Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

HOW TO: Add aux to stock bose...

Old 06-27-2005, 02:17 AM

uh... dan?
what about that 99 unit?! lol
also, dumb question...
my aux switch has 3 prongs. one ground and one power. gnd to gnd and pwr to pwr. duh, but the third is called "load" and the switch is supposed to light up (i thought it would be cool) the switch doesnt light up however and i tried every combination with the other ones... least ui thought i did
any thoughts/help?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:25 PM

Got this to work on Sunday. Many thanks to Dan for figuring this out and posting it. I did notice one thing. I have a cd changer and if I have my ipod connected and turned on and I press the cd changer button, I get sound from both sources without turning on the aux button. So, for those who don't feel like opening up the stereo, it may be possible to run the wires from the cd changer port/plug instead.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Originally Posted by roruiz
Got this to work on Sunday. Many thanks to Dan for figuring this out and posting it. I did notice one thing. I have a cd changer and if I have my ipod connected and turned on and I press the cd changer button, I get sound from both sources without turning on the aux button. So, for those who don't feel like opening up the stereo, it may be possible to run the wires from the cd changer port/plug instead.

You cannot enter aux mode from the CD changer plug. If there is no cd changer present, the radio will not enter CD-Changer mode. I tried this already, and you can't force the radio into cd-changer mode without a changer present.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Originally Posted by alphaerror
uh... dan?
what about that 99 unit?! lol
also, dumb question...
my aux switch has 3 prongs. one ground and one power. gnd to gnd and pwr to pwr. duh, but the third is called "load" and the switch is supposed to light up (i thought it would be cool) the switch doesnt light up however and i tried every combination with the other ones... least ui thought i did
any thoughts/help?
Is this just a switch you bought at radio shack? A switch is a simple device, it just connects the 2 wires. If it is a lighted switch, it will probably need a 12V source for the light. Be careful, though if you wire it incorrectly, you will short that 12V source to ground and blow a fuse.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
Is this just a switch you bought at radio shack? A switch is a simple device, it just connects the 2 wires. If it is a lighted switch, it will probably need a 12V source for the light. Be careful, though if you wire it incorrectly, you will short that 12V source to ground and blow a fuse.
yea, it is a lighted switch. so i just need to take what? a + and - from a 12v source, say a cig lighter and hook it up there? Its working... but i want to get it to light up. the part i dont understand is, if i hook up a + and - to it (the last, single prong) wont it short out? cuz that'd be the same curcuit as hooking up a + and - up to each other.

so simple its hard for a retard...
Old 07-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It worked for me here too, thanks a ton for the information Dan.

-Matthew
Old 08-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

It worked for me too ... kinda.. however, I just left the (-) signals floating since I wantd to see if it worked quickly - and it did, but really quiet. Since my IPOD doesn't have differential outputs, if I ground the negative pairs, will that be ok? Has anyone made a single-ended -> differential converter for this yet?
Old 09-28-2005, 07:22 PM

Before I attempt this, I have to fully understand it.

So, once all of the wiring is done, you just turn on the switch and the HU will read AUX on it and from there you plug your ipod into your RCA's and your done?
Old 09-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

That's correct. Turn the switch off and power on the HU to go to CD, FM, etc. Good luck!
Old 09-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone tried this on an 00? If so, can the changer plug pin outs be used without pcb work?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

genius, absolutely genius
Old 11-02-2005, 09:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Can anyone please send me the Matt Cervi's PDF entitled: Matts_Nissan_Bose_Aux_Input_Circuit.pdf

It's reference above at an IP address but I cannot seem to access it.

Thanks so much!
Shane
Old 11-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Back from the dead

its in an audio forum stickey. go searching lol
Old 11-04-2005, 04:02 PM

wow.. i will have your kids for this great info!
Old 11-05-2005, 02:36 PM
Back from the dead

Did this today. OMFG i love you man, i flipped the switch and it went quiet and i was like o **** this guy owns all. Ipod ownage! 13 dollars on materials at radio shack! I love you i love you! wootzor THIS WORKS DO IT!
Old 11-05-2005, 05:38 PM

rockford, what kind of switch did you get, and where did you mount it?
Old 11-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Custom User Title

Looks like I will have something to do this Christmas

Seriously, I would have never ever figured out something like this..

I think im going to make a custom docking mechinism for my Nano using a headphone output.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dan,

You are da Man!, just completed this on my 95' Max and it were perfectly with my new 60 GB iPod.

Thanks very much for posting this.

Ben
Old 11-20-2005, 08:48 PM

thanks for the great info.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:43 AM
Custom User Title

Anyone doing this to connect an Ipod, I STRONGLY urge you to connect the AUX to the line out pins via the dock connector. I did it this way and you don't have to turn the volume all the way up just to hear it.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by ghz
my intentions were to hook up an ipod if i ever complete this successfully...could you elaborate on what you mean?
All Ipod's with the dock connector have line out pins.. You can either make your own 30 pin connector, and connect your AUX wires to these pins, or you can buy this:

This is the cable I bought, which charges and has a line out input. Also with this, you don't get that annoying hiss when you pause the Ipod.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I built the circuit designed by "Cornblatt" which was posted by Dan on 6-20-2005.
What a pain to build! The components in the list are for SMT and not the old solder, through wire components. But persevered and built on a RadioShack component board and inserted in an empty Staples pencil box behind the radio. Ipod sits in the slide out tray under the radio nicely hiden. The small switch is also inside. Used the Incase car/ ipod charger with a single cable from the bottom which has a line out on the cigarette lighter end. I wired an additional cigarette lighter off the existing one and hid it in the dash, so no cables showing. Works like a dream. Turn on the radio and hit the switch and the radio goes to AUX, switch on the ipod and enjoy. The volume is about the same loudness as the radio and no alternator whine. Hit the CD or radio button and it switches back. Highly recommend but make sure you have a lot of extra time to spend working this out.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:31 AM
silviaguy

anyone done this on a 2002 maxima? I need a how-to for that. PLEASE!!!

Old 11-30-2005, 10:32 PM

Is there somewhere else I can download the schematics for the '98 Bose units? The link on the previous pages seem to be dead. Will definitely do this one during winter break. In the meantime, I'll have to use my hard-wired FM modulator.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:46 PM
ghz

thank you very much for the info dan, the aux in works perfectly and i'll probably be pickin up an ipod or psp to complement it .. on a side note so does madchef's display fix

Old 12-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by kchida
Is there somewhere else I can download the schematics for the '98 Bose units? The link on the previous pages seem to be dead. Will definitely do this one during winter break. In the meantime, I'll have to use my hard-wired FM modulator.
I would like to see some schematics for the '97-98 Bose HU as well... previous links are long since dead.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:25 PM

wow!!!!! how long did it take you to put everything together smart guy?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:54 PM

this doesnt work for a NON-BOSE unit. they have a different board.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nismo3112
All Ipod's with the dock connector have line out pins.. You can either make your own 30 pin connector, and connect your AUX wires to these pins, or you can buy this:

This is the cable I bought, which charges and has a line out input. Also with this, you don't get that annoying hiss when you pause the Ipod.
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....cid=25608&fp=F
It's factory refurb, but only $18 with free shipping as opposed to the normal $40 after shipping. I just ordered one--right now I'm using a "hardwired" FM transmitter for my ipod.

Anyone able to scrounge up that schematic for the '97-98 HU yet? I would loove to have it....
Old 12-26-2005, 08:23 PM

any1 know if there is anything I Can do with the 01 MAX w/ BOSE?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:06 PM

Great stuff...this deserves to be in the How-to's .....

Just got my Ipod today!.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:16 PM
Curb Rash Repair 100 a wheel

also interested if this could be used for an 00 max.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:30 AM

So anything for the '01 or is the Soundgate Aux-NISS the onyl thing out there?
Old 01-04-2006, 06:21 AM

99 w/ Bose

Hello all,

This is my first post here after lurking for a long time.

I want to hook up my new iPod to my 99 Bose head unit, but I am a little confused by this thread. Is there any reason I can't just buy an RCA-to-auxiliary adapter for this HU and run the iPod through that, like in the previous thread about this topic? I don't see myself modifying the HU unless absolutely necessary.

I found a couple auxiliary adapters that crutchfield says are compatible with the Bose HU, but the pictures look like they have different connectors from each other. I have not taken my head unit out yet - does anyone have a link to a picture of what the auxiliary connector looks like? Or can anyone recommend an adapter that is cheaper than the $90 soundgate one?

Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 01-04-2006, 08:23 AM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

If you want to go and spend $90 to add an aux, more power to you. I found a way that works and is nearly free. It's up to you.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Me too

Yeah I'm actually looking into the same thing at the moment and a lot of the sites always fail to mention anything about bose and just say that it is for a stock stereo with a cd changer. I would go soldering everything but using an auxillary adapter through the cd changer seems like a much safer route to me. Any insight anyone?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by mcardlek
Yeah I'm actually looking into the same thing at the moment and a lot of the sites always fail to mention anything about bose and just say that it is for a stock stereo with a cd changer. I would go soldering everything but using an auxillary adapter through the cd changer seems like a much safer route to me. Any insight anyone?
you're in winchester, i'm in framingham - let's grab a soldering iron and make a day of it!

what i am trying to figure out is if the $35 one on crutchfield does the same job as the $100 one. $35 is worth it for the labor it would save...$100 probably isn't. but now when i do the search crutchfield is telling me it has no adapters compatible with my stereo, so i am about to give up and use the cassette adapter for $11.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by bd8134
I built the circuit designed by "Cornblatt" which was posted by Dan on 6-20-2005.
What a pain to build! The components in the list are for SMT and not the old solder, through wire components. But persevered and built on a RadioShack component board and inserted in an empty Staples pencil box behind the radio. Ipod sits in the slide out tray under the radio nicely hiden. The small switch is also inside. Used the Incase car/ ipod charger with a single cable from the bottom which has a line out on the cigarette lighter end. I wired an additional cigarette lighter off the existing one and hid it in the dash, so no cables showing. Works like a dream. Turn on the radio and hit the switch and the radio goes to AUX, switch on the ipod and enjoy. The volume is about the same loudness as the radio and no alternator whine. Hit the CD or radio button and it switches back. Highly recommend but make sure you have a lot of extra time to spend working this out.
By any chance do you still have a copy of the circuit diagram. I'm interested in building one.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by vcazn
By any chance do you still have a copy of the circuit diagram. I'm interested in building one.
http://home.comcast.net/~euroxo/Matt...ut_Circuit.pdf

http://home.comcast.net/~euroxo/Bill_Of_Materials.rtf

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/3558/pict00224qq.jpg

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/7847/pict00254bu.jpg

Hope this helps. Credit to Dan I believe
Old 01-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
If you want to go and spend $90 to add an aux, more power to you. I found a way that works and is nearly free. It's up to you.

The speaker inputs you soldered to are from the cd changer input right?

It hard to tell with out pulling my stereo out to compair to your pictures.

Also do I have to put a switch on the ground, what it a hard wire the aux-on & ground. Isn't the cd changer always on?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Add aux to stock bose...