Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Subwoofer placement...back, front, up or sides

Old 12-29-2003, 10:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Subwoofer placement...back, front, up or sides

I just bought two 10" Type R subs that I'm powering with a SoundStream amp. I'm thinking there are 4 different ways to mount these, while still keeping the stock pass-thru in the seats.

1) face the trunk
2) face the seats
3) face up
4) face each other

Has anyone played around with these configurations and come up with the best layout for their vehicle? I'm leaning towards directly them upwards, because I'll never have stuff laying on top of em (luggage, junk, etc). And with the pass thru open, it will pressurize the cabin as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

For reference, they will be sealed enclosures and I'm looking for 75% SQ, 25% SPL.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Im izz sexay

If you are skilled in craftsmenship you can drill two 10" holes in your rear deck and place the subs in there. Now you get 100% sub bass.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:40 PM

All this is hearsay in my 5 years lurking various boards online...
1. Probably the loudest option, but bass is a little sloppier.
2. Will provide tighter, but less loud, bass than if facing back.
3. I've never actually heard anything about facing subs up in a trunk, nor have I ever heard of anyone doing it I don't think. In my Mustang, I have a box in place of the rear seat w/the subs facing up, and I noticed a little less loudness than before (when the subs faced the hatch glass).
4. Absolutely do NOT face them towards each other - they will cancel eachother out and you'll get no bass...

The difference between 1 and 2 is, to me, negligable...
Hope this helps a little...
Old 12-29-2003, 09:46 PM

Usually, with the subs aimed toward the trunk, you'll get more spl than faced the seats. If faced the seats, the bass will be a bit tighter and less boomy. DON'T mount the subs in the rear deck if they're not designed for free air play. you CAN face them towards each other, it won't cancel each other out.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:06 PM

Sealed and face the trunk. Don't rig it. Geta box...
Old 12-30-2003, 06:09 AM

I'm definitely using a sealed enclosure...do you think I could get away with facing the subs towards the seats, but have like a 1" or 2" gap between the sub and the back of the seats? I have the equipment to drill a hole in the deck, but I'm thinking it might be difficult to seal an enclosure around this setup. The subs I bought are NOT free air approved.

Will the base be significantly tighter if I mount them in the deck as opposed to just behind the seat (facing the seat)? Has anyone mounted in the rear deck and been successful at sealing with an enclosure?

Thanks for all your help
Old 12-30-2003, 07:14 AM

"Base Needs Air To Travel"
Old 12-30-2003, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by image
"Base Needs Air To Travel"
Long wavelength sound is good at travelling through anything.

I'm concerned that putting the subs too close to the back of the seats might rob them of a discharge air plenum big enough to allow full sub extension. Sort of like a piston that has a pinhole sized exhaust port. The sub is already sort of restricted to moving out of the enclosure because its sealed. I don't want to give it another reason not to extend fully.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:54 AM

The easiest and best way for his setup is to mount the subs in a sealed/ported enclosure facing the rear. It's simple and efficient. You can drop the arm rest if you'd like, but with the box facing aft it's not going to make a difference. The bass, if properly built and powered, will come thru the back seat no prob. Not as loud as if there were no backseat, but you have to work with what you have.

Do not mount them onto the rear deck unless you go with Free-airs (not recommended and the one's you have are probably not designed to do that anyway) or you build a box under them and are just firing them upwards.

Mounting them facing straight up, as in a spare tire well install, is probably not a good idea for the subs you have. They probably need more airspace than the well can give. Plus, you will make your trunk basically useless and if you wanna do that you can just build a big box and put the subs in it and it will sound better (you will lose the trunk in both scenarios).

BTW, we've had very lively discussions concerning sub "facing" before. Some people come from one school, others from yet another. Honestly, the sound difference is going to be less important than is going to be budget and how much room you want left over IMO. Think about that first and then figure out your best compromise.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Neptune97
The subs I bought are NOT free air approved.
then i wouldn't recommend mounting them in the rear deck if they're not free air approved.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 87MustangGT
All this is hearsay in my 5 years lurking various boards online...
1. Probably the loudest option, but bass is a little sloppier.
2. Will provide tighter, but less loud, bass than if facing back.
3. I've never actually heard anything about facing subs up in a trunk, nor have I ever heard of anyone doing it I don't think. In my Mustang, I have a box in place of the rear seat w/the subs facing up, and I noticed a little less loudness than before (when the subs faced the hatch glass).
4. Absolutely do NOT face them towards each other - they will cancel eachother out and you'll get no bass...

The difference between 1 and 2 is, to me, negligable...
Hope this helps a little...
Actually...

1. Not the loudest, BUT in our cars the best sounding setup due to the fact the bass wavelenghts travel further it will sound better inside. Thats why it sounds louder, but thats all thats important right?
2. Yeah, it is tight, and acutally IS louder inside. The thing is the bass waves dont cover enough space so it will acutally be louder inside, but wont sound louder. It will however sound great about 6-10ft in front of your car but your not sitting there are you?
3. People face the subs facing up in cars that are hatchback. Sound just fine but personally not my cup of tea.
4. Well...it can be pulled off with two things to keep in mind. It has to be a bandpass box OR an isobaric setup

Personally, I say face them to the rear. Only downside is your gonna rattle A LOT. With front fire, you'll have less air moving back there so you wont get too many rattles.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Now I was just trying to secure a sub in my trynk and tried a few different configerations. I've go a 15' polk momo in a 1.5 sealed enclosure. Sub facing the trunk was my usual set up, I tried laying the box down(sub facing up) doesn't hit as hard. Sub facing rear and sub facing the side hits the same. This is a new sub for me as a replacement for the pioneer i just busted , so the cubic ft is much less and required a smaller box which fell forward/backward evertime i hit the brakes hard or step on the gas hard . I finally jimmy riged it up against the jack compartment using a snaplink and the provided gargo tiedowns in the trunk. Bottom line rear facing or side ways is the way to go.Facing the seats doesn't hit as hard but will work if SPL is not what ur looking for. I know it's a mouthful but hope you can pick out the useful info.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Way out West

Sometimes I think it depends on the speaker and enclosure, too. Just move your box around and see what sounds the best to you in the driver's seat.

With my JL 10w3 (sealed box), it produced the most bass facing the rear or facing the side (look at pics in my cardomain). Facing forward did seem to be a little tighter, but it didn't sound as good in the driver's seat.

Now I have an Eclipse aluminum 12" DVC (chambered/vented box) and it sounds way better facing the rear than either the front or the side. It also rattles stuff I didn't know could rattle, but that's another topic for another day...
Old 01-01-2004, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by gtbigup
Facing the seats doesn't hit as hard but will work if SPL is not what ur looking for. I know it's a mouthful but hope you can pick out the useful info.
Here is the thing though, IF SPL is what your looking for, then front fire. It wont sound louder inside due to the lenght of the bass waves BUT it actually is 2-3db louder. It definetly wont sound like it is, but it is.
Rear fire gives the bass waves more time to travel and will sound louder & thats all that really matters.
Old 01-01-2004, 02:37 PM

I have mine firing upwards and I think its just as loud as any direction, but when you have a massive sub I guess thats just how it is.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alpine15s18001dAPCLqBomb

Your Alpine Type R 10s and slot ported box.. you'll be happy!

Do not mount them onto the rear deck unless you go with Free-airs (not recommended and the one's you have are probably not designed to do that anyway) or you build a box under them and are just firing them upwards.

Mounting them facing straight up, as in a spare tire well install, is probably not a good idea for the subs you have. They probably need more airspace than the well can give. Plus, you will make your trunk basically useless and if you wanna do that you can just build a big box and put the subs in it and it will sound better (you will lose the trunk in both scenarios).

BTW, we've had very lively discussions concerning sub "facing" before. Some people come from one school, others from yet another. Honestly, the sound difference is going to be less important than is going to be budget and how much room you want left over IMO. Think about that first and then figure out your best compromise.[/QUOTE]