Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

SAT radio question HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My apologies! The unit is made by Clarion, not Audivox. Installation as a do-it-yourself is very easy and I would say that even w/o much mechanical ability, it can be done in a hour or so (even if your particular about wire management like I am).

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by DTinVA
Great instructions!! Now if there was only a Liquid Silver antenna. . .

There is a guy selling painted antennae on the net. If you don't buy the OE antenna, you can get a smaller one through buy.com or crutchfield but you will need the splitter along with the antenna. If you buy OE, I think it comes with the splitter. I think the below link comes with the splitter, color matched for $89. Disclaimer: I don't have a painted one so I can't vouch for the quality.

http://www.colormatchantenna.com/ant...ntenna-package
Old 09-13-2005, 03:00 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

Originally Posted by NashMax
There is a guy selling painted antennae on the net. If you don't buy the OE antenna, you can get a smaller one through buy.com or crutchfield but you will need the splitter along with the antenna. If you buy OE, I think it comes with the splitter. I think the below link comes with the splitter, color matched for $89. Disclaimer: I don't have a painted one so I can't vouch for the quality.

http://www.colormatchantenna.com/ant...ntenna-package
they have the mini antennas on the site I posted also.... take a look..
Old 09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I ordered mine last week, getting it tomorrow. I am installing on the roof, I dont want the glass to act as an interefence in picking up the signal....even though sirius broadcasts from NYC, I should have no problem even if I mount the thing under the car...LOL
Old 09-13-2005, 11:02 PM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
you will need the antenna and receivers, they are two parts.. and I've heard sirius is better cause of the scrolling text on the oem screen... I think xm don't have that..
It doesn't scroll but it tells you the song and artist. I don't look at the screen anyway when I drive.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:08 PM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=PaL379] picking up the signal....even though sirius broadcasts from NYC

Pal are you saying that your car will never leave the NYC area?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:48 AM
.org extraordinaire

windshield

Anyone using the winshield mount antenna? The one that goes under the rearview mirror? I think id rather install it there then anywhere else, the isntall is not a problem for me but I want to see what it looks like in place before i drop the cash.

Thanks,

Kam

another stupid question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does the splitter that is used with the OE stuff, does it allow you to use two antennas if you so choose?

Cause Im thinking the best place to install the antenna would be right up at the wiper blade hood cowl. It wont be visible, wont be touched by the wipers, wont create drag or wind noise and will be visible only to the sky and somone standing over the car.

Any thoughts,

Kam
Old 09-16-2005, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Anyone using the winshield mount antenna? The one that goes under the rearview mirror? I think id rather install it there then anywhere else, the isntall is not a problem for me but I want to see what it looks like in place before i drop the cash.

Thanks,

Kam

another stupid question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

does the splitter that is used with the OE stuff, does it allow you to use two antennas if you so choose?

Cause Im thinking the best place to install the antenna would be right up at the wiper blade hood cowl. It wont be visible, wont be touched by the wipers, wont create drag or wind noise and will be visible only to the sky and somone standing over the car.

Any thoughts,

Kam
From what I have seen...the front satellite antenna from Nissan really sucks, I've had to replace a number of those antennas install by the Nissan "techs", plus they really look ugly, just my opinion.....
Old 09-16-2005, 11:37 PM
.org extraordinaire

Originally Posted by install30
From what I have seen...the front satellite antenna from Nissan really sucks, I've had to replace a number of those antennas install by the Nissan "techs", plus they really look ugly, just my opinion.....
Ok so that was the big fat thing that goes under the windshield of the little peg thingy that goes on top the car? Cause im thinking to put one (small pod thingy) on the cowl where the wipers are so it wont be visible.

Thanks Guys,

Kam
Old 09-17-2005, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by kamilkluczewski
Ok so that was the big fat thing that goes under the windshield of the little peg thingy that goes on top the car? Cause im thinking to put one (small pod thingy) on the cowl where the wipers are so it wont be visible.

Thanks Guys,

Kam
That should work just fine.....all depending on where the satellite is located during the day....
Old 09-17-2005, 01:26 PM
SuPeRmOd

do u have bose? i forget if base model has 6 discs. you now there is only 1 slot right? i thought everyone had the SAT button even if not prewired which comes w/ DPP.

i also noticed the new hole for chargers.
Old 09-17-2005, 08:00 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

I have my antenna mounted right on the dash in upper right corner cant even tell and reception is perfect plus my windshield is tinted (sirius) woo hoo howard january 9th
Old 09-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I wanna be at my maximum

Originally Posted by 92maxima
I think my dealer told me with everything installed for the XM is like 4OO SOME odd dollars.. That is rediculous. I only paid around 270 for the aftermarket one I had installed in my Jetta.
After the car leaves the factory -- for the dealership to install the Sat. opt. goes up to $640.

I have my XM installed in the bottom little cubby hole (in front of the shifter) and it still looks still completely and works great -- i'll try and post it for ya soon -- if you are worried about still looking stock.

Also, to get it installed at best buy or Circuit City -- is like 60-80 for labor... and for the wiring and what-not no more than 40, ... and of course the unit that will include the tuner and the little antenna.

Great alt. to the 450 or 640 from Nissan
Old 09-17-2005, 08:54 PM
SuPeRmOd

just get the tuner splitter and antenna all 3 for about $350 Grubbs or used. self install is simple.

I know w/ my oem Sirius, if you display all the info, you can manually scroll. aftermarket ones auto scroll.

my mini antenna is on my 3rd break light. only short "skips" when under heavily wood road that aslo block out a lot of sunlight. I saw an Avalon with their antenna on the front dash too. thought about trying that. but I had it out the rear window on the roof and still lost signal in the bad areas.

what blows my mind though is while in a parking garage with open sides, no loss of signal, but trees block it out intermitently.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
Looking at the NissanUSA website are the faces of the clusters darker and are the numbers more yellow than orange than that of the 04's and 05's?

Also, looking at the lighted steering wheel controls looks like a new project for Gec.
I don't know... it could just be a bad picture or something. It looks almost black on this one http://www.nissanusa.com/m/cma/i/5ma..._gal_big09.jpg so I think it's just shadows...

But it's interesting to see the "load" button back on the changer face, unlike on that earlier picture. And if you squint REALLY hard, you can see that the radio controls are still 4 buttons... I think the first one is AM/FM, then CD, then TAPE and SAT. So even if you don't get the SAT option, the car might still be pre-wired and you just don't get the control unit for it?

Somebody should go look at one without SAT and see if the sticker is still in the door...
Old 09-19-2005, 04:06 AM
SuPeRmOd

pre-wired sat is listed for DPP only. with cost cutting especially on wires, I'm sure they wouldn't over look that.

HiTech, feel free to chime in w/ first hand experience. do u still have lighted wheel buttons? even w/o Bluetooth, are there buttons on the wheel for it?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by viguera
Somebody should go look at one without SAT and see if the sticker is still in the door...
What does the sticker look like and where should I look?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
HiTech, feel free to chime in w/ first hand experience. do u still have lighted wheel buttons? even w/o Bluetooth, are there buttons on the wheel for it?
I'll go shoot a pic and attach here. Anything else?
Old 09-19-2005, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by HiTech
What does the sticker look like and where should I look?
Err... it looks like a sticker. It says the car is pre-wired for SAT and it's in the driver's side.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

BTW the wheel does illuminate. So how do I add SAT if it has the wrong head unit? OK where specifically do I look for the cable in the trunk?
Old 09-19-2005, 08:12 AM

Like I thought... the damn wiring is there... it's just the button is missing from the control unit...
Old 09-19-2005, 10:12 AM
SuPeRmOd

wow. check the SAT threads, it hangs between the 2 rear speakers and only works with oem tuner. you could always hit mode to toggle. I rarely use the SAT button.

for Bluetooth, your mode and power buttons are replaced on the wheel.
Old 09-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow. check the SAT threads, it hangs between the 2 rear speakers and only works with oem tuner. you could always hit mode to toggle. I rarely use the SAT button.

for Bluetooth, your mode and power buttons are replaced on the wheel.
I pulled the trim down under the rear deck. No extra wires or connectors. I'll pull the head unit today to confirm yes or no on the socket for SAT.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:33 PM

What's the location of the sticker about SAT prewired? I drive a 2005 Max and i want to know if mine is prewired...
Old 09-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ElCapitan
What's the location of the sticker about SAT prewired? I drive a 2005 Max and i want to know if mine is prewired...
Inside the driver door jam below the striker.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:27 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by HiTech
I pulled the trim down under the rear deck. No extra wires or connectors. I'll pull the head unit today to confirm yes or no on the socket for SAT.
don't pull the unit just for this. i think most likely the sticker slapper was going through the motions.
this is what u are looking for:
Old 09-19-2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by NIKV69
I posted earlier in another thread the 06' will not have any significant changes. I am good freinds with the owner of the Nissan Dealership that I bought my car from. He told me the basic future of the Max. The 07' will have a different interior and some different lights. The 08' will not change and then the 09' will be the next redesign.
Well I actually think that adding bluetooth and removing the SAT input (if they did) is what I'd call a significant change.

Things like fabric in the pillars and illuminated buttons is minor stuff... when you start talking about differences in the HU and extra modules for a phone kit, that's major IMO. It might not be as major as a big HP bump, but it's major nonetheless -- especially bluetooth, since it's one of the main reasons everyone talks about "that other car that shall go nameless"

Old 09-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by ElCapitan
http://www.6thgenmaxima.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57
Old 09-19-2005, 07:18 PM

another sort of off topic, but is anyone using something like the MyFi in their cars? I have a hook up that can get me one cheap and am wondering if this might be some sort of alternative.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

don't pull the unit just for this. i think most likely the sticker slapper was going through the motions.
this is what u are looking for:

I'm definately not pre-wired. I'm also not surprised that an American auto plant made that mistake with the sticker.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:41 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by viguera
Well I actually think that adding bluetooth and removing the SAT input (if they did) is what I'd call a significant change.
B lietooth is significant, but SAT is still available. Prewired is only with DPP. HiTech had a false sticker. Only make sense not to include the SAT button if oem install is not possible. Not many 04-05 w/o BOSE here, but I'm sure they also are w/o the SAT button.

do iPods come with RF modulators or tape outputs? you could do that with aftermarket Sirius. if you're that animate about using RCA inputs, I suppose you could take the dash apart. I would call Nissan, Crutchfield, dealers, and/or auto shops first to see if they know other options.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:54 PM

In my previous car I had the XM antenna mounted on the roof, and consequently
it had a 180 deg. view of the sky in all directions.

With the antenna on the dash, dont you have problems when your car is facing
North?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:58 AM
GrandPa

Originally Posted by F5Nikon
another sort of off topic, but is anyone using something like the MyFi in their cars? I have a hook up that can get me one cheap and am wondering if this might be some sort of alternative.
Maybe this tread can help you. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=430373

BTW I just brought the Canon PowerShot S1 IS. I am loving it.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

installed sirius and the roof antenna... its great

Old 09-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Anyone know how to put a serious sat on a younger 2004 maxima?

It seems like the wire that goes from the cd player to the trunk isnt there?
The younger 2004 (younger serial number) doesnt have that wire.
Anyone know how to do this?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:54 PM

Its sirius lol
Old 09-29-2005, 03:54 PM

good question.. I don't think anyone has tried to wire the whole sat radio in their car yet...
Old 09-29-2005, 04:16 PM

I think if the car is not pre-wired, it's probably more cost effective to use an aftermarket setup.

I'm not sure... but you'd probably need to check the HU and see if the SAT plug is even there (I don't know if it's different for non-wired units)... assuming that it's there, you'd need the receiver and the wiring harness for the thing... knowing Nissan, it's probably ridiculously expensive. The receiver is $350-400 online depending on where you shop, but I have no idea how much the wiring would go for.

You can always try to salvage the parts from a junyed wired car... but my guess is that getting the wiring off a junkyard is going to be next to impossible. I suppose you can try to make your own (hey, it's just wiring ) but even if you can get the right connector (like the PAC adapter uses) I'm sure it's still gonna be a hassle.

The alternative would be to just get an aftermarket HU with Sirius (but that means getting a metra kit as well) or getting one of those receivers that you can plug into the HU. You'd lose the integration and you'd still need either a tape adapter, FM modulator or AAI-NIS, but I'm sure it's still gonna be a fraction of the cost of the OEM receiver, antenna and wiring.

I think.

-- edit --

I stand corrected... leeparts has the receiver for $302, although the '06 seems to be only $292 for some reason. I think from the description they have that the antenna is included, so you'd be looking at just $300 + shipping + wiring (who knows how much).
Old 09-29-2005, 06:47 PM
SuPeRmOd

um you know you have to be prewired right??? otherwise just get aftermarket.
edit:
look above for prewired pic inside rear deck. without those, you cannot have oem SAT unless you enjoy rewiring, splicing, etc your entire audio set up.

www.sirius.com has many aftermarket options.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:50 PM
supernet33

I got mine installed from the dealer, for $500.00 installed.
I have a 2006 SE fully loaded, well with out GPS.
With blue tooth. But yea it is great.
The only thing i don't like is , i can't use the mode button to get it to go there

Quick Reply: SAT radio question HELP!!!