Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

TireRack.com = great customer service

Old 04-21-2008, 07:17 AM
wants an I35

TireRack.com = great customer service

i just want to tell you all my experience with tirerack over the past month.

so as you may know, a couple of weeks back i was very excited to order a set of just-released Motegi SP10 "hyperblack" racing wheels and general UHP tires.

i have a white car, so it was imperitive that i get a dark grey or gunmetal set of wheels to offset the body color.
i came upon these, reasonably priced and super-lightweight Motegis and was instantly sold.

I called up tirerack that weekend and dropped $1100 on this new setup.

about a week later my neighbor calls me to tell me there are a bunch of large packages sitting outside my apartment.
i left work early because i couldnt sit here knowing my new wheels were just waiting outside my apartment - i wanted to get them on ASAP.

i get home and rip open the packaging only to see that the wheels are not black or even dark - they are CHROME. chrome + white = ugly.
i was pretty dissapointed i must say.

this is how they actually look, a far cry from the picture above.

i called my salesman back at tirerack (named Jake), and told him he sent me the wrong wheels. he told me that the "hyperblack" is the only color those Motegis come in, and also that "hyperblack" isnt really black at all, its more like a "shaded chrome". he offered to let me return them, but i would lose over $150 for restocking and dismounting fees.

so whatever, i wanted to see how they looked on my car and i didnt want to have to deal with the return as of that moment....
i put em on and had to leave town for the next few days.

I get back to FL on tuesday and start driving around. they are REALLY lightweight, but my happiness with them ends there. the chrome coating on the wheels is beginning to flake off, the tires were not balanced properly PLUS they were the wrong color.

i regret buying them at this point in time.

i just assumed tirerack wouldnt even hear me out, so i didnt bother contacting them again. i just put my wheels up for sale on craigslist for $850, over a $200 loss.

but after a few days of people offering me 400 and 500 dollars for the set, i figured i would give it returning them a shot.
i call up and ask for customer service and get a woman named "heather".
i explain whats been going on and she is quite sympathtic. i documented everything via picture and emailed her my list of complaints.

within a day i heard back.......

she would refund $946.80 of the $1065 i had spent - pretty good.

the following day i had a bundle of wheel/tire packing supplies (INCLUDING TAPE) sitting at my front door when i got home from work, and she had also emailed me 4 RMAs with prepaid shipping, so all i had to do was package them up, slap on the RMAs and drop them off at my local Fedex branch.

i still have yet to receive my refund because the wheels are in transit back to their main warehouse in Indiana, but heather has kept in good contact with me throughout.

i must say its pretty refreshing to have a company stand behind customer service so vehemently.

CLIFFS: tirerackgood