Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

just did my first auto-x!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 09:36 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

just did my first auto-x!

i cant believe how much fun it was! my first course time was a DNF. second time was 68 seconds. once i got the hang of it every time i ran my times got lower and lower. my final time was 55.5 secs! i think that was a tie for the lowest amaetur(sp) time of the day! i was so proud of myself. auto-x is defitnetly a new obsseion for me. ive mastered the car show and the 1/4 mile now this is the last frontier.

one question, can i get some tips on what to do about tire pressure and any other info about tires.
Old 08-25-2002, 03:34 PM

Re: just did my first auto-x!

Originally posted by nismo2020
i cant believe how much fun it was! my first course time was a DNF. second time was 68 seconds. once i got the hang of it every time i ran my times got lower and lower. my final time was 55.5 secs! i think that was a tie for the lowest amaetur(sp) time of the day! i was so proud of myself. auto-x is defitnetly a new obsseion for me. ive mastered the car show and the 1/4 mile now this is the last frontier.

one question, can i get some tips on what to do about tire pressure and any other info about tires.
Welcome to your next addiction

For autocross, I use around 40 front and 38 rear, but I use 16's. I'm sure other people here could help you out more than I can.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Conecarver

What tire you running? On what size rims? Oh, and what springs & struts? What was happening out on the course (run 2 and later)
Old 08-25-2002, 05:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like you had fun. I watched my first auto-X this past May and it was great. I will participate in one soon. Why did you DNF on your first run??
Old 08-26-2002, 11:36 AM

Congrats. I see your in Georgia. What event did you run at? I'm in tallahassee, We have an event this Saturday if your intrested in coming down. I usually run an S2000 put will be running my miata this time as a last dance as the S2000 has a new set of tires for nationals that we don't want to run on yet. Unfortunatly our Fast Maxima won't be their either. He will be driving a rental car as his is at the body shop for being hit. Let me know if your intrested in coming i'll get you all the details.
Old 08-26-2002, 06:36 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by SterlingMist00
Sounds like you had fun. I watched my first auto-X this past May and it was great. I will participate in one soon. Why did you DNF on your first run??
hehe i missed a couple turns :
Old 08-26-2002, 06:43 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Mrsideways
Congrats. I see your in Georgia.
sorry man i need to change my profile. i recently moved to hawaii and they had a nissan at the track.

BEJAY1 - 235/40/18s pirelli p7000s
sprint springs/ kyb agx what do you mean what was happening on the course? i felt my tires buckling over (front) and the back was really sticky. the kybs were at 3/6 then i swicthed to the hardest setting. tire pressure was 35/35.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:01 AM

Two questions.
What class were you running in?
18 x ? wheels

Things to try
RSB
More negative camber
More front tire pressure

Norm
Old 08-28-2002, 12:11 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally posted by Norm Peterson

Two questions.
What class were you running in?
18 x ? wheels

Things to try
RSB
More negative camber
More front tire pressure

Norm
i have camber bolts so i can dial in some negative camber and the rsb is in the mail. thanx for the tips.

it was an open class, no paticluar classification that day.

18x8
Old 08-28-2002, 03:35 PM
Conecarver

235/40/18s pirelli p7000s
sprint springs/ kyb agx what do you mean what was happening on the course? i felt my tires buckling over (front) and the back was really sticky. the kybs were at 3/6 then i swicthed to the hardest setting. tire pressure was 35/35.
Norms suggestions are right on. The RSB will help with the back sticking. Try upping front pressures 3-5lbs. Maybe -1.5 to -2.5 camber. Perhaps a touch of toe-out 1/16"-1/8" total if you're changing things anyway.

Hmmm 40 series tires, Sprint springs, and KYB's. Pretty stiff setup. Usually you want soft front struts, and stiff rear. But too stiff and hit a bump you lose traction all together. Got me on the KYB settings.
Old 09-05-2002, 09:25 AM

man, now u decide to autoX! had to move didn't u! mmmm...make sure to change ur camber and toe back to stock after doing the event, don't want to kill ur tires.

Old 09-07-2002, 03:30 AM

you may want to put your stock tires back on so you don't kill your street tires, and you may pick up a little acceleration from the gearing change.

You may also want to increase your front tire pressures some to prevent the rollover you mentioned. One way to check this is to put some white shoe polish on the sides of your tires and then check after each run to see how much was scrubbed off. If you have access to a pyrometer, check the tire temperatures across the tread width of the tires as well to make sure they are consistent. Make sure you have a good tire pressure gauge. Don't skimp here!

You can also play with the handling of the car by adjusting the rear tire pressures.

And if you really get the bug, you can look into getting auto-x compound tires (DOT legal or slicks) on your stock rims. You need to pay close attention to what compound you are getting, though. I found that the tires I used to use for road racing were absolutely useless on the auto-x. They just couldn't heat up enough in one run to get to operating temps.

Hope this helps. I think auto-x is the second Sunday of the month, but I'm not sure. I haven't gone in a long time, probably since they used to be at Barbar's Point (before it was called Kalealoa).

If you need help or advice, just ask anyone there. The Lums are very helpful (the family with the 240Z's, and Lindsey (silver 911) has also been helpful to me in the past.

Aloha,

Quack2x