Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Goin to the races!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 09:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Goin to the races!

Going to the autocross races in Idaho tommorow, Snake River Region of SCCA. I would love to run it, but I need springs and an FSTB first. TOO much body roll still. I am tempted to just do it anyway, but I think I might bring my son.....

Never been to an autox before, and I am excited!
Old 07-12-2002, 03:11 PM

Re: Goin to the races!

Originally posted by fst96se
Going to the autocross races in Idaho tommorow, Snake River Region of SCCA. I would love to run it, but I need springs and an FSTB first. TOO much body roll still. I am tempted to just do it anyway, but I think I might bring my son.....

You can run anything and still have fun. I took a stock Civic on tall narrow and hard tires once and it was still fun to flog the crap out of it

Just watching can be fun too, sometimes you'll get to go for a ride if you ask the right people.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:54 PM

Run what you brung!....

Don't pass up the chance just because you don't have the car exactly like you want it.

To maintain my points position when my normal autocross cars have not been ready to run due waiting for tires, bad weather, etc., I've resorted to running one of my other cars. Examples being a '69 Pontiac Catalina station wagon, a '73 Mercury Monterey and a '88 Ford Aerostar mini-van and some others. Allot of people will run just about anything that is safe, passes inspection and can be placed in a class just to be running and having fun. I ran my entire second autocrossing season in a 1970 Ford Failane. Talk about body roll!
Old 07-13-2002, 11:08 PM
SLOW

I'd love to take my dad's pristine 1969 Cadillac Coupe Deville (472 cubes!) to an autoX sometime... I don't think dad would be to happy about that though
Old 07-14-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: Goin to the races!

Originally posted by fst96se

You can run pretty much anything. I've seen everything from station wagons to full size Dodge Ram pickups on the course (you want to talk about body roll?)

If you are planning on running for points, springs and add-on braces can also kick you up into a higher class where you may not be as competitive (unless you are planning to mod your car to the limit of the rules).

Main thing is you need to have all loose items out of your car, pass tech inspection, and probably overinflate your tires some to help keep them from rolling onto the sidewalls in the turns.

Above all, have fun!

Quack2x
Old 07-14-2002, 02:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, I went, and it was a blast. It was at a small local airport. I did not run my car, but it was really fun to watch. The cars consisted of several porsches, new and old, a few camaro's, an RX-7 that won the whole thing, lots of corvettes (the corvette club put it on, the winner of the corvettes was an Idaho State Trooper, that guy could drive!) lots of miatas, and various other misc cars. The coolest rig was a Dakota R/T 5.9 putting down REALLY fast times!

I had my 6 month old son with me, so I didn't ride along either, though I had many offers!

The 4 door crowd was represented by a 93 integra 4 door that was very nice and SUPER fast, and a 4 door neon with factory 17" wheels and dual exhaust, not sure of model. Well, the next one is close and I will try to drive in that one!