Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Help!!! Trying to get rid of Static Noise on XM install!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help!!! Trying to get rid of Static Noise on XM install!

Hello,

This is not related to my Maxima but since it is a XM receiver question.... i decided to ask for your help!

This is for my wife's car - 2004 Acura TSX with Navi & AT. Basically, I am trying to install and XM radio receiver (RoadyXT) and i am using an OEM Honda Adapter to do a direct connect to the head unit. The install of the Honda adapter went smooth and i have a perfectly well working AUX input. (Using the CD/AUX button on the HU)
I tested with an iPod and the sound is great. So, now I want to use the same input to connect an XM radio. Should be simple, right?

I ran all the necessary wiring for the XM receiver and i decided to use the secondary cigarette lighter plug under the arm rest to get power from. This is where it all started. As soon as plugged the power source to the XM radio I could hear a lot of static/noise. Engine was NOT even running but the car was on "on" position, obviously to power on the HU/Navi, etc.
With the engine running, the noise got slightly worse, but either way - the static noise was very disturbing at almost any volume. Running the engine or not - not a huge difference.

I tried a "Ground loop insulator" from Radio Shack and I had very limited success. I got less noise but it was still very obvious and disturbing even at half volume - not acceptable at all. Plus, with it, I started to hear some whine from the engine as RPM went up.

I tried something else, kind of extreme - I ran extension cord from the car battery all the way to the XM adapter and I still got the same noise - with the engine ON or OFF.

Here is the interesting part... I ran an extension cigarette lighter cord from another car (Nissan Maxima), plugged the XM radio as it is in the Acura to the extension cord and I got perfect sound. No noise, no static.
Just to confirm, I also ran a power cord from the garage to the Acura and used a "home kit" power adapter for the XM radio - again, no noise - just perfect sound.

Looks like my Acura TSX, somehow, generates a lot of noise. Not sure how and why but at this point, I do not know what to do. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Please help!

Thank you!