Dealership and Vendor Experiences Let other Maxima owners, or potential Maxima owners, which dealerships and shops you've had good or bad luck with.

I've had it with Autozone

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 07:18 PM

AutoZone, Advanced Discount Autoparts (formerly Advanced and Discount - now merged), Napa, and the dealership....

To me they all seem to work the same, with the dealer having a better computer program than the others, the guy behind the counter tends to be about clueless. Not all of them, but I find so few counter guys/gals that know anything about cars, and I've ran into some that could barely use the computer in front of them...

I typically go into these places with part in hand, usually with the part number area nice and clean so they can see it. I know the year, make, model, trim, trans, and even usually have the V.I.N. written down too... I don't like going back to get the right part, when I can have it the first time...
Old 05-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Squirrel82
I only buy oil ,windshield washer fluid, and air fresherners there.
Me too and I also buy carb cleaner or "Orange Blast" there lol

Lately dealer is where 90% of my parts have been coming from for the past few months if not year or two

I've had both good and bad experiences with idiotzone.... I can't say I've ran into someone who was at least at MY level of understanding in parts there, and no I'm not a mechanic but I did work for a Murray's which is now O'Reily's for nearly two years.

I've had far too many parts from there fail EXTREMELY prematurely to the point where I demanded my money back! Basically last summer I was replacing my trans mount once a month for 4 months straight... until I bought the mount at the dealer and got my money back for their lifetime warranty garbage.

There are far too many other bad experiences to write about but I will tell this last one. There's a 24 hour autozone here in Chicago and I took my Duracrap "redtop" for warranty because it was dead and the guy accuses me of connecting it wrong as he is connecting the ground cable first, then the positive... now that doesnt matter as much on a charger/tester as it would on a car but we had a good argument in which I ended up calling corporate on him.So after waiting for 2+ hours to find out if he was going to warranty it or not I went and grabbed the Haynes and read the steps on how to install the battery on a Maxima and also showed him the book. I thought I was never gonna leave that place.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that but .NY-Auto-Zone r the best in price,help,parts
Old 09-08-2010, 06:36 PM

i agree with u.i work at autozone and have associate in auto mechanics and they stick me out back stocking shelves.and let absolute morons help customers and always give wrong parts.why wont they let someone who is 33 that knows parts help people.instead of a young kid who has no clue what a spark plug is giving the customers wrong parts.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 00maxima-se617
i agree with u.i work at autozone and have associate in auto mechanics and they stick me out back stocking shelves.and let absolute morons help customers and always give wrong parts.why wont they let someone who is 33 that knows parts help people.instead of a young kid who has no clue what a spark plug is giving the customers wrong parts.
American society is more lenient towards on *** kissers than intelligent people. Get used to it.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM

I have had my share of bad experiences with Autozone. AdvanceAuto now receives my regular business.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:02 PM

advance>autozone
Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM

Autozone: tool loan arrangement, that's the best part. I use them for spring compressors. The rest of it sucks.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 PM

I have to agree, the tool loaning is great, I have used it many times and it has kept me from buying tools I won't need but once or twice in the vehicles lifetime (which far excedes the typical time period that I own one).

The biggest problem for me is the long wait to get help, if you are lucky they will have three people working so that one is outside all the time with the code reader or battery tester, the other is looking up parts and the other one is actually ringing out people that just need something off the shelf and don't want to wait for freakin' ever for all the other problems to be sorted out and BS'd about.

I have often waited forever in line only to find they either don't have the part in stock and will have to order it, or it's some cheap *** brand I have never heard of. I end up leaving and going across the street to Advance and they not only have the part I need but it's actually in stock to purchase and it's usually cheaper!

I have also used O'Reilly's occasionally if desperate enough after the first two didn't work out.

Luckily if I need a part bad enough I have 3 AutoZones, 2 Advance, 1 O'reilly's and 1 PepBoys within 5 miles of my project.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:59 PM

Luckily I have an Autozone, Kragen, Napa, and Pep Boys, not to mention independent parts shops, all within a ten mile radius. It's good to be able to shop around. Maybe that's why you're getting bad service, since they don't have to worry about competitors in your area.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:09 PM

well since a noob decided to help bring this thread back to life, i thought id add that i agree with what everything everyone is saying about these *** clowns at autozone.
the sad thing though, is whatever they are doing,they are doing right cause its always packed.
nothing but tumbleweeds at pep boys and napa...
granted i've only visited stores out in CA and not the rest of the country, but im assuming thats how it is elsewhere too.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
well since a noob decided to help bring this thread back to life, i thought id add that i agree with what everything everyone is saying about these *** clowns at autozone.
the sad thing though, is whatever they are doing,they are doing right cause its always packed.
nothing but tumbleweeds at pep boys and napa...
granted i've only visited stores out in CA and not the rest of the country, but im assuming thats how it is elsewhere too.
Yeah, I didn't realize the last post before mine was so old. I am a noob and want to reach my 15 posts to be able to start a thread. I'm trying to post comments that I think are helpful. I hope my post wasn't out of line or idiotic. My apologies if it was.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:59 PM

just giving you shhit! lol its all good. i was a noob at once too...
Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 PM

@ 5 ltr.: Haha no worries. And as a fellow Southern Californian (I'm in Riverside), I totally agree with what you said about Autozone being busy all the time, though it could just be they're understaffed, which would be my guess. Also, from your experience, have you noticed Kragen selling parts significantly cheaper than the rest?
Old 12-03-2010, 05:21 AM

I'm pretty fed up with them too, their prices suck too. Luckily they're opening an orielys right up the road...
Old 12-05-2010, 12:43 AM

Around here in the bay autozone seems to have cheaper prices than kragen/oriellys.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 AM

Go online to check out part yourself and get the part number for Autozone, Advance, O'Reilly's, etc. If you want a name brand try RockAuto.com.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Autozone is stupid

Hate to Bring up an old thread but just went to autozone like an hr ago and got some throttle body cleaner, and chevron techron, and the guy at the register tries his dammest to sell me some gumont injector cleaner.. why in the hell will i want gumont cleaner if im buying the techron?? im convinced these ppl either dont have a clue what they are doing/selling or they just want your money.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by nives86
Hate to Bring up an old thread but just went to autozone like an hr ago and got some throttle body cleaner, and chevron techron, and the guy at the register tries his dammest to sell me some gumont injector cleaner.. why in the hell will i want gumont cleaner if im buying the techron?? im convinced these ppl either dont have a clue what they are doing/selling or they just want your money.
Its apart of their job to sell it to you. Especially since they have it on sale. they just tell you whats on sale.. If you have a preference then just tell them that and they should just ring you up. You can always give them a review as well.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:48 PM

haha, if he was trying hard to sell you some Gumout it was probably a SPIF item or some other kinda contest.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:38 PM

This is my second time working for auto zone.
i can say this it seems they'll hire any one.
i know my **** about car's which is for what and so forth.
some of the other employee's have the common sense to ask me instead of assyuming (which i don't mind helping out), other's will just do what they "think" is best then next thing you know i'm trying to satisfy the customer becuase of someone else screw up's.

my dad went to the auto zone by his house.
i tell him get the code then I'll do the rest.
he get's the code for his maxima then some asswipe Tell's him it something totally way off his situation.

same thing he goes to my job on my day off and again some kid who ****ing praises ford ecoboost, don't even know what it's really about say's some stupid **** to my dad about the vq30's. Lol.

and some of us don't have a choice on where we can work or not.
i mean i would love to work at a dealership you know.
and the fact that autozone hire's people with less knowledge then me make's me kinda look bad until i talk with the customer and he or she actually see's i have a brain...then i get asked that one question: "your so smart what are you doing working at a place like this?"

Hell i even have customer's that come in and ask for me.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by CrazxyDominican
Its apart of their job to sell it to you. Especially since they have it on sale. they just tell you whats on sale.. If you have a preference then just tell them that and they should just ring you up. You can always give them a review as well.
I work at a retail store too, where its my job to sell suits and measure ppl for dress shirts etc. If i see you walk up to the register and i see you have ties in your hand, why would i ask you if u need ties? thats pretty much what he did, its all about common sense and knowledge. All im saying is dont try and sell me what im already trying to buy, its annoying
Old 04-24-2011, 04:49 PM

I work at a retail store too, where its my job to sell suits and measure ppl for dress shirts etc. If i see you walk up to the register and i see you have ties in your hand, why would i ask you if u need ties? thats pretty much what he did, its all about common sense and knowledge. All im saying is dont try and sell me what im already trying to buy, its annoying
yeah true but sometimes they figure its more of a deal if you get another one. i like if the guy is walking up to the counter with a tie.. and a similar tie of another brand is on sale.. would you not offer it? thats how i figure it.. i mean if you say na this is the one i like then thats it for the conversation
Old 04-25-2011, 04:37 AM

i work with advance auto so...he was just doing his job as it's a requirement by the company for him to sell a customer item of the month or a SPIF item.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by sasha87
i work with advance auto so...he was just doing his job as it's a requirement by the company for him to sell a customer item of the month or a SPIF item.
Well i guess thats understandable
Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM

haa autoaone, i work there as a second job have the ppl dont know ****... they just guess, cuz they dont train you on anything.....

i get soo many ppl ***** cuz some chick manager always selling the wrong parts...smh

know what u need/want before you go to most of them, cuz they just as lost as you guys..
Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

only stuff I buy there is brake pads, fluids, stuff like that. DO NOT buy alternators, batteries, starters, water pumps or anything like this. They always let me down when I purchased anything from them that was "re-manufactured" or had the name duralast on it. If you need like, an oil filter then yea, theyre fine. But, they are cheap for a reason!!!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Same here, I try to snag the "less" important parts....I will say, if getting calipers it's a deal there, lifetime warranty and as long as you buy online just save the email and the calipers/lifetime part can be returned to any store. I went through that with a rear caliper that seized up after a year just this past week.

Plus I always use coupon codes when going to them from retailmenot.com and select in store pickup. It's about 40% off on average, tough to beat that!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 AM

*beats thread* "why.....won't.....this....thread.....DIE!!!!"

Actually, I'm a newb using this thread to get my 15th! yes!

in regards to Autozone.......yes duralast is duracrap.
also, alot of the front counter help are clueless.
They give opinions opposed to facts......then they give you wrong parts....regularly!

Advanced>Autozone
O'Reilly's=too expensive
Pepboys - very pretty on the inside and they sell alotta ricey things for your car but the kids at the counter.....well.......not really on point.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've never had any real problems with autozone. Like its been said before. Go in knowing what you need, vin if its going to be needed, and any other info that you think would be helpful. Search the internet get prices and part numbers and even print off a pic of the part to take with you so you both know what you are looking for.

Autozone and Oriellys have the same part number for numerous items so its easy to compare them two.

If you need parts fast, NAPA or the dealer can usually get them the next day.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:15 PM

It is your responsibility...

If you are going to do the work yourself, you need to be sure you have all the right parts. Its not the hilljack behind the counters problem. Those guys i don't think make any money, half of them don't even care.

If i worked at a AutoZone and someone came in with an attitude or being a ****, i think i would intentionally give you the wrong part, just to be a ****.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Its 100% depends on the employees. I used to have employees there that always had great advices and were almost like best friends to me. Now most of them are gone and bunch of newbies there that instead of saying they don't know, they will give you stupid advice or wrong part causing you to spend much more money for nothing .
Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by dee.signs
If you are going to do the work yourself, you need to be sure you have all the right parts. Its not the hilljack behind the counters problem. Those guys i don't think make any money, half of them don't even care.

If i worked at a AutoZone and someone came in with an attitude or being a ****, i think i would intentionally give you the wrong part, just to be a ****.
Being friendly with ANYONE always helps. My gf would get upset when I flirt with waitresses until she realized I was right and we get better service. Every blue moon I even get a freebie.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:47 PM

I don't like Autozone. They don't stick up to their warranty policy. Employees are not knowledgeable. I used to buy parts at AZ but not anymore. Napa, Rock Auto, Amazon and the dealer is my place to shop for parts. The only thing worth buying from Autozone is the motor oil imo.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 PM

I've had good experiences with Auto Zone here in Minneapolis.

I've bought four rotors, brake pads, struts, spark plugs. all seems fine, they've ran the codes for me, but I assume that it's different for every store.

And their parts were cheaper than O'Reilys.