Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Audio and Electronics (https://maxima.org/forums/audio-electronics-21/)
-   -   Optima Red or Yellow top? (https://maxima.org/forums/audio-electronics/292494-optima-red-yellow-top.html)

jcy98maxse 03-24-2005 04:27 PM

Optima Red or Yellow top?

Well, I've been looking at these 2 batteries. To my understanding, the red top is a starting battery while the yellow top is deep cycle.
Here are some questions I have regarding the two:

1. I will be running 2 amps (125x4 and 1000x1) I have a 2 1 farad caps, would I still need to yellow top? Is it worth the extra $50-$70?

2. I wouldn't be running my system much with the car off so would I still need the yellow top?

3. Anyone got the actually model number for both the red top and the yellow top? I've seen that there are different model #s for different sizes?

Chemsol 03-24-2005 10:04 PM

I checked this info out for someone today. If you aren't going to have it in the trunk or run it while the car is off, then you probably want the red. Dunno what the model will be though.

505max94se 03-26-2005 02:27 AM

Get the yellow top. I've heard bad things about the red top...

Max Mutes 03-26-2005 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chemsol
I checked this info out for someone today. If you aren't going to have it in the trunk or run it while the car is off, then you probably want the red. Dunno what the model will be though.

Other way around. If you have alot of electronics and want to run them off your battery (when car is off) then get the Yellow Top.

Chemsol 03-26-2005 10:04 AM

Umm Max Mutes, that's kinda what I said. If you AREN'T going to have it in the trunk or run it while the car is off, then get the red. :) In other words,

2. I wouldn't be running my system much with the car off so would I still need the yellow top?

Chemsol 03-26-2005 10:05 AM

505max94se,

What kind of bad things did you hear about the red?

Max Mutes 03-27-2005 01:28 AM

Umm Max Mutes, that's kinda what I said. If you AREN'T going to have it in the trunk or run it while the car is off, then get the red. :) In other words,

LoL, whoops... :hide:

isac 03-27-2005 01:39 AM

i have a yellow top and from my experience that's the one to go with if you like to play your system while the car is off, one thing i noticed though was that the yellow top charges at a voltage a little bit lower than the cheap autozone battery i had before, of course while the car is one youll get the 14 volts from the alternator, but if you check the voltage while the car is off, the yellow top stays at about 12.5 volts, my old battery was at about 13.3

Chemsol 03-27-2005 01:46 AM

HAHA that is a great emoticon! Never seen that! ROFL....

2 Da Max 03-27-2005 07:32 AM

dam i ws tinking about going with the red since it matches my enginebay :sadpace:

jcy98maxse 03-27-2005 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by isac
i have a yellow top and from my experience that's the one to go with if you like to play your system while the car is off, one thing i noticed though was that the yellow top charges at a voltage a little bit lower than the cheap autozone battery i had before, of course while the car is one youll get the 14 volts from the alternator, but if you check the voltage while the car is off, the yellow top stays at about 12.5 volts, my old battery was at about 13.3

Which model of the yellow top do you have? Theres like 3 or 4 different sizes...

Metal Maxima 03-27-2005 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
Get the yellow top. I've heard bad things about the red top...

I smell bullsiht. References?

Max Mutes 03-28-2005 12:25 AM

HAHA that is a great emoticon! Never seen that! ROFL....

HaHa!! :fro:

Originally Posted by 2 Da Max
dam i ws tinking about going with the red since it matches my enginebay :sadpace:

LoL! That's what I did. Nothing I will do or have will be THAT serious to call for the usage of a Yellow Top. Also, you can always do what Don did and paint it a different color. ;)

2 Da Max 03-28-2005 04:26 AM

na thats going to hard

:hide: