Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://maxima.org/forums/detailing-51/)
-   -   New car smell (https://maxima.org/forums/detailing/566185-new-car-smell.html)

blackmax07 07-04-2008 10:53 AM

New car smell

Whats the best air freshener/spray or whatever it is that dealers use for that new car smell..I'm tired of using all these other air fresheners, I recently had a loaner car, and smelling that new car smell got me addicted..whats the best?

OK.Eric 07-04-2008 12:09 PM

Well I know at Target (where I work), they sell those air fresheners that you hang from your rear view mirror and they have the "new car scent" ones.

But I'd like to know what the dealers use as well.

blackmax07 07-06-2008 10:08 PM

no one?

tibal 07-07-2008 06:33 AM

i dont knwo of any perminant "new car smell" but i like the spray, you can find it at stop and shop, cvs, walmart.. etc.. Every few days or so i give it a spray and it smells reall fresh.

papo020 07-07-2008 07:09 AM

They don't use a spray. It's just the smell from fresh plastic/leather ect.....But the closest you're gonna get is the sprays from any auto store. It just doesn't last long. You have to spray every few days to keep the smell. But don't get the ones that hang.....the smell goes away too quickly!! Use the spray.

OK.Eric 07-07-2008 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by papo020 (Post 6503379)
They don't use a spray. It's just the smell from fresh plastic/leather ect.....

How can that be with used cars though?

papo020 07-07-2008 07:46 AM

Depends on how old the car is. If it's still decently new other people can still smell it. FOr instance, say I bought a 07 Max last year for me the smell is gone but for someone who doesn't get in the car everyday they'll smell it somewhat. I've bought used cars (more than two years old) from dealers myself and I never smelled a new car scent.

OK.Eric 07-07-2008 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by papo020 (Post 6503414)
Depends on how old the car is. If it's still decently new other people can still smell it. FOr instance, say I bought a 07 Max last year for me the smell is gone but for someone who doesn't get in the car everyday they'll smell it somewhat. I've bought used cars (more than two years old) from dealers myself and I never smelled a new car scent.

Good point, that makes sense.

maximullins 07-28-2008 12:42 PM

I just bought my '01, and it didn't smell new, but it definitely smelled better because of the leather. Most cloth interiors really hold bad odors, especially smoke and pets smells. I did a leather conditioning, and that helped even more.

OhOhMax 07-28-2008 01:10 PM

I usually use a coconut spray... no "new car" smell actually smells like a new car. I am always disappointed whenever I try a "new car" smell out.

phatboislim 07-28-2008 01:19 PM

my 00 smelled new when i bought it..sometimes when i clean it and freshen it up i can smell it...

it may have something to do w/ the shampoo they use also

The Russian 07-30-2008 09:47 AM

when i got my other car detailed, i had them shampoo the interior, and the conditioner they used made it smell like a brand new car

MiLKCore 07-30-2008 09:53 AM

I have a lime spray that I like to use. When I worked at a dealership we had a cleaner that smelled like cream soda and let me tell all of you... It was delicious.
As for a new car smell we didn't have anything like that. Just the regular cleaning products.

Gollum67 08-02-2008 05:49 AM

I went to Auto Zone and bought "Little Tree" in the can. New car scent that cost $3

http://images.solidcactus.com/autoba...tletreecan.jpg

cpufreak3 08-12-2008 09:29 AM

I've got the new car scent tree hang but it doesn't really smell like a new car, just a fresh scent. Still looking for a true new car smell.

arrocha87 08-12-2008 08:36 PM

here in texas we have the do it urself car washes and the one next door to me has a mister of sort that just fogs the car and the smell lasts like 2 weeks!! anyone in dallas know wat im talking bout?

NismoMax80 09-10-2008 09:21 PM

new car smell is all the chemicals releasing from the materials...

I just wipe down with Zaino leather protectant and people say is smells like new.

FunLovinMaxima 09-11-2008 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80 (Post 6610781)
new car smell is all the chemicals releasing from the materials...

I just wipe down with Zaino leather protectant and people say is smells like new.

yeah, supposedly that scent isn't even healthy to inhale. pretty much any leather cleaner will help out.

webjohn 09-19-2008 09:06 AM

well i dont care, i want the dangerous chemical smell, forget all that cherry stuff:D

jl7288 09-24-2008 03:01 PM

I usually buy a few of the actual fresheners. I'll toss one on the rearview and a few sort of concealed in the seats. It does the trick for about 3 weeks or so. My dad uses this in his 98.
http://www.lanescarproducts.com/newcarscent.html

CakeOD 09-24-2008 04:09 PM

I use the little air freshener cans. The ones I have usually seen at Wal-Mart, etc. have a red plastic top with a scratch n sniff sticker on top. Hide them under the passenger seat or in the rear cup holder and you're golden.

jl7288 09-24-2008 04:36 PM

That's actually a great idea man. Is it liquid inside or just the scent being released? Don't want spillage on the carpeting

baylormax02 09-26-2008 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by webjohn (Post 6622250)
well i dont care, i want the dangerous chemical smell, forget all that cherry stuff:D

haha good call. if i die from inhaling too much new car scent and eating too much raw cookie dough, then i lived a good life :cool:

to me, california scents are the best quality, longest lasting freshners. but getting a new car smell just can't be duplicated :(

B_Eaze 09-27-2008 07:55 AM

:hide: Use diluted bleach in your interior cleaning :hide:

hows that for a chemical smell.

CakeOD 09-27-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by jl7288 (Post 6629011)
That's actually a great idea man. Is it liquid inside or just the scent being released? Don't want spillage on the carpeting

Its sort of a spongy material inside that is soaked with the scent liquid. It could possibly spill when you first get it and its nice and saturated, but after it dries out a bit I wouldn't worry about it. You could try using a command strip or something to stick it if you were too worried about it tipping over.

Nismo 09-28-2008 09:11 PM

I forgot the name of it but I used to sell cars for Toyota and the detail guys had this spray they would use to spray the carpets on used cars after they clean it and it has that smell.

The closest I used to get that rich leather smell is Carjar leather air freshener thing.

seby86 09-29-2008 06:47 PM

here's a crazy idea. what if you somehow aquired a brand new piece of vinly(plastic) or leather that smelled very strong and hid it under your seat or somewhere not visible.

You ever buy a new shower curtain? you know that strong new plastic smell when you sniff it right out of the package? well same concept, except dont use a shower curtain.lol

i'm really not sure how big of a piece you would need to really make a difference

korana 10-03-2008 03:47 PM

Before my car broke down, I had put one of the California scents in the car. It wasn't New Car scent, but Jasmin.

I opened up the car when we first got it to the shop to start putting the new engine in, and it smelled highly of Jasmin.....TWO YEARS LATER.

Those California scents last.....a long time. I know they make those in New Car scent.

liypfhe1 10-03-2008 09:33 PM

yeah i use the California scents "apple valley" i got 4 of them in my 09 max... 2 in the front doof cup holders and 2 int the back where the baby restraint hooks go.. omg the smell is sooooooo damn good.. i open up my trunk and the smell seems to be amplified...

before i used the cal scents, i used to put fabric softener and water in a sprayer bottle and spray the carpets and all the carpeted material ..

Osus14 10-07-2008 01:37 PM

I bought some at advanced auto parts.. it didn't smell like a new car though.

jetsfan2008 10-13-2008 10:16 AM

the new car smell is cool, but Ive actually had more compliments doing what I used to do in my acura. I would get my old bottles of my favorite cologne, and right before it ran out would spray it in the cloth of the roof and under the seats. That smell lasted longer, and the women loved it

QuikShine 11-10-2008 10:40 AM

When we run vehicles through our detail shop for dealers, after we clean the surfaces thoroughly, we always apply our leather conditioner to any vinyl, plastic or leather surfaces. This is the best way to make a car smell new and it lasts for weeks. It is dry to the touch as soon as you apply it so you don't have to worry about getting it on your clothes or anything like that. I guarantee it will make your car smell better than any of those cheap scented things from the auto parts store and it will protect your interior from UV rays as well. Check it out at www.QuikShineGarage.com.

Thanks

Matt93SE 11-12-2008 07:35 AM

Heh.. that 'new car smell' is generally cosmoline. pretty nasty stuff for people actually. it's got all kinds of good things like formaldehyde and mercury in it. you really don't want to be breathing that crap.

As for making the car smell decent, when I showed my cars, I always used lemon-scented pledge to clean the interior. it smelled good, wasn't as greasy as armor-all or the other popular vinyl conditioners and it didn't attract dust like armor-all. It also protects vinyl better than armor-all. win-win. :)

96blkonblkse 11-12-2008 08:20 AM

Yeah the new car smell is pretty unhealthy. You noticed how you always get that film on your windsheild? Thats from the chemicals coming off the dash/seats/carpets. I keep one of those "new car scent" air freshener the tree things, on the floor right by the foot vent, and one under the seat, i only open them a little bit so they dont make the car stink like it.

A poor smelling car is bad, but somoenes whos car absolutely stinks like air freshener is almost as bad. Ideally for me, i like a light smell, just enough to where you know its there but not over powering.

maxgen5 11-19-2008 02:38 PM

I've used a trick off and on with different vehicles I have had over the years. First get it clean... no odors or air freshener smells, go to a fabric store or upholstery shop that has some suede leather scraps. I get several pieces to match the interior about 10-16" square and cut strips as thin as possible from one end to the other almost to the edge so it stays together as one piece and looks like fringe. Now hide it under the seats in the webbing and/or under the center console so that the smell permeates throughout the cabin.

When you come out the next morning, you will be greeted by nice smells. Another option is the Mercedes or BMW leather from a good old torn seat in a junkyard... You would be surprised how good ?Connolly? buttery leather smells when you cut it into strips as described above.