Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Automatic door locks - 99 Nissan Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 12:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Automatic door locks - 99 Nissan Maxima

Last winter my driver's side door switch broke. Since then, I haven't used my factory alarm system due to the door switch.
Last week, I finally replaced the door switch, which was just plugging it in and screwing it down.
This week, suddenly my auto door locks are behaving differently than they ever have. I've owned the car a little over a year now.

I used to get in my car, put the key in the ignition, turn it and start it and the doors would lock. Now, I get in the car, put the key in and turn it and the doors lock and then unlock super fast. I am not able to lock the doors while the key is in the ignition. If I try to lock them manually with the key in the ignition, they just immediately unlock automatically.

Also, my dome light door setting doesn't work in the setting where it should come on and off with the door being open and closed.
Before all this happened, the weather had been cold here and the lock on the passenger front, and the driver's side passenger back were not locking all the way. So after hitting the auto lock button, I would have to manually lock them and check the doors. The warmer weather, they are working. I know this may just be a lubrication issue.

Other electrical issues I've noticed, when it is cold sometimes the radio will not come on. This hasn't happened in a while. But so the car has some issues.

The stereo sucks in this car. Missing ***** and stuff like that. Ultimately, I'm trying to get my car working right so I feel comfortable getting a new stereo. I don't want it to get stolen, nor have the electrical system crap out if I try to replace the stereo. With all these problems, is it okay to replace the stereo?

Any help and direction would be awesome! I don't have tools at my house, but my dad has tons. He's worked on cars his entire life, but electrical systems are not his forte. So I'm hoping you can help! I really love my car and thought about fixing it up when I have more money. My dad seems to think this car may not be worth the extra cash and investment. It does have a few problems but it looks pretty decent and drives pretty well for 16 years old and over 200,000 miles.

One thing I read and got advice on is that it might be relays, and or codes having to do with the alarm system.

Any and all help is appreciated!!! Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you're having an awesome day! Its a bright sunny day here in Colorado!
Old 02-11-2015, 09:48 PM

re: locking and unlocking doors, and malfunctioning dome light, seems like the oor switch is not working right. The lock/unlock is normal when the car is on with the door open...
Old 02-11-2015, 11:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

re door lock

How does a normal functioning automatic door lock behave when the car is started and the door is not open? Should it be locked or unlocked?

My dad seemed to think it was weird mine locked immediately.

Thanks for your responses!
Old 02-12-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
How does a normal functioning automatic door lock behave when the car is started and the door is not open? Should it be locked or unlocked?

My dad seemed to think it was weird mine locked immediately.

Thanks for your responses!

when the car is started, the locks do NOT engage on their own. It IS weird yours lock immediately...actually on second thought there may be a way to program the locks to do that. I want to say I saw instructions floating around here somewhere awhile ago on how to change the auto door lock modes...from not on, to on at 10MPH, etc...

My stock 99SE doors DO NOT LOCK until I tell them to. BUT if the car is running and the door is open, I tell them to lock and they will lock hen quickly unlock. That is normal.