Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Went autoXing for the first time today

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Went autoXing for the first time today

So here in Deland, FL I was autocrossing today. It was my very first time.

I have to say it was absolutely awesome. My first run sucked as did my second time, I ran a 50 and 49. I learned that my backend is stiff and what I mean is no matter how much I chucked the car around the backend just would follow through but it followed through too well if you know what I mean. I was running 255 Street nexen tires and they did pretty well, so I check my tire pressure it was 33 psi so I uped it to 37 psi and on my very next run I ran a 45. By the end of the day I ran a 42.89 for my last two runs but I hit a cone each run so I ended with a 44 so techniquelly it was 42 . To Give a reference the fastest street car on race tires were some of the miatas who were running 35s but averaging about 36-7. So I think I did pretty good my first time. I think I was 3rd out of 15 for the Novice class.

As some may know I have a Stillen Ground effects kit, I told Irish this. I have decided to screw it and sell it and I am going to do that Mach 1 Lip spoiler now like he has cause I like the look of it. So from the money I sell the body kit, its going into finishing out some extra things I have planned and some special custom setups I want to do for the suspension to get it ready for next year. I hope to go to about 20 events next year.

Anyways, heres some video, I forgot my sim card so my camera only had room for a one minute video clip so here is one clip one of my slowest times at 49. I will try and make an image of what the course looked like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVTUh9-LQAo
Old 11-18-2007, 05:42 PM
retired moderator

Glad you enjoyed it. One hint as to how to get the rear end to "rotate" better is to jack up the rear tire pressures. I actually run my rears higher than my fronts on certain types of courses. Also can turn down your illuminas to a softer setting to improve "turn in."

Anyhow, good luck on the build and keep autocrossing, you'll keep getting better!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Turbo'd Saab

my number for today was 444 because you have given me so many tips

thank you josh
Old 11-19-2007, 08:23 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by SilMax00
my number for today was 444 because you have given me so many tips

thank you josh

I used to run 444, but now I usually get 44 instead, with an extra "4" in case someone else snags EP 44 first
Old 11-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I used 1/5 fr/rr on the illuminas for a weekend. Amazing turn-in, sucky confidence. Wallows like crazy. Agreed on turning up the psi for the rears. All good tips/hints! Enjoy auto-x, it's addicting.
Jae
Old 11-22-2007, 10:43 AM
Conecarver

Congrats on the first time. Don't be afraid of upping the rear pressures. I've gone 60-65lbs on multiple brand tires to help the rear come around.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Glory Glory Man United

COngrats on your first AutoX .. Looks confusing watching Irish videos and stuff where to go .. Im going to my first auto X in Dec 2nd kinda of Nervous .. But looks like your getting better already with that 44
Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 01_Maxine
COngrats on your first AutoX .. Looks confusing watching Irish videos and stuff where to go .. Im going to my first auto X in Dec 2nd kinda of Nervous .. But looks like your getting better already with that 44

it's only confusing if you're not paying attention. The BEST thing you can do before you drive in an autocross is to STUDY the course and PAY ATTENTION during course walk-through - don't chit-chat with your buddies, visualize the course as you walk. Also walk it as many times as time will allow. If you're not running in the first session, watch the other cars drive the course and follow each car all the way around the course visually. The more you watch the entire course, the more your brain will remember it.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Glory Glory Man United

Thanks Irish ..... Keep that in mind .. I printing out some Info on the SCCA local site as well that they provided..
Old 11-22-2007, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
it's only confusing if you're not paying attention. The BEST thing you can do before you drive in an autocross is to STUDY the course and PAY ATTENTION during course walk-through - don't chit-chat with your buddies, visualize the course as you walk. Also walk it as many times as time will allow. If you're not running in the first session, watch the other cars drive the course and follow each car all the way around the course visually. The more you watch the entire course, the more your brain will remember it.
That is sooo true. Walking it more and more helps me so much. I like to walk it slow and imagine what I will see when I come out of a corner and where I would be if I did this or that and see how it is going to effect me getting to the next corner. (I hope I made sense.)
Old 11-22-2007, 07:40 PM
retired moderator

also:

- some clubs actually post up the course route a few days in advance so you can get an idea of the turn sequence (check and see if your local club does)

- it's also a good idea to find someone who looks like they're a "veteran" (guys in highly-prepared classes often are) and walk about 20 feet behind them to see what their lines are...
Old 11-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Glory Glory Man United

Hope the OP doesnt get mad kinda of Hijacked ...

Well I hope this guy im going with doesnt flake out on me cause he was going to do ride-a-long and he knows what his doing...

But on the Local SCCA site it does say the # 1 thing you can do is ASK !! Are people that helpful at these events ?

Following "Veterans lines" meaning what , following there steps ? Like They plan what there going to do with there cars at first im assuming from post above when they walk courses...

Last edited by blkAEmax82; 11-22-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by 01_Maxine
But on the Local SCCA site it does say the # 1 thing you can do is ASK !! Are people that helpful at these events ?

Following "Veterans lines" meaning what , following there steps ? Like They plan what there going to do with there cars at first im assuming from post above when they walk courses...
Yes, most people are very friendly and helpful. Just be honest if you don't know something and ask. I'm not sure on how to answer the above question other then it will make sense when you see them. Try walking their lines and see if you notice things any differently. I have walked with some veterans (gotten to know them) after one or two walks on my own and they have pointed out things that I didn't "see" at first.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:07 PM

I don't know about your local SCCA guys, but we offer a novice walk thru at every event. One of the regulars will walk you thru and point out the basic line and give you some tips and answer questions. We do the novice walk thru as a group and I think it helps alot for the first timers. We also have "instructors" that will ride with you or even drive your car, if you want to see how slow you really are. I have found that most of the people at SCCA events are very friendly and more than willing to help you out anyway they can. You will find a few that take it very serious and might blow you off if they are in a current battle for position.

SilMax00 you should come over to Brooksville next year, or better yet Gainesville for a CFR west coast event. I'm not sure how many events I'll do next year. I've been moving more towards larger track events, but should hit all the Gainesville events.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:12 PM
Glory Glory Man United

Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it !

Last edited by blkAEmax82; 11-25-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:50 PM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by z32drifter
I don't know about your local SCCA guys, but we offer a novice walk thru at every event. One of the regulars will walk you thru and point out the basic line and give you some tips and answer questions. We do the novice walk thru as a group and I think it helps alot for the first timers. We also have "instructors" that will ride with you or even drive your car, if you want to see how slow you really are. I have found that most of the people at SCCA events are very friendly and more than willing to help you out anyway they can. You will find a few that take it very serious and might blow you off if they are in a current battle for position.

SilMax00 you should come over to Brooksville next year, or better yet Gainesville for a CFR west coast event. I'm not sure how many events I'll do next year. I've been moving more towards larger track events, but should hit all the Gainesville events.
Ah hell yeah I'll make it out there, I wanna see that z32 of yours

I wanna say thank you to all who gave me advise.

also I am working on more suspension mods to do to the car, like welding the FSTB to the front frame and making a custom LTB stage 1 into stage 2

Last edited by DrunkieTheBear; 11-25-2007 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:10 AM

Thats a "things to do" before you die thing i want to do that with mine gf would kill me lol
Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 AM
STFU n00b!

Congrats on surviving your first Auto X. the best advice I can give you right now is twofold:
1. don't mod the car between events. learn to drive it the way it is and get faster by driving better- not by modding the car. you'd be amazed how many mods you can do that will actually make you slower at an auto X. (Been doing it almost 10 years myself, so I've been down that road)..
Things like welding your strut tower brace are only going to make things harder for you in the long run and they don't provide any improvement in times at all... so don't waste your time with it.

hone your skills on a stock(ish) car and then when you've got 5-10-15 events under your belt and can see how your changes in driving affect the car, THEN and only then should you start modding the car again. I know it's hard to do, but if you want to be faster, the bet thing you can mod is YOU. improve your skills and get all the advice you can from other people.

When I say this, I'm not talking about tuning and setting up the car. proper alignment and tire pressures are KEY in auto X and you do need to adjust those to fit the event. I'm talking about things like engine mods, suspension braces, things like that. stay away from them for at least your first 1/2 season at minimum. just learn to drive the car you have.

2. find some guys in your local region that are running consistently faster than you in a similar car- Maybe not another Maxima, but at least try to keep it FWD because the dynamics are completely different than when driving a Miata.
I've found that almost anyone at an auto X is willing to help you with advice-- at least until you get to the point you're close to beating them!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:36 AM
Turbo'd Saab

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Congrats on surviving your first Auto X. the best advice I can give you right now is twofold:
1. don't mod the car between events. learn to drive it the way it is and get faster by driving better- not by modding the car. you'd be amazed how many mods you can do that will actually make you slower at an auto X. (Been doing it almost 10 years myself, so I've been down that road)..
Things like welding your strut tower brace are only going to make things harder for you in the long run and they don't provide any improvement in times at all... so don't waste your time with it.

I actually decided to scrape the whole idea, well after losing my job for the holidays and just seemed not to good of an idea after a while.

but I will take your advice in, autocrossing is a whole different level then what I have experienced in the past. And everyone is willing to help everyone else

Thank you for the advice man, I'm not going to do much more to the car except change the transimission to a manual, because the auto has maybe 5,000 miles left in it. LOL