Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread

Old 03-06-2008, 11:07 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Ya the bose amp uses LOW level outputs that the bose HU provides, a metra 70-7551 does exactly what you need.

Crutchfield is good, but their knowledge is very basic.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well Since I cant make a thread I figure I will just post my question here. I use to own a 91 civic and Now I own a 99 Maxima(Big Difference!!!)

Anywho I Am Having my Bose Factory Radio Replaced with This and the Guy that did my radio said that all the wiring is correct and there is power going to my radio. Its just that there is no sound coming out what so ever. He called his friend and asked him about it and his friend said to run speaker wires from each of the speakers to the HU and it will work.

Is there a safier and better way then doing this. I really dont want them digging through my doors just to hook up my speakers?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:24 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Metrs 70-7551 or connect the remote wire from the harness that is already there.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

im sorry im not very good with Car Audio Language
Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So I ordered the alpine 9885 with the 70-7551 adapter which I should be receiving today. I spoke with a guy to install it for me (i am a noob and dont have time to do it) and he said that he has a problem installing anybrand except kenwood HU's into a car with bose because only Kenwood has a line leveling setting built in. Is this true and do I really need a built in line leveling setting? What is it?

Thanks again. I appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:54 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by kgallerie
So I ordered the alpine 9885 with the 70-7551 adapter which I should be receiving today. I spoke with a guy to install it for me (i am a noob and dont have time to do it) and he said that he has a problem installing anybrand except kenwood HU's into a car with bose because only Kenwood has a line leveling setting built in. Is this true and do I really need a built in line leveling setting? What is it?

Thanks again. I appreciate it.
This is what your 70-7551 is for. I would take my car elsewhere.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Tousen
Well Since I cant make a thread I figure I will just post my question here. I use to own a 91 civic and Now I own a 99 Maxima(Big Difference!!!)

Anywho I Am Having my Bose Factory Radio Replaced with This and the Guy that did my radio said that all the wiring is correct and there is power going to my radio. Its just that there is no sound coming out what so ever. He called his friend and asked him about it and his friend said to run speaker wires from each of the speakers to the HU and it will work.

Is there a safier and better way then doing this. I really dont want them digging through my doors just to hook up my speakers?
Originally Posted by nismos14
Metrs 70-7551 or connect the remote wire from the harness that is already there.
Originally Posted by Tousen
im sorry im not very good with Car Audio Language
after some very hard stupiding of finding out what the problem was I came to the conslusion that the guy brought the 70-7550 for my car instead of the one you are reffering about. So now I gotta wait until I can get a 70-7551 adapter

You know i really cant stand people that claim they know everything and the inventor of cars but when its time to actually do work they have noooooo clue. This guy has been trying to work on my syste, for nearly a month now.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM

This is what your 70-7551 is for. I would take my car elsewhere.
Thanks again for your help nismos.......i think that guy does a lot of work with kenwood so he is probably trying to push them. I will look elsewhere.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 PM

The pac is not necessarily better. The bottom line is, if you get a headunit that has preout voltage greater than 4 volts, the metra 70-7551 is all you need!
Nismo, is a 2 volts output signal (not 4 V) of the HU enough to push the amped boss speaker through 70-7551?

I am currently using crutchfield converter (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/P...sp?i=142C4NN03 ) to convert the aftermarket HU speaker level output signal and send the converted signals to Boss speakers. I think the process of amplifying, then converting back to weak signal, and amplifying again (by the boss amps) will reduce the clarity of the signals. I am getting rid of the crutchfield converter, getting a 70-7551, and connect the pre-amp signal to the boss speaker amps. No sure whether I can get a better sound.

Last edited by dashan; 03-11-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

let us know if the sound quality is better?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 PM

so i need that metro 70-7551 cable to use an aftermarket HU with my 02 bose system?
Do i also need some other harness/adapter to retain use of the steering wheel controls?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
so i need that metro 70-7551 cable to use an aftermarket HU with my 02 bose system?
Do i also need some other harness/adapter to retain use of the steering wheel controls?
I believe post #16 in the FAQ sticky......
Old 03-30-2008, 01:58 PM

thread has been edited, i put a blobin about ground loop isolators which helped to cure my alternator whine and pop noise
Old 04-10-2008, 01:56 AM

Stupid question...but the RCA jacks at the end of the Metra kit, where do they plug in to?

This kit:

Old 04-10-2008, 05:36 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Head unit preouts.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 AM

so there is absolutly no way to wire in a 99 harness to a 94 harness nismos14?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Head unit preouts.
Thanks a lot for answering. Another stupid question, though...the plugs on the LEFT right? The ones I have circled on the pic of my HU below?

Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by Thanatos
so there is absolutly no way to wire in a 99 harness to a 94 harness nismos14?
You can, but there is absolutely no reason to, and you won't gain anything by doing it.

Originally Posted by Evil Empire
Thanks a lot for answering. Another stupid question, though...the plugs on the LEFT right? The ones I have circled on the pic of my HU below?

Thanks again.
Yes sir.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:59 AM

You can, but there is absolutely no reason to, and you won't gain anything by doing it.

Yes sir.
i am not trying to gain anything. i am just wanting to replace my old with this to keep a factory look. i really do not want to go with aftermarket. i couldnt find the same as mine so i got the one from a 98 model not knowing of the plug difference. i use my ipod all the time anyhow. so can this work.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:01 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Your best bet is to find an oem one.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:07 AM

oem what. both units are stock units.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 AM

here are the two units. my factoy unit is on the right-back side. and on the left-front side. other unit is the 98 model. [/IMG] [/IMG]
Old 04-11-2008, 05:20 PM

Yes sir.
Thanks a lot for the response, I really appreciate it. Just one more question haha...if the output of the HU is 4X22RMS, would the internal amp be stronger than the Bose amp? And which would sound better, using the internal amp of the HU or the Bose amp? I really miss listening to CDs lol...
Old 04-11-2008, 05:33 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Bose does not post specs of their amps, so no real way to say. HU would sound better than bose.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:44 PM

Bose does not post specs of their amps, so no real way to say. HU would sound better than bose.
So would you say that it maybe might be better to hook up the wiring harnesses without the RCAs and just disconnect the stock amp?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Evil Empire
So would you say that it maybe might be better to hook up the wiring harnesses without the RCAs and just disconnect the stock amp?
Maybe?
Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM

the signal will be crappy from the HU if you dont use the pre outs. it will work and will send a signal to the bose amps but it will not be a clean signal. Keep in mind the speakers are 1ohm so running it directly may cause an issue. i have heard of people running it directly and never having an issue. personally, i dont believe in doing that and it would most likely cause more trouble later.

as for wanting to keep a clean look, you are doing yourself a disservice by trying to find a refurb one. If you want a nice look, get yourself a 2 din touch screen. It looks sooooooooooo clean and much better than a stock look. its up to you in the end.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by SuBXeRo
the signal will be crappy from the HU if you dont use the pre outs. it will work and will send a signal to the bose amps but it will not be a clean signal. Keep in mind the speakers are 1ohm so running it directly may cause an issue. i have heard of people running it directly and never having an issue. personally, i dont believe in doing that and it would most likely cause more trouble later.
Thanks for the response. BTW, where are you in AZ? I'm in North Phoenix
Old 04-15-2008, 06:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

well I ordered a metra 70-7551 kit and was looking around for a ground loop isolator to go with it when I stumbled accross this, http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...ing&strSearch=
and this
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...ing&strSearch=
found it for ~35 shipped on ebay, will end up being the same price as the metra kit and isolators, my main question is do you think the adjustable gain is going to perform better on this unit over the metra with 2 ground loop isolators? it's going in a 02 SE bose system with a kenwood excelon unit 5v preouts with headunit amp disabled
Old 04-15-2008, 08:49 AM

Evil - i am in tempe at the moment, on university, woot woot for school.

todd - your kenwood puts out 5v for the preamps, that is more than twice what my alpine puts out and i am searching for a cheap and good line driver. I would, before you spend your money, hookup your kenwood and see how it performs. IF the 5v is not enough signal for the bose amps and its not pushing it, i would then consider finding a line driver. In my bose thread, i have suggested a ground loop isolator that has worked in my car and after about 2 to 3 weeks of use, i can say that i am satisfied with my purchase.

That one peripheral item, the 4 channel thing has very limited info and the link to the specs page is broken. Without more info, i would suggest not buying it. The second harness is not needed. As i said before, test out ur new setup with the metra harness. If you have alternator whine or other issues, next step is the isolators. If you still are lacking the loud volume, then look into purchasing a line driver.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

yeah, I noticed the link is broken, but I did notice the 2 channel version's link works

and yeah at this point I'll wait till my metra harness gets here and give it a shot, but one thing I noticed is it says unless using a 4v+ preamp output the line level inputs would do better
thanks for the response
Old 04-15-2008, 09:00 AM

np man, i am here to help
Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 AM

non Bose system want to use bose speakers

Hi i have 2002 nissan max stock non bose system. my right front speaker just went out..Can i replace it with someone else bose 2002 speakers.

what would i need to do this..can i just put in any speaker?
Old 04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

you can't use a bose speaker, you would need a speaker out of a non bose car or aftermarket speakers should work
Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM

putting bose in would be going the wrong direction, the goal is to get rid of it lol.

in all seriousness though, you dont want to put a bose speaker in. you can pretty much put any speaker in you want as long as it is 4ohms. i would replace the pair though so you dont have 1 speaker that sounds different then the rest
Old 04-15-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by toddm27
well I ordered a metra 70-7551 kit and was looking around for a ground loop isolator to go with it when I stumbled accross this, http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...ing&strSearch=
and this
http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...ing&strSearch=
found it for ~35 shipped on ebay, will end up being the same price as the metra kit and isolators, my main question is do you think the adjustable gain is going to perform better on this unit over the metra with 2 ground loop isolators? it's going in a 02 SE bose system with a kenwood excelon unit 5v preouts with headunit amp disabled
Last night I pulled the stereo out of my wife's 91 Maxima that originally had Bose. The headunit had been replaced by the previous owner with a Pioneer. Stock Bose speakers though (from 1991!). Anyway when I pulled it out I found a "Peripheral Electronics" adapter in there. I went through and adjusted all the gains, helping the sound out a lot. Adjusting all the gains was kind of a pain though, and I'm glad I'm getting the Metra for my car that doesn't require adjusting gains.

The speakers still pop like crazy when the stereo is turned on and off. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the Peripheral adapter or not though, and one of the rear Bose speakers is completely blown, so that might be causing problems too. The sound from the speakers still sound amazingly good though considering the age of them. It took me a good 20 minutes to dial in the settings as good as I could on the Peripheral adapter. After having used this adapter, I'd think it would be much easier to use the Metra 70-7551 that they talk about so much here.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2000 maxima se with the premium bose sound system. The sub keeps going in and out. I know which connector it is and all that stuff, thats not my main concern though. Right now i would like to get an aftermarket deck. I really would like one of the 7in screens that you just pop in there like burnurass on the first page of this forum. Any suggestions? and what kind of price am i looking at. I also really like this http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/prod...model=CDE-9874 , anyone know anything about this one or if it can go in my car?
Old 04-17-2008, 12:21 AM

dont be scared because you have a sub thats factory fit. that one has an amp to itself i would assume. if it is like that, it still needs a sound signal so make sure you get an aftermarket HU with sub preouts.

All of alpines stuff is pretty good most of the time. I would just get a fully functional touchscreen HU. Alpine makes goo hu's but their screens are slacking a bit imo. Pioneer screens actually caught my eye when i was looking at new HU's. Go to a store, best buy, circuit city, local electronics store, and others and scour the HU's that they have and see what screens you like best.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM

awesome right-up SuBXeRo ... very informative...
Old 04-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so all i need is an aftermarket head unit that has sub preouts? Do you think i could do the installing like is it easy? Or should i just pay the $50 bucks and have them do it at circuit city

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The BOSE Radio/Speaker Replacement thread