space. I would say under the seat or in the trunk.

Yes, Eclipse needs a nav. disk in it. It does have one dedicated CD slot and one DVD slot. You have to choose between DVD Video or the DVD ROM nav. disk.

Both stop the DVD movie while driving but both are easily defeatable. I hope so anyway. The Eclipse is for sure, and the Kenwood 7015 was. So I am hoping the Kenwood 8017 will be too.

Good luck with your choice. As for me, the 8017 goes in as soon as it is released.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl96Max
If your looking for "flashyness" then go for the Pioneer, if your more focused on overall SQ, then the Eclipse wins all hands down.

I am still waiting to hear from darrick about where he sees something "cartoonish" about Eclipse. Toyota/Lexus didnt think that it looked that way when they signed the contract with Eclipse to do All of their Navi units.
I understand how you say that Eclipse takes the cake. I've had in the past a Pioneer 6500DVD with AVID-80 Navigation, and with this Eclipse, it comes in super handy to have everything built in. The only thing that I can't stand about my AVN2454 is how slow it reads the MP3 cds that Imake. It plays DVDs, and everything else fine, but it reads and goes through the menus of my MP3s so slow. Is this normal? Can I do anythign about this?
Old 08-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Licensed to Spell

Well, since someone brought this thread up, I'll take the opportunity to say that I just payed for and received my Kenwood 8017, Nav. 4100 and Excellon CD changer last week. My friend (The Wizard) and I both bought one. We installed his this weekend. I'm pretty happy with it.... but of course it's human nature to complain about the few negatives instead of list the many cool things. Complaints:

The unit does not fill the full double din. And the trim piece Kenwood gives us doesn't work without cutting/hacking.

The unit is shiny gloss black, not flat black like our dash.

The unit sticks out a good .5" when using the stock mounting location (we might modify that later).

The LCD screen is sunk in about 3/8" from the outer trim. It should be flush!

Like Joel was saying, there are only 5 lame wall-papers/backgrounds to chose from.

When you use the 'Zoom' mode (fills the whole screen) while watching DVDs, the picture quality goes way down.

That stupid 'ice-cube' button glows so bright, it distracts from the movie.

I'm sure there are more, but I was up until 2am and had to be to work at 7. Joel, did you experience any of this?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PICS of mine here. flush mounted. uses bose speakers and they sound better now. i want to buy navi for it. anyone know where i can get it for less then $600 new, used, refurbished......don't care.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=350519
Old 08-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Kolyan
PICS of mine here. flush mounted. uses bose speakers and they sound better now. i want to buy navi for it. anyone know where i can get it for less then $600 new, used, refurbished......don't care.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=350519
Thanks Kolyan. Unfortunately, all I see are red X's.
Why do you say the DVD player is useless?
Without sounding like a total moron, what is Syruss?
Old 08-08-2005, 09:34 AM

i don't know why u see x's. dvd player is useless (this is ONLY MY opinion) because i haven't used it even once. really are you going to watch movies in the car? unless you have kids it's useless. Siruis is a satalite radio. btw. i think navi is useless too. the only reason i want to get it is because i'm tired of looking on the same blue screen.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Kolyan
i don't know why u see x's. dvd player is useless (this is ONLY MY opinion) because i haven't used it even once. really are you going to watch movies in the car? unless you have kids it's useless. Siruis is a satalite radio. btw. i think navi is useless too. the only reason i want to get it is because i'm tired of looking on the same blue screen.
Wow, you're pretty negative there.
I think the DVD player is pretty cool. My girfriend watched 3-4 movies on our trip to/from Vegas last weekend. And the navigation is priceless! I completely disagree. Not mandatory by any means but an extremely helpful and fun toy. Oh, here is the thread I started showing my 8017 install:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=427453
Old 09-08-2005, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by ptatohed
Wow, you're pretty negative there.
I think the DVD player is pretty cool. My girfriend watched 3-4 movies on our trip to/from Vegas last weekend. And the navigation is priceless! I completely disagree. Not mandatory by any means but an extremely helpful and fun toy. Oh, here is the thread I started showing my 8017 install:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=427453

yes. i was wrong. navi is fun and i use it sometimes. i got it for $650 local store no tax
Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 AM

Here is what my Navi use to look like, I ended up selling to my brother about 7 months ago waiting on the Eclipse 5495, dont think I can wait any longer though. Eclipse always has some sort of release issue.

Old 09-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Licensed to Spell

Originally Posted by Dohcser
Here is what my Navi use to look like, I ended up selling to my brother about 7 months ago waiting on the Eclipse 5495, dont think I can wait any longer though. Eclipse always has some sort of release issue.

Eeeeew. No offense but the look of that thing gives me shivers. The new Eclipse is much more handsome.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:14 AM

Really....huh you must have a different unit straight from Eclipse , because they are similar with a few button changes. Please fill me in on the info you have.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Licensed to Spell

Really....huh you must have a different unit straight from Eclipse , because they are similar with a few button changes. Please fill me in on the info you have.
I guess you didn't read through this thread? On page one you can see a picture of the new Eclipse. Here is my post #11:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...4&postcount=11

Here is a picture of the new look:

Old 09-08-2005, 09:15 AM

Like I said the unit looks similar except the buttons. If you are talking about the onscreen display, I disabled all the options and it was in night view mode.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Licensed to Spell

Like I said the unit looks similar except the buttons. If you are talking about the onscreen display, I disabled all the options and it was in night view mode.

Well, I guess I wouldn't call it 'a few' button changes. To me, the new one looks totally different.