Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Power Steering fluid cooling

Old 04-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Power Steering fluid cooling

Autocrossed this weekend, and noticed between runs that my power steering fluid reservoir was bubbling like a coffee perculator. I didn't have any way to check the temp so I don't know if it's air in the system or temperature. It would calm down before the next run. I didn't notice any change if steering feel while on course. Anyone ever run a cooler for that. If it is boiling I can't imaging that's a good thing, so I want to change the fluid to a higher temp fluid.
Any suggestion/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:08 PM
Conecarver

Never had that happen. I'd suggest borrowing a pryometer (either kind), checking the temp, and verifying the problem before finding solutions. You could probably duplicate the conditions in some empty space easy enough.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Very sound, Mike

I had a similar issue (another nissan) on the roadcourse, my track mates told me it was just the pump and not necessarily boiling. Was your car still on when this happened? If so, it's the pump. If it's still "boiling" after the engine is off, then yes it's really boiling.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by soundmike
I had a similar issue (another nissan) on the roadcourse, my track mates told me it was just the pump and not necessarily boiling. Was your car still on when this happened? If so, it's the pump. If it's still "boiling" after the engine is off, then yes it's really boiling.
Your probably correct, I'm going to check for that next event. Between runs I would pop the hood and leave it running to help dissipate some of the heat. But when I parked it after last run, I'm pretty sure it wasn't bubbling after shutting it off.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
STFU n00b!

The fluid flows pretty quick through the reservior and actually DOES flow through there, so it will swirl and bubble around inside if you're looking at it while the engine is running. If you had no horrible steering problems on course, then it didn't boil. you'd know it if the fluid boiled cause these cars are HAAAARD to turn with no power steering pump.

considering the age of the car, it might not hurt to flush the fluid though. just pop the return line off and drain it all into a bucket. unplug the fuel pump fuse or something so the engine doesn't start, and crank the engine for a few seconds with the return line in the bucket to clear everything in the pump and lines.
then turn the wheel from lock to lock several times to pump the fluid out of the rack. (jack the car up to make it easier). when it's empty, put all the hoses back in place and start filling. you'll only need about a quart of ATF. I think the entire system holds about 1/2qt and the reservoir holds the rest of it, so about 1 qt total. I'd buy 2 or 3 just in case- store or take back what you don't use.
Fill the reservoir, then crank the engine and turn wheel back and forth a few times to suck the new fluid in. top it off, and then start the car. turn wheel lock to lock several times with the engine running to finish bleeding all the air out of the system, then top it off again.

One more thing since my PS reservoir always leaked.. I took a couple blue shop towels and a rubber band to cover the reservoir & cap just in case some leaked out. my 240SX was REAL bad about fluid spillage on the track- it would be all over my fender after a session on track simply because the cap didn't seal real well. I even replaced the cap and reservior and it still did it.. so I covered it with the rag and never had another problem. replace the rags every few events and check levels and all was good.

Last edited by Matt93SE; 04-14-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks Matt, I will flush it before the May 9th autcross. I didn't realise it flowed freely through the reservoir. So far no leaks, but I'll bring an old tube sock with me next event just incase.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:04 PM

i also had a concern about it. My level must have increased by 1-1.5 fingers after a run. I know fluid expands and all that but it cant be that good i am sure.
I have a lot of free fluid and a machine to flush it so out it goes once a year haha
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM
STFU n00b!

the rise in level is possibly from the rubber in the hoses expanding inward from heat, as well as foaming on the low pressure side of the fluid.