Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

STILLEN SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2000, 10:11 PM
Ax

These clowns at Stealin sold and installed a b-pipe on my 97 Maxima. The pipe didn't fit right, and needed extensive modification so it wouldn't bang around the floor board. Quality my ***.
Next, their work came apart after driving the car for a while.
First, the area where the 2 pipes meet and are held together with a muffler clamp. Came apart all of a sudden while I was driving. Suddenly, everything gets VERY LOUD. The pipes are draging on the ground and sparking like the 4th of July. I almost don't make it home that night. With the y-pipe, it sounded like open headers. Stillen failed to properly torque the clamp that holds these 2 pipes together.

Second, about a year latter, rear of b-pipe is no longer bolted to the muffler. The bolts come undone and are completely gone. Once again, like driving with open headers. How do I know this is Stillen's fault?
Because, it was never bolted together properly in the first place. When I got it repaired and properly bolted together by a muffler shop, the car is quiter than it has ever been. Not even after I first got the car back from Stillen, has it ever been this quiet. Conclusion, Stillen failed to bolt it together properly in the 1st place. Yes, I did notice the car getting gradually louder. I thought the muffler was slowly deteriorating. Silly me.

I'm sorry for the length of this post. Stillen has just pissed me off so much with their ****ty work, that I just thought Maxima and all Stillen customers should know.
Old 09-22-2000, 12:48 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

stillen suck?? no never.. it must be your vehichle.. muuhahhahahahaha yea right.. don't worry lotta people share your feelings but are afraid to say things.. becuase stillen might actually read this bbs and find out whats wrong.. but that would be way too easy for them to do.. after all they are still trying to fix the v2 s/c or so i'd hope
Old 09-22-2000, 02:12 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I know someone is holding back right now... but he/she can't say anything........ YET!!! Muahahahahahahahahaha!!!!

You know who I'm talking about, right Phil?
Old 09-22-2000, 03:45 PM
Used force to obtain Admin powers

Who may that be?
Old 09-22-2000, 04:22 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I dunno... ask Phil.
Old 09-22-2000, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
I dunno... ask Phil.
thanks kev.. but i dunno what your talking about? do u jane?
Old 09-22-2000, 07:07 PM

LOL! I am innocent..
Old 09-22-2000, 07:09 PM

yea and stillen's mechanics know how to install a s/c right the 1st time, or the 2nd or the 3rd ohhh.. wonder how many times it takes before they get it right
Old 09-22-2000, 08:00 PM

i said not to **** them off.
as long as you drive a maxima, they are the biggest aftermarket supplier who makes/sells some **** for your car.
Old 09-22-2000, 08:05 PM

ummm not really.. only thing they sell that u can't get else where is the s/c and body kit.. springs shocks stb's intakes exhauast.. all that else where.. and thats exactly what i've done
Old 09-22-2000, 08:13 PM

yeah but they are STILL the biggest though.
you can get CAI from PR, but they only sell CAI, you can get y-pipe from Cattman, but he only sells pipe and coilover...
Stillen is still the one stop shop for newbies, their stuff can trick out the whole car.
Old 09-22-2000, 08:24 PM

true.. but u can go 2 other one stop shops too.. they sell the same stuff.. stillens suspension is eibach.. stillens brakes are powerstop.. the list goes on.. so basically if ur lazy don't wanna look around just go there they have everything u want.. at their prices.. if u want to save some money.. or want something more for your money.. look around
Old 09-23-2000, 02:34 PM

then agin

stillen really barely makes their own stuff. they just tell other ppl to make it and they sell it with their names on it. u know that the rsb is actually made by eibach?? or so i was told. this one guy named rickey tang RT motorsports. says he makes a blower for our car. if ne wants more info on it i can get some for ya.
Old 09-23-2000, 04:07 PM

Re: then agin

Originally posted by mingo
. this one guy named rickey tang RT motorsports. says he makes a blower for our car. if ne wants more info on it i can get some for ya.
You should post this info on the main board.

Old 09-23-2000, 08:15 PM

give them some credit.
they make their own intake, y-pipe, exhasut, STB, bodykit and SC(i know it's Vortech blower but they finish the application for maxima). so they do offer complete pkg for maxima. of course spring/shocks are made by others, but very few tuner make their own suspension stuff, even TRD spring is made by Eibach.

i know one can get all the things by himself from different places, but Stillen did make a statement by souping up the SMX and had it in all magazines, otherwise not many will know people actually mod maximas.

i personally have nothing against stillen at all, i did buy some items from them, the shipping was always fast and accurate, the price was always fair. you have to understand it's a business with salesman, they work on commission, so try to get the good guys. I got Adam to sell me the lip spoiler at $140, some other guy quoted me $220.
Old 09-25-2000, 12:55 PM

okay.. i'll agree with you on a few points.. but your missing my real point chris. some of these people are dishing out almost 4g's for a s/c kit that still has major flaws... and when pointed out to stillen all they say is "were looking into it." Do you really think thats good buisness practice? What would you do if you just bought the dinan blower upgrade for your m roadster and it messed up the whole car? now of course u'd take it to the dealer and have it fixed cause its warrentied.. but only stillen warrenties the s/c kit.. and usually just blame it on the mechanic who installed it.. chris do me a favor.. ask jane who installed her s/c unit
Old 09-25-2000, 01:00 PM

I'm glad that they make parts for Maximas and sell them. What I don't like is when there is a problem, they put the blame on the car or the owner. I had so many problems with the SC (leaks..remember the FMU leak? It took me a week to convince them that it was leaking and then they finally sent me another one). If a person spends money on a product, they expect to get what they paid for. I paid them over 4k for the SC and I got what I wanted and a bunch of problems which should have never happened and you can't say that I shouldn't have driven down there to have them install it or anything like that. I wanted PROFESSIONALS to install the SC to make sure nothing went wrong..not some little shop on the corner.

I know we could get parts from other sources but I chose to get mine from Stillen. I have a very good sales rep and he takes good care of me What I am upset about is when there is a problem noone wants to accept the responsibility.

Woodear, I'm pretty sure if you spent 4k on something and it isn't/wasn't functioning properly for the last 4.5 months you would be upset too.
Old 09-25-2000, 07:04 PM

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Stillen has good response towards the problematic SC kit, my point is that you can't knock them down 100% just cuz the SC issues, they did do alot for Maxima.

Now, regarding the SC and warranty. It's slightly different between Stillen or Dinan. For Dinan, it's factory certified. So if I do run into problems with the car, like you said I will take it back to the dealer, now I don't need to say or do a thing, they have to fix it, there is absolutely nothing else for them to blame or give excuses. For Stillen, it's not Nissan certified(I know some dealers can sell you SMX and do work on it, but it's not honored by Nissan USA I think), thus they can first blame on the installer, in Jose's case, the shop in NJ. In Jane's case she got it done at the Stillen(good move ), but Stillen still can give excuses, such as this or that problem is not really casued by the SC or etc.
There are just too many variables playing, that's why I don't like to mod a car without factory certified anymore, cuz few parties are just gonna blame eachother when problem occurs. Even if Stillen admit the fault and is willing to fix and money doesn't come outta ur pocket at all, the downtime of the car(I doubt Stillen gave Jane a free rental, but one will get a BMW loaner from dealer if Dinan mods acting up) and the hassel is just way too much to handle.