Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Is The Best Amp Still Alpine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes

Truth is, just about every single modern day amplifier is going to sound virtually identical to each other when equally driven.

A watt is certainly a watt, but doesnt make one amplifier equal to another- nor indicates that both will perform indentically under the very same condition as the next one.

Some amps are overbuilt, some make rated power, while some do not make rated power or do so borderline clipping. Some have diff voltage/sensitivity tolerances, higher sparation....yada yada...the obvious

Design, build quality, and features is what separates one from another.

Originally Posted by nismos14
Kicker is like RF. Their older stuff easily outshines the new, the fact is they are now more into selling as much as possible rather than the highest quality available.
Cant help but to disagree. Having owned ZR's and KX's, Kicker until this day makes solid amplifiers, well built and well overated in power. The ZR's were great amps, but not perfect either- were VERY inefficient (as the new RF Power amps) so all that supposed power never quite translated into the automotive environment- specially the avg, non-competition ready-electrical
vehicle. What was nice is that the whole ZR line was a/b power( zr1000/600 were beasts on subs), but even to this day I detest the xover port modules= the suckey
The only thing that has changed in Kicker is that they build'm overseas(Taiwan?) Nothing wrong with an overseas built amplifier.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 PM

Great points Manny! Although power is power, some amps have regulated power supplies and some don't. Certainly, a class d is very different than a class a/b, etc. . . So there are definitely differences in amps, so picking the right one for the job is essential. If, however, you don't care if the xover has a 24dB slope vs a 18dB slope, or if you don't care if there are pre-outs on the amp [as examples], then things can get simpler.

In this case, since we're talking about the guys subs, I would say almost any class D amp will do him just fine, but if he wants room to grow, he should consider some of the options everyone has listed for him.

btw, I have never had any problems with Kicker or RF amps, in fact their better lines usually work just fine [power-wise], at least for sub amps. Personally, I love the old art series PPI amps [as pictured above], and even the pro series a few years later.

dh
Old 09-05-2005, 12:08 PM

I must admit, alot of rambling has gone in the ways of powering some BOSS subs...hehe
Old 09-05-2005, 01:10 PM
Back from Hibernation

Oh, I didn't know the amp was for Boss subs. In that case, I'd recommend a Brax if it's in a sealed enclosure, a Tru T03 if ported, and if in a bandpass box, spring for the Tru Copper.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by BBOYSTEVIE
Oh, I didn't know the amp was for Boss subs. In that case, I'd recommend a Brax if it's in a sealed enclosure, a Tru T03 if ported, and if in a bandpass box, spring for the Tru Copper.
Nah, Genesis Dual Mono's
Old 09-05-2005, 04:00 PM

eh i agree with Manny...this arguement will never be over nor will it ever be solved scientifically. peoples' ears are different and thus nobody will have a clear cut amazing super duper amp. now hows that for a useless response?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:01 PM
drag racing is for wussies

http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps..._MRV-1507.html

I have this sucker sitting around waiting to power my DVC Titanium 4ohm per coil Eclipse 12" in a sealed enclosure. It cost me bout 150 bux to get it and have it repaired after someone burned out the main board trying to hook it up. I am not big into car audio, but I tend to stick with name brands like, RF, Eclipse, Alpine, Phoenix Gold, and Orion (old HCCA amps). I also got a same series 60x4 RMS Alpine V12 to install too, I wanna have it all runing by next weekend. What you guys think ? 150 bux for MRV-1507 ?
Old 09-05-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tony Fernandes
I searched their website and couldn't find the article you were referring to. Can you sum up their findings or provide a link?

Tony
Here is a link to it(http://caraudiomag.com/testreports/0508cae_ampcomp/), but it only talks about what they are going to do, nothing about the actual listening tests. I have to look for the magazine. It was a two issue test thing with a tube amp, an A/B amp, and full range class D and G amplifiers. The second test being the listening part. If I remember right this was not a test where an amp just ran away with it. There was a "winner" but the point score difference was not by much, and not all judges agreed 100%. They had four judges all with many years of experience in competitions.

I believe in getting an amp that will work with your setup. If it has the power you want, the functions you want, and it fits within your budget, then that is the pefect amp for your situation. I've had a couple of Alpine amps and I was very happy with both of them. They performed well and just kept on going. One was a class AB (MRV-T757) and the other a class D (MRD-M501).
Old 09-06-2005, 12:55 AM

call me a retard but i think amps are amps, they are made to amplify a signal but if you get a nice signal processor "crossover" you can clean up a lot of distortion, especially if your running of stock head unit. Paired with a pac converter, a crossover can do a lot to clean up and make any system sound much clearer. My setup isnt the best but im sure as hell itll put up a nice battle with any of the "claimed" best out there. Im running full stock setup except i have a jbl bp600.1 with a 3way crossover with a single perfect 12vq with the mid insert. The jbl is one ohm stable to 600 and 600 at 2 ohms but with this single its 4 ohm at 300 and hits hard and clean with the crossover. I think any system can be badass with proper tuning and doesnt require the best out there. The best out there is soooooo biased..... Just pair up the proper equipment and you can produce what you desire at the "price" you desire. You dont have to be a rich **** to get a damn nice sounding system. You get what you pay for is justfiable up to a point but the rest is BS..... Just my .02 cents cause if you know what your doing anything is achievable....
Old 09-06-2005, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by PerfectVQ I30
call me a retard but i think amps are amps, they are made to amplify a signal but if you get a nice signal processor "crossover" you can clean up a lot of distortion, especially if your running of stock head unit. Paired with a pac converter, a crossover can do a lot to clean up and make any system sound much clearer.
I wont call you a retard...

All a signal processor or any preamp eq/xover will do is boost the voltage to the amplifier, in any case boosting whatever signal coming from your source.It wont clean up anything, but you can attenuate/cut frequencies that audibly need it or xover where you need to. Doesn't make it an ideal solution. Whatever you add on after the source still feeds off the original signal.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:36 AM

I like:
Diamond
US Amps (last years models and before, especially the tubes)
PPI (older stuff)
Audison (probably make the best tube amp)
Arc
Butler (ppi tube driver is the same)
Zapco
Brax
Tru

I mainly like tube amps
Old 09-06-2005, 10:37 AM

pac converter???

maybe dac
Old 09-06-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by C3nthusiast
The best ever.

Those are my favorite ppi amps besides the ppi tube drivers (aren't actually made by ppi)
Old 09-08-2005, 11:33 AM

Thanks for the input. Just want to say I have a limited output. I have sweet home set up, just never had amps or subs in the car. The BOSS subs are in a home built box and that looks flimsy to me.

I am going to have to do a lot of research again on these amps. I need inexpensive but quality.

Set up is going to be a foreseeable pain. Haven't installed a stereo for about 7 years. And haven't installed on in the max though I have a sony xplod (sucks).
Old 09-08-2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by CreativeDesignz
, The shop where i get my ID max's and DLS iridiums setup a civic with all of the oldest possible zapco amps, the zapco amps actually have plugs which connect each one almost like an electric guitar wire that goes into the amplifier they use. it is one of the first zapco amps ever produced,speakers are some really old brnad i cant remeber the name. and an eclipse CD player from like 1988. thsi was turned into a full SQ car and won first place in SQ comp its first time out i dont remeber where but they used over 30 year old amps and equipment mostly by zapco. i thought it was pretty neat it was like a completely vintage SQ car which beat all the new tech thats out there today.
If you can get more info on this, I would like to see it..