Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://maxima.org/forums/detailing-51/)
-   -   Winter Washing (https://maxima.org/forums/detailing/276777-winter-washing.html)

guyincognito 01-17-2005 06:30 AM

Winter Washing

What do you guys in the colder climates do to keep your exterior clean in the winter. We just got some snow up here and my car is filthy. I don't trust car washes. What about the do it yourself ones?

mzmtg 01-17-2005 06:49 AM

QEW

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=1545&src=SRQZ

This stuff rocks!

I can wash my whole car is 20 minutes with one bucket, one mitt and one towel. No hose.

Bluesbrekr 01-17-2005 07:34 AM

A touchless automatic car wash is what I use. Does a pretty good job. I have used the DIY ones and that works pretty well too, but it takes a lot longer and you have to hand dry the car, which is tough when it's cold.

DO NOT go to any car wash that uses anything that touches your car! (I speak from experience)

Tek-Niq 01-17-2005 07:46 AM

I also do touchless carwash, the one I go to has a blow drier at the end that blows most of the water off. works alright takes the salt off anyways and I don't get out and freeze my balls.............

JaMdMax97 01-17-2005 07:54 AM

www.carcare2.com

thats what I do 2 times a week

PrinzII 01-17-2005 08:00 AM

I would go to hand washes in the winter months. Touchless would be used to rinse the salt from underneath the car.

BlueC 01-17-2005 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by PrinzII
I would go to hand washes in the winter months. Touchless would be used to rinse the salt from underneath the car.

:sprint:

I have found that the touchless car washes really dont do the trick. I have more luck with the self car wash bays that cost $3.25 in quarters. I just use the high pressure hose, I never use the brush. It works really well for some reason.

infintishock 01-17-2005 09:15 AM

Touchless car washes are nothing more than pressurized water and some added chemicals. If your car has a thick coating of salt and other stuff from the winter weather and it is, for the most part dry, then it could take multiple trips through to completely and thoroughly clean your car. Now I'm not saying they are always going to leave stuff behind because I'm sure some of you guys have had good experience with them, but from what I've seen nothing beats a quality hand wash.

I personally haven't been washing my car that much this winter (moreso because I've been sick than because I haven't felt like it) but at the end of the season I'll go through the touchless laser wash for the undercarriage wash. I think that while these touchless washes are good because they don't scratch your paint, they still slowly strip the wax of your car (confirm/deny?).

Tek-Niq 01-17-2005 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by PrinzII

this is cool I also have tried these, but you spend bout $20 here to have your car get dirty again when the snow starts to melt vs. the $4-9 to just do a fair clean and a underneath wash.

I just think when I spend money to make it look clean, I want it to stay clean for awhile..... when I just go to the touchless and spend less and get a quick wash I don't feel as bad when it get dirty again...

BlueC 01-17-2005 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
this is cool I also have tried these, but you spend bout $20 here to have your car get dirty again when the snow starts to melt vs. the $4-9 to just do a fair clean and a underneath wash.

I just think when I spend money to make it look clean, I want it to stay clean for awhile..... when I just go to the touchless and spend less and get a quick wash I don't feel as bad when it get dirty again...

Thats why you keep a nice layer of wax on the car and it will hardly get dirty the next time, and easier to wash. :)

Tek-Niq 01-17-2005 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BlueC
Thats why you keep a nice layer of wax on the car and it will hardly get dirty the next time, and easier to wash. :)

true, a good wax coat will save you lots of money. easier to wash by far.

thats why I got the simoniz wax on my car from the dealer. works good....

guyincognito 01-17-2005 12:21 PM

I just got the car from the dealer and they cleaned it up and everything before I got it. Unfortunately, it was raining/snowing the day I picked it up :(

Galo 01-17-2005 01:19 PM

I prefer the good ol' DIY touchless car washes where the trick to a super-clean finish is to first apply the low-pressure 'presoak' solution and let soak for two-three minutes before using the high-pressure soap.

These pre-soak solutions are highly-concentrated surfactants that will lift and loosen dirt & grime to be washed off by the high-pressure hose.....I have found that this process leaves my car completely clean -spotless- for less than five bucks:

$1.75 for 4 mins of pre-soak
$3.00 for 5 mins of high-pressure soap and 3 mins of rinse

California Water Blade for first drying
Soft chamois for final drying

Three years and no swirl marks from mitts or sponges. Also, no salt in Oregon so DIY is okay as there's less of a need to wash under-car so often

Terran 01-17-2005 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
QEW

This stuff rocks!

I can wash my whole car is 20 minutes with one bucket, one mitt and one towel. No hose.

Do you just put it in a spray bottle and wipe it off or what?

How dirty can the car be with this stuff? I'd be afraid that just about any amount of dirt/salt would make scratches all over the place when you wipe it off.

Anybody else use it?

Looks great though. Might even be worth using even in the summer so I don't make a mud hole in my dirt driveway.

guyincognito 01-17-2005 02:53 PM

salt is a *****, I'll prob use the DIY once a week or as needed and do a touchless car wash to get the undercarriage once or twice a month, depending on how bad it is. Gotta love New England weather. Anyone in the Lowell or Wellesley area recommend any touchless car washes. I know there is one at the Mobile station in Wellesley on Washington Ave but I'm not sure if it does undercarriage.

Bonka 01-17-2005 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
QEW

This stuff rocks!

:sprint:

Use like regular carwash soap. Mix 1 once of QEW to 1 gallon of water.

Should be gentle on paint:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=126219

I've got to grab me a jug :)

Loe max 01-17-2005 05:17 PM

I went to a car wash where they used brushes...but thats only because my car is so old and it hasn't touched above zero in the past couple days.

Terran 01-17-2005 07:59 PM

Thanks for the club rsx link. That made up my mind. I just ordered some.

Wisky97SE 01-17-2005 08:25 PM

I just drive through the local hand car wash, it costs $10, they handwash the car, hand dry the car, vaccum the inside, clean the windows, etc etc. . . To be honest, its the only carwash my car can drive through, with the coilovers - my car will just scrape a guiderail for all carwashes.

white95max 01-17-2005 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by infintishock
I think that while these touchless washes are good because they don't scratch your paint, they still slowly strip the wax of your car (confirm/deny?).

Yes. Confirmed.

The chemicals they use to wash your car are harsher in the touchless washes. They will eat away at your wax/sealant protection, more than the brush washes would.

cjden20thAE 01-18-2005 04:53 AM

You guys arent going to agree, but I do golden nozzle at my local sunoco, buy the book of 7 washes for 30 bucks, it touches it a little with those spongy things, but works wonders, and not a bad price either!

NismoMax80 01-20-2005 08:38 AM

I found the manufacturer's site. they have a 2 pack (total 32oz) deal for $10 + $5 ship and a free sponge kit. there is also a store locator on the site:

http://www.protectall.com/qe.aspx

just ordered it. My well water sucks, leaves horrible white calcium spots on my new Onyx paint.
guess I'll go to the touchless to clean undercarriage, rinse salt and use this on the side.

this has been on my mind (freezing outside/salt) and with the salt currently on her now, I so love the org.

here are some store rebates: http://www.protectall.com/coupons.htm

guyincognito 01-20-2005 05:13 PM

sweet, post pics when you wash your car with it please :)

NismoMax80 01-31-2005 03:00 PM

well I finally washed her today...

went to DIY wash. i got ripped off, basically paid for free water. the high pressure wouldn't work. I wasn't quite sure so I just rinsed as much salt off as I could. filled a bucket and pulled aside to use this stuff. Wiped her down then got back in line to rinse. I picked the shortest (1guy) and wrong line. he took longer than 2-3 people. I was getting peeved, this stuff was freezing/drying (like it says not to do). well he left 1:30 left so I got every inch quickly w/ high pressure water. Then thoroughly rinsed with the free water.

results, cleanest I can remember her being. drove around to get water off, only a little ice above rear window and spoiler. hope it lasts more than 2 days... still salty around here and snow is melting.

(old pics in signiture, but looks just as good)

Ammi 01-31-2005 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Terran
Do you just put it in a spray bottle and wipe it off or what?

How dirty can the car be with this stuff? I'd be afraid that just about any amount of dirt/salt would make scratches all over the place when you wipe it off.

Anybody else use it?

Looks great though. Might even be worth using even in the summer so I don't make a mud hole in my dirt driveway.

You mix it w/ water, wash your car by sections and wipe it off immediately. I used it the other day:

BEFORE:
http://personalwebs.oakland.edu/~aks...ima/before.jpg

AFTER
http://personalwebs.oakland.edu/~aks...xima/after.jpg

Requin6 01-31-2005 06:48 PM

washed mine today in 35 degree weather. my process is to fill a bucket with hot tap water and car wash soap. get the garden watering can out, fill it with hot water, wet down the car and do the usual washing process. i just use the water can in place of the hose. i also use the yellow playtex household gloves so my hands dont freeze in between trips to the bucket. works like a champ. i usually have to fill the watering can 5-6 times tops before its all done...wheels and all.

the neighbors must think i am crazy. haha.

--Paul

Zeus97MAX 02-01-2005 10:31 PM

I have a touchless car wash right down the street from me. It's 6 bucks, and uses high pressure nozzles, so nothing ever touches the car. Of course, it doesnt come out quite as clean as a good old fashioned hand wash, but during the winter, it works perfect for keeping a thick build up of salt and sand on the car.