Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

HOW TO: Add aux to stock bose...

Old 01-08-2006, 12:00 PM

waht about the 99 head unit i want to hook up my xm.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Since people have mentioned the AUXNISS from Soundgate on here quite a bit, I thought it relevent to say that I have one for sale in perfect condition if anyone is interested. Please PM me if you are. I have recently bought a 2005 Pathfinder Bose unit with 6CD/MP3 capability and no longer need the AUXNISS (nor will it work with that unit, it needs a different adapter). It works great and I can include a ground loop isolator, at no charge, as well in case your grounds aren't so good in your car.

Thanks,

Paul
Old 01-13-2006, 04:03 AM

Location: a charming town in Connecticut first settled in the 1600s
Originally Posted by BlackKnight
I have recently bought a 2005 Pathfinder Bose unit with 6CD/MP3 capability
You installed this into your 97 i30?
Old 01-13-2006, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by FunLovinMaxima
You installed this into your 97 i30?
I did. It took some slight modification to the brackets to make it sit back about a half inch, but the connections are all the same. It looks great and works great too. It's the one that is without the Navi so it's not like built-in to the dash. The thing I like about it is that it is made by Pioneer (or Panasonic, I can't remember) instead of Clarion and has Bass/Mid/Treble adjustments instead of just Bass/Treble. It sounds beautiful compared to the old Bose unit. Anyways, it worked.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:54 AM

I did. It took some slight modification to the brackets to make it sit back about a half inch, but the connections are all the same. It looks great and works great too. It's the one that is without the Navi so it's not like built-in to the dash. The thing I like about it is that it is made by Pioneer (or Panasonic, I can't remember) instead of Clarion and has Bass/Mid/Treble adjustments instead of just Bass/Treble. It sounds beautiful compared to the old Bose unit. Anyways, it worked.
That sounds awesome! Since there's no fancy wiring involved, its just a matter of mounting it properly. Can you post or PM me a pic of how it looks in your dash? This sounds like a new project for me!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:46 AM

Here's my 2005 Pathfinder Bose HU

Enjoy!

and

Old 01-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Basically, the only thing you need to do is redrill new holes in the brackets that are almost exactly 1/2" further back, as well as hammer out the indentations that locked the old HU in place. Also, I don't know if this was because the one I bought might have been damaged, but in case you hook it up and the speaker amps don't turn on, you need to cut the Amp-On wire and splice it into the ACC wire so that they turn on when the car is on. I always have my radio on when I'm in my car, so I didn't think it would draw unnecessary current. Good luck.

Paul
Old 01-17-2006, 04:42 AM

hey thanks for the pics, that looks great! nice work!
Old 01-17-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by FunLovinMaxima
hey thanks for the pics, that looks great! nice work!
Thanks, I'm pretty happy at the results as well. Good luck to you if you decide to do the same.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

How do the circuits work on this.. looks complicating is this another way to hook up the wires? or is Dan's way easier for the 98 maxis?

i'm having trouble dysphering this please help me at i have a few questions. aim: jahshuwahjung
Old 01-28-2006, 02:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oh one more question.. why do you need a small switch? what kind of switch is it?
Old 01-28-2006, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
Another pic:
Closeup of solder connections:
Could you label which wire is which?
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 AM

can someone please tell me the link how to install amp and subs to a factory bose deck on a 99 maxima thanks
Old 02-03-2006, 07:40 AM

awesome mod, I wish I had found this thread before I installed the wife's XM receiver. Who knows though, telling her that she has to flip a switch to listen to the XM might be a bit too much for her. That, plus she probably wouldn't notice the difference in sound quality compared to the FM modulator (which actually sounds pretty stankin' good)
Old 02-10-2006, 01:52 PM

anyone perform this on a 02-03 bose headunit yet? id really like to see how it was done before i go and purchase soundgate's aux adapter
Old 02-10-2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by 97neptune
anyone perform this on a 02-03 bose headunit yet? id really like to see how it was done before i go and purchase soundgate's aux adapter
I tried using the one I had on my 2005 head unit and it didn't work at all, even though it did have the same plug in the back. I'm not sure if it is different than the 02-03 one, but I do know that if you have the built-in 6cd changer that it won't work at all. If you want, I can sell my Soundgate AUXNISS lower than new. It works great and is listed as working on the 2002-03 model Bose units. PM me if you are interested.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

awesome

got it to work! much thanks for the how-to. the only thing is even with my mp3 player at full blast and the HU volume all the way, it is only average listening. anyone else have the low volume this bad? can i do anything to fix it? thanks again for the how-to, and thanks to anyone with suggestions.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by scrooge_mcduck
got it to work! much thanks for the how-to. the only thing is even with my mp3 player at full blast and the HU volume all the way, it is only average listening. anyone else have the low volume this bad? can i do anything to fix it? thanks again for the how-to, and thanks to anyone with suggestions.
nope not that I know of. My volume on the HU has to be cranked to hear the sounds out of the MP3. But I'm working on it right now.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ryant35
Could you label which wire is which?
Instead of soldering to the circuit board (I suck at soldering), I used small crimp connectors to secure wires to the pins on the CD Changer connector. I used the pin-out diagram referenced in Dan's original email. I've got a 96 and I had to wire my switch between the "CD-Combi (RXD)" and "AUX-ON" pins. I haven't had any trouble with volume from my Treo.

I ran the switch and 1/8" jack through my ashtray so that the modification is invisble when the ashtray is closed. Many thanks to Dan - it's very cool to be able to hook up my Treo through an AUX connection.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:17 PM

did the mod on my 95 bose. it switches to AUX, but i get no sound from my ipod...

im thinking theres a small chance i might have the wires mixed up at the RCA connectors =-\

edit: crap. i super glued the wires to the board to be sure they wouldnt move.. and it made the wire hard.. when when we pushed it in that hard section of wire was leverage to break all the solder connections... the wires all fell off and came out.. so im gunna have to re-do it a little differantly tomorow... sigh
Old 04-30-2006, 06:12 PM

finally fixed mine. works great!

thanks alot!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:16 PM

Alright so i tried the soldering! Was my first time and cant say it was easy!

After hooking up everything. It said AUX and everything, but only my left speakers were playing. So i took it back in and readjusted everything and then i couldnt hear anythign! Just to make sure you hook the L- and R- together and the L+ and R+ together right? Just incase i screwed it up i tried everyway possible to hook up the Rca's. And still cant hear a thing!

Any Info would Help!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:24 AM

Um, you can hook the -s together but not the +s.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Alaprade
Alright so i tried the soldering! Was my first time and cant say it was easy!

After hooking up everything. It said AUX and everything, but only my left speakers were playing. So i took it back in and readjusted everything and then i couldnt hear anythign! Just to make sure you hook the L- and R- together and the L+ and R+ together right? Just incase i screwed it up i tried everyway possible to hook up the Rca's. And still cant hear a thing!

Any Info would Help!
you need to hook up the +r to the center wire of the rca, and the -r to the outside part of the rca. do the same for L.

if you hook up -r and -l to the same rca youll get nothing.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:18 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make it so that one of the buttons on the normal face of the stereo was the switch to AUX. My tape deck is broken beyond repair, so I'd love to be able to just press that and switch to my rio.

any ideas?
Old 05-08-2006, 08:49 PM

I did it the normal way, workes great. I can get some pics of my switch mount if people want to see it
Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm desperately seeking a way to put an AUX in with the 2k2 6CD bose unit. Those Bose jerks didn't anticipate the ipod revolution. Any ideas?
Old 05-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by EdgeVetto
I was wondering if anyone knew how to make it so that one of the buttons on the normal face of the stereo was the switch to AUX. My tape deck is broken beyond repair, so I'd love to be able to just press that and switch to my rio.

any ideas?
I believe it has to be an on/off switch.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:03 PM

where does the switch go?? i would like to use this mod for my XM radio, thanks.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Custom User Title

The actual switch can go anywhere.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:24 PM
Banned

can anyone give a clear and definate answer if this works 100% sure on BOSE from a '99 ?????
Thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 04:07 PM

hey i just tried this... i have a 98 HU. i soldered the aux and the rxd together and that is working w/ the switch but the right and left have me confused. if you look at the diagram on the first page provided i soldered the two connections for R and L, (+) and (-) under the left black arrow. some help please. i think it may be that i didnt use the connections under the black arrow.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good Ipod Aux Input in my 2000 Maxima

Hi Guys,

I was about to attempt Dan's Hack but gutted out at the last minute. Luckily in my Ebay surfing I found a simpler alternative. The USASPEC PA11. It hooks in to the CD Changer input and has a dock connector for newer Ipods.

The unit emulates a CD Changer (which I never had) and you control your Ipod through the Bose head unit. To best interface with the car's controls you should create the 5 Ipod playlists the manual recommends.

Not too glitchy. Good sound and volume. Well worth it for $100 and no soldering!

Scott
Old 07-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Dan
No Longer Owns a Maxima

Wow, $100? I think it's well worth the saved cost. Heck, you're in LA, you could have come down here for help. Well, I hope you enjoy the new setup!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:38 PM

Thanks, I'm pretty happy at the results as well. Good luck to you if you decide to do the same.
According to Nissan's website, the 2005/2006 Pathfinder BOSE unit is compatible with the IPOD. Have you tried using an ipod with that unit?
Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

iPod Control

With the info from this site: http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/10/h...r-dock-part-4/ a controller should be possible. I suggest tossing out the MAX232 and replacing it with a microcontroller like the basic stamp to throw out the iPod mode 2 serial commands when it recieves the corresponding signals from the bose HU. Perhaps this Microcontroller could be used to send the signal to the HU that there is a changer on it (i'm thinking about resell with the HU, and would like to leave it unmodded.) I'm pretty sure the Microcontroller can sample the signals, then it's a simple If Than command. The output signals are here: http://ipodlinux.org/Apple_Accessory_Protocol This dock could also probibly keep the iPod charged through the USD +5v cable if a power regulator is added to the board. possibly a timer or sensing circut to prevent overcharging. Also, I'm thinking about modding the ashtray to become the dock to hold the iPod. (P.S. this time yesterday I was smashing my head against the wall trying to work out this much...)
Old 07-30-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by j_bryan
According to Nissan's website, the 2005/2006 Pathfinder BOSE unit is compatible with the IPOD. Have you tried using an ipod with that unit?
Wish I had an Ipod and adapter to try. Don't though. If someone wants to let me borrow an adapter, I could try it with my friend's Ipod.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:09 PM

trying it now...hopefully it'll work..
Old 08-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i too have an 02 with bose 6-disc indash... anyone have a solid solution. I just finished a modulator install and it SUCKS... help... please...
Old 08-20-2006, 06:19 AM

We may have a solution here guys!

We may have a solution here guys!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=220019128069

I just messaged him asking if it would fit my 95 Bose HU, think we could use this for adding an ipod, etc.? Im pretty sure that 5pin is for our cd changer. And if there isnt a cd changer there then we can use that as an aux.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HOW TO: Add aux to stock bose...