Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Bose LED display on 96 GLE

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 01:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Bose LED display on 96 GLE

I'm sure this has been addressed before and seems to be a common problem, but I would like to know how to go about fixing the sporadic working LED display on my bose stereo. The sound is amazing but it is annoying for the display to go out. Does anyone have experience with this or know how to repair it?
Appreciate it.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:23 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have the same problem. The display started fading out about a year ago and now it is usually off. There seems to be a problem with Bose head units in Nissans, Infinitys, and Acuras. There are several online repair shops that charge about $165-$190.

http://www.carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax0.htm

I recently saw that several people are selling the repair service on ebay for $90.

Other common problems include cd not working, audio fading out or stereo not turning on. I don't know enough about this but I am determined to figure it out. I have read that these units have either bad solder or leaking capacitors.

Madchef has traced these problems to the power supply board on the unit by swapping parts from two non-working units. One has the no disply problem and the other has the no cd problem. He realized that each of the units has the problem caused by the same board.

Has anyone sent their head unit in for repair? Perhaps you can take pictures of the board to help us determine what was replaced. Or if you are going to send it in for repair, photograph the boards first, then send it for repair, then photograph them again to see which capacitors were replaced.

Hope someone can shed some light on how to fix this.

If I can't figure it out I will send it in for repair and post the pictures when I get it back.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I posted in my orig thread that the solution to the display problem is to basically resolder everything on the power board.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267550

This fell right off when I went to resolder it, so it's highly likely that this is the display problem culprit (but it's also possible it was something else):

(part to the right of contact)

I haven't had time to resolder connections on the CD player Bose unit, so no news on that.

But my vacuum fluorescent display has been working perfectly ever since!
Old 03-10-2004, 02:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

UPDATE

Madchef, thanks for posting the link to the other thread. I had gone back as far as I could and didn't find it. I wish the search feature was enabled.

I have followed up on Madchef's idea that the display problems were caused by a bad solder joint at location R510 on the Power Supply Board. Madchef made a great tutorial on how to take the head unit apart.

http://madchef.5u.com/maxima/bose/bose.html

I confirm that the no display problem is caused by bad solder joints at location R510. Furthermore, I have discovered that location R519 solves the problem with no audio.

When re-soldering the pads, i realized that R519 was cracked. Also, both locations (R510 and R519) have the same resistor labeled 471. It is a small flat black surface mount resistor. I soldered the good resistor to R510 and the display works, but not the sound. When I soldered the good resistor to R519, the sound works, but not the display.

I have called Clarion at 1-800-421-5080 and spoke to a parts sales representative and gave them the Head Unit model number PN-2083D, and the location of the part I need (either R510 or R519) and they promised to call me back within 24 hours. They said that resistors are not commonly in their sysyem and that they would need to research the part.

Does anyone know how to measure or determine the exact specs of the part I need. Like I said, the unit has two, so I can remove the good one and measure it if it is possible to determine what I need.

This is awesome. I'm glad I don't have to spend $165 + shipping for a couple of $.69 parts. Who knows, maybe they don't even change them, they might just re-solder them.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Vikter
Madchef, thanks for posting the link to the other thread. I had gone back as far as I could and didn't find it. I wish the search feature was enabled.
No prob...took me a while to find it myself =)
For future reference, you can find the link in the 4th Gen How-To sticky.

I confirm that the no display problem is caused by bad solder joints at location R510. Furthermore, I have discovered that location R519 solves the problem with no audio.
Great! I was hoping to get some feedback from some other people to verify my findings. Thanks, good to know that it was indeed the problem.

I soldered the good resistor to R510 and the display works, but not the sound. When I soldered the good resistor to R519, the sound works, but not the display.
Good to know...I haven't run into the 'no sound' problem yet. I'll be updating my web site with this information eventually, kind of a "How to fix" page.

Does anyone know how to measure or determine the exact specs of the part I need. Like I said, the unit has two, so I can remove the good one and measure it if it is possible to determine what I need.
Yes, you can measure the value of a resistor. Just use a digital multimeter to measure the value in ohms.
That will get you in the ballpark, then you can buy a new reisitor. (for instance 470 ohms might come up as 465 or so)
Should work...unless it's not a reisitor Haven't looked into it myself, but I am pretty sure it is.

This is awesome. I'm glad I don't have to spend $165 + shipping for a couple of $.69 parts. Who knows, maybe they don't even change them, they might just re-solder them.
Proabaly true....man, think of the profit.
BTW if anybody is looking for other parts, such as a new face plate, volume control, etc, you can buy that stuff here:
https://www.pacparts.com/scripts/def...FTOKEN=4961474
Old 03-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just received the call from Clarion regarding the type of resistor in location R510 and R519. They said they don't carry it, but it can be purchased locally. They gave me the following specs. 470 ohm at 1/2 watt

I dashed down to RadioShack and bought a pack of 5 for $.99

Soldered it, installed it and presto! My Bose display works perfectly! I took a few pictures of the the installation. I don't have hosting, but I can email it to anyone who is interested.

The resistor from Radioshack is much bigger than the original resistor, but there is plenty of place on the board, so it's not too big of a deal.

I'm off to post on google groups, so that others can find this thread. Thanks to everyone for keeping this forum thriving and a special thanks to you Madchef for finding the mysterious culprit that keeps our bose displays off.

Vikter
Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 PM

Nice, glad to hear it worked! Good idea about posting info on google groups.

So yeah I totally forgot.... you know the 471 printed on the resistor? It means 47 + 1 zero (last digit is number of zeroes...aka 47 x 10^1) so 470 ohms....sorry man I should have said that before!

Take a look around the .org, you can find a lot of good info here
Old 10-21-2004, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Guys, I am so grateful of finding this thread since I found the CD err problem in my infiniti I30 (96). Unfortunately, I am not as good as you guys on fixing electrical parts. So could you tell me which one is the power board and do I have to pull off the stereo unit from dash? Thanks a lot.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I took out my Clarion PN-2083D stereo from my Nissan 1996 Maxima SE.
It has a problem where it powers on and off especially when it hits a bump.
I took the stereo out and re-soldered the two resistors on the power supply board per madchefs instructions. Put the stereo back in and still the same problem. So I jiggled the connectors in the back and presto, the problem was in the connectors. Not sure at this point if it is on the white male connectors from the car cable or at the power supply board black female connectors.
Not sure where to buy a power supply board or even the white connectors
Any help guys ?

Thanks y'all. Props to madchef for taking time out to put in detailed instructions.
Old 11-07-2004, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by jimmy9252
I took out my Clarion PN-2083D stereo from my Nissan 1996 Maxima SE.
It has a problem where it powers on and off especially when it hits a bump.
I took the stereo out and re-soldered the two resistors on the power supply board per madchefs instructions. Put the stereo back in and still the same problem. So I jiggled the connectors in the back and presto, the problem was in the connectors. Not sure at this point if it is on the white male connectors from the car cable or at the power supply board black female connectors.
Not sure where to buy a power supply board or even the white connectors
Any help guys ?

Thanks y'all. Props to madchef for taking time out to put in detailed instructions.
Just had the same problem. After doing Madchef's fix, i realized afterwards that the problem is on the board which connects to the face plate of the stereo. Since i suck at the electrical work, I had my Dad resolder back the loose piece from the board, and everything works great. He tells me this should be a common occurence on many of our stereos since one is putting fatigue on the connection everytime you press a botton on the face plate. I recommend going with an electrician freind with this one, since my dad had to use a maginfying glass while remaking the connection. Anyways, I hope that solve some of your problems. Unfortunatelly, I don't have pics, but using the above instructions, you can dissasamble the radio to get to that board that has the connection to the face plate. If anyone has to make this fix, please post pics!
Old 12-05-2006, 07:51 AM

I have the display problem, and my display actually works SOMETIMES, occasionally it will be dim, other times not work at all, and other times it works just fine! Anyway, I checked the two resistors, and the ohms are correct (470), and visually they look ok (not cracked, etc.)... So, what do you think I should try next?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Excellent post! I'm looking forward to tearing apart my radio to solve this problem that's been plauging my Max for 2 years. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2010, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a pn-2083d in my 95 Maxima that just crapped out. CD player wont take a CD and the tape deck no longer works, only the radio...and the screen goes out frequently. Just found this post after hunting online forever. I am going to try to replace the 2 resistors you guys listed on here years ago and see if it fixes it and post my results. I am surprised that no one has posted about this fix in years. Seems like such a cheap fix.

Last edited by guinnesshead; 03-24-2010 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well I replaced the 2 resistors and my unit is still shot. I may have a bigger issue than just the cd err message because the unit will not load the cd when i put it in the slot. The display is working all the time now but I still only have radio....

Not sure if anyone else out there has a tip to give me on fixing the cd player. If not I may just send it to someone to repair/replace it or pick up a newer bose model on ebay.

Last edited by guinnesshead; 03-24-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Look into this unit:
http://www.amazon.com/Boss-865DBI-Re.../dp/B001QXDSPE

I settled on this after a brief search and have been very satisfied especially considering how much it cost. Bluetooth, Aux, USB input, SD Card, IPod Doc, 5V pre-outs, all for around $170.00.

All I needed was the antenna adapter and the Metra-7551 harness.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm looking to replace my Bose with CD Err & intermittent display.

How do you like the Boss? Are you happy with the sound compared to the Bose? How is the display at nighttime? Apparently it is pretty bright.