Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

What?! No road racing forum!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 03:29 AM

What?! No road racing forum!?

Old 06-14-2002, 04:28 AM

Re: What?! No road racing forum!?

Originally posted by Chinkzilla
you can talk about road racing here if you want too, I'm allowing you

Vinipux
Old 06-14-2002, 05:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No, no road racing -- period.

Old 06-14-2002, 05:48 AM

Re: Re: What?! No road racing forum!?

Originally posted by Jambo
No, no road racing -- period.

I think he meant road racing, not street racing.
Old 06-14-2002, 06:05 AM

Re: Re: Re: What?! No road racing forum!?

Originally posted by hawkdog

that's what I thought he meant, but I didn't want to say anything about it
Old 06-14-2002, 06:05 AM

Wasnt there something about "Maxima.org does not condone street racing"
Old 06-14-2002, 06:08 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's funny -- a road and a street are pretty much the same thing, yet the meaning of "street racing" vs. "road racing" comes out totally different.

Originally posted by hawkdog

Old 06-14-2002, 07:42 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: What?! No road racing forum!?

Originally posted by Jambo
It's funny -- a road and a street are pretty much the same thing, yet the meaning of "street racing" vs. "road racing" comes out totally different.
To me, "Road course racing" better defines "road racing". For example as in "Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course".
"Road racing" has many meanings. Foot racing, bicycle racing and probably other forms of racing use the term "road racing".
Back when I did SCCA amateur road racing in showroom stock classes, I would refer to it as "road course racing" because some of the people I worked with and non-car friends called their foot racing "road racing" and it got confusing in conversations.

-Mark
Old 06-14-2002, 08:00 AM

I think we might be the only 2 people posting about road 'course' racing anyhow...
Old 06-15-2002, 12:02 AM
SLOW

Re: Re: What?! No road racing forum!?

Originally posted by MaxedBandit

I think we might be the only 2 people posting about road 'course' racing anyhow...
I call it road course or circuit racing to avoid confusing people into thinking I am talking about "street racing"

BTW how many people do we have here who have been on a road course in their Maxima? I can think of a few (me included).
Old 06-15-2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

I call it road course or circuit racing to avoid confusing people into thinking I am talking about "street racing"

BTW how many people do we have here who have been on a road course in their Maxima? I can think of a few (me included).
I have. Have even entered into several wheel-to-wheel competitions before...have yet to win one though.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:56 AM

This just goes to prove that road [course] racing is the orphan child of american motorsport. We have to be the only country in the whole world that puts driving 500 laps in a counter clockwise direction ahead of Formula One in our sports programming.

Just a rant

I guess it's understandable though, who in their right mind would road race a FWD family sedan I should be driving a BMW
Old 06-15-2002, 09:03 AM

Chinkzilla: I do find that funny also, what really is the point of that anyway? I would love to hear the answer for, what were you thinking on lap 297?

The only televised road racing event I would watch is the 24 hours racing, or import draging on ESPN2..

my uncle used to road race with his 92 325IS, that is dropped, exhaust, and some other dodads. He doesnt do it anymore but he now has an e46 m3
Old 06-15-2002, 09:41 AM

What the heck is wrong with street racing you know all you guys do it, we gotta start a forum for street racing.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by gtr_rider
Chinkzilla: I do find that funny also, what really is the point of that anyway? I would love to hear the answer for, what were you thinking on lap 297?

The only televised road racing event I would watch is the 24 hours racing, or import draging on ESPN2..

my uncle used to road race with his 92 325IS, that is dropped, exhaust, and some other dodads. He doesnt do it anymore but he now has an e46 m3

24 hours of lemans is on today on speed channel (nascarvision) yay!
(that is road racing for you uneducated)
Your uncle has a coooool car. I see lots of m3's of every generation on the road course. Vipers and porches out in droves as well!
Old 06-15-2002, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by BLaZin 2k MaX
What the heck is wrong with street racing you know all you guys do it, we gotta start a forum for street racing.
Yes, we all do it, but it's still retarded. If you want to drive your car fast, do it where you can't hurt someone else, in a controlled environment with emergency staff on standby, with saftey controls and equipment and a 2.5 mile track where you can hit 130 and no cop is going to pull you over. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:14 AM
SLOW

Street racing is illegal and Jamie doesn't want to show support for illegal actions, that's why. If you want a streetracing forum there are plenty of them on the net.

BTW did anyone notice that now that NASCAR has taken over Speedvision, they are not covering the entire 24 Heurs Du Mans, but rather covering only parts of it.
Old 06-15-2002, 10:42 AM
I miss the .org!

Rally Racing

is the **** too. I love watching that on tv. Too bad we don't have that here in the US...unless you count wet mall parking lots.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:37 AM

Re: Rally Racing

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
is the **** too. I love watching that on tv. Too bad we don't have that here in the US...unless you count wet mall parking lots.
If your refering to the FIA World Rally events that SpeedChannel covers, in North America we do have a only slightly tammer version of it in the SCCA ProRally series. They also run on closed roads at maximum speed.
The SpeedChannel showed the Oregon Trail Rally on June 13th which will probably be re-broadcasted. And SpeedChannel will show seven more
of the ProRallys in the comming months. The next one will be on July 11 at 11:30pm ET. Now and then the FIA guys will show up and run the ProRallys since their cars have classes in ProRally to run in and in the past at least one of the ProRallys would be included on the FIA World Rally schedule. I don't know if one will be FIA this year or not. Here is the SCCA ProRally web site that describes the classes, cars and rally event's etc: http://www.scca.org/amateur/performance_rally/
Old 06-15-2002, 02:54 PM

This just goes to prove that road [course] racing is the orphan child of american motorsport. We have to be the only country in the whole world that puts driving 500 laps in a counter clockwise direction ahead of Formula One in our sports programming.

Just a rant

I guess it's understandable though, who in their right mind would road race a FWD family sedan I should be driving a BMW
Very true. I personally like driving on roadcourse because of the elevation changes. I think you'd be surprised how well a decently set-up Max will hold up to a BMW. I agree the BMW is way more fun to drive, but I love the looks on BMW owners faces when they get passed by a Max.
Old 06-15-2002, 05:42 PM

BTW did anyone notice that now that NASCAR has taken over Speedvision, they are not covering the entire 24 Heurs Du Mans, but rather covering only parts of it.
I noticed that too. All they show is redneck shows recently, such as NASCAR Garage. They used to have some quality shows, when it was Speedvision.
Old 06-15-2002, 08:33 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

Very true. I personally like driving on roadcourse because of the elevation changes. I think you'd be surprised how well a decently set-up Max will hold up to a BMW. I agree the BMW is way more fun to drive, but I love the looks on BMW owners faces when they get passed by a Max.
yup, they REALLY hate getting passed oh and that last bit about 'who would drive a family sedan on a road course, i should have a bmw' was in sarcasm. I love my maxima on the road course!
Old 06-16-2002, 05:41 AM

24 hours of lemans is on today on speed channel (nascarvision) yay!
(that is road racing for you uneducated)
Your uncle has a coooool car. I see lots of m3's of every generation on the road course. Vipers and porches out in droves as well!
He told me once that he overtook an M in it once, but it was an E30
Old 06-16-2002, 02:37 PM

i dont know about the rest of you but i cannot sit and watch circle/oval/tri-oval track racing. it just bores me.

touring cars formula one and rally are definatly more entertaining. eve the AMA and FIM superbikes and FIM G.P. are pretty good.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

He told me once that he overtook an M in it once, but it was an E30
I've passed E30, E36 and E46 M3's as well as other high performance vehicles. Many of them have also eaten me for lunch. What's fun is showing the driver's of some of these cars that while they might have a kick *** car that should be a lot better than mine, they really don't no how to use it.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:13 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

One quick question. Isnt this an easy way to wreck your car, while trying to pass another guy on a road course. What if the guy your trying to pass loses control, and smashes into you.. ??
Old 06-17-2002, 09:36 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by kloogy
One quick question. Isnt this an easy way to wreck your car, while trying to pass another guy on a road course. What if the guy your trying to pass loses control, and smashes into you.. ??
Then you are out of luck. I've seen plenty of cars wrecked on road courses. I just try to anticipate problems and avoid them.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:57 AM

Chimes in the Honda guy...

me have, yes sir.
Old 06-25-2002, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
What I find amazing is those videos where they have 5 cars taking the same turn at the same time at different speeds about 2 inches away from each other and not even touch yet, no one is scared to say the least...
Old 07-15-2002, 11:38 AM

I road race my Max (Solo 1 instead of Solo 2).
I mostly compete against BMWs (I'm in the BSS2 class). I don't know if the classifications are the same in the US (I'm in Canada).

Anyway, the Max keeps up nicely with the BMWs. Only disadvantage is the FWD vs RWD. Otherwise, the Max is fairly equal. I'm the only Max in my series and I keep surprising everyone. No one sees the Max as a Solo 1 car. They only consider the Sentra. I like surprising them...

Axel
Old 07-15-2002, 09:46 PM

Yes, we all do it, but it's still retarded. If you want to drive your car fast, do it where you can't hurt someone else, in a controlled environment with emergency staff on standby, with saftey controls and equipment and a 2.5 mile track where you can hit 130 and no cop is going to pull you over. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.
i wonder what would happen if the released a cop car in there with his lights on and sirens sounding.. i wonder if someone would pull over due to natural instincts... but i know i'de prolly go faster instead..
Old 07-29-2002, 12:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Road racing = "track racing"

Street racing = racing on the street

BIG difference.