Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

gotta say it - Meguiar's Ultimate Line is awsome

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 PM

gotta say it - Meguiar's Ultimate Line is awsome

ive had my black maxima sitting im my driveway under a tree for the last 5 years.. needless to say the paint was in horrible shape

spent $39 on the harbor freight rotary polisher with backing plate, and bought the black polishing pad there too.. hit auto zone for the Meguiar's wool pad and pep boys for a bunch of different compounds..
after much experimenting - heres what i needed to use - clay bar entire car, wool pad with turtle wax liquid polishing compound to get all the stuff OUT of the paint.. worked great
then mequiar's ultimate polish using the black polishing pad, and then ultimate black wax applied by hand - i gotta say the polish and wax is the best ive ever used.. AND - Meguiar's Ultimate wash and wax soap - will be the only soap i buy from now on..

on another note - the $39 harbor freight polisher worked wonders.. very happy with it for the money..
Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Got Retrofit?

I love their Ultimate Polish.

Got links on the stuff you bought from Harbor Freight? I've been looking into a decent buffer to buy.
Old 05-29-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
I love their Ultimate Polish.

Got links on the stuff you bought from Harbor Freight? I've been looking into a decent buffer to buy.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/polishers/7-inch-variable-speed-polisher-sander-92623.html

dont know why, but there are two that look the same for the same price. im sure there are better machines to buy, but for the amount of time i will use this, if ever again, this was enough for me.. i have a porter cable DA polisher too, but was not agressive enough for what i needed it to do.

i aslo bought the 7" black polishing pad from them, ($9.99) worked great with the polish. they make another yellow pad that got good reviews too.. i bought the wool pad from them, but it seemed like it never stopped shedding so i got a meguiar's wool pad instead.. there was only a few $$ difference

i only got the rotary cause my paint was REALLY bad.. if you dont have serious issues to work out, i would suggest getting a DA instead.. its just easier and worry free.. this was my first time using a rotary. its not as hard as people make it out to be, just have to be a little more conscious of what you are doing.

Last edited by kctyphoon101; 05-29-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:08 PM

How about some pictures.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM

Well I didn't take any before, so there's really no difference to compare it to.. what I can tell u is that I bought a few different cut meguiars compound, including the ultimate, and 2nd hardest professional cut they make, and the turtle wax polishing compound worked MUCH better for what I needed.. it took years or etching and stains off with only one application and didn't leave the paint hazy or with swirl marks.. I used the ultimate polish afterwards and it darkened the color and added gloss.. was really impressed with e everything I used..
Old 05-30-2013, 07:44 AM

Meguiar's is good stuff...not the most $$$ but very good results for the price.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:51 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by kctyphoon101
Well I didn't take any before, so there's really no difference to compare it to.. what I can tell u is that I bought a few different cut meguiars compound, including the ultimate, and 2nd hardest professional cut they make, and the turtle wax polishing compound worked MUCH better for what I needed.. it took years or etching and stains off with only one application and didn't leave the paint hazy or with swirl marks.. I used the ultimate polish afterwards and it darkened the color and added gloss.. was really impressed with e everything I used..
I really don't know squat about detailing, but I came here because my wife's 2004 Majestic Blue Maxima was getting nasty looking, and she wanted it looking like new. I looked around and found the Turtle Wax polish and Meguiars Ultimate polish at a Advance Auto parts store, and got two 24-packs ($11.50/24 - one green, one blue) of microfiber towels at Sam's club. I also picked up the HF 7" polisher and already had an orbital polisher from them, so bought some pads for both.

I washed the car first at a local place then I tried the TW polisher with the rotary but only managed to splatter polish around the garage. Same deal with the orbital. I experimented with a microfiber towel and the TW polishing compound and found that hand rubbing a small area and immediately wiping off the polish with a dry cloth worked wonders! The paint came back to the original color and lustre - so I tried the same thing with the Meguiars wax and it looked even better.

I did the entire car that way - one cloth for rubbing on and another dry cloth for buffing off, one pair of cloths for polish and one pair for the wax, changing when cloths looked dirty. This took about 1/2 hour for the car, and it now looks fantastic in the sun.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
I did the entire car that way - one cloth for rubbing on and another dry cloth for buffing off, one pair of cloths for polish and one pair for the wax, changing when cloths looked dirty. This took about 1/2 hour for the car, and it now looks fantastic in the sun.
THIS. It is a PITA but well worth it.

Did you claybar the car, too?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:28 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
THIS. It is a PITA but well worth it.

Did you claybar the car, too?
Nope - at first I thought that using a rotary polisher with the TW Polish would clean off anything major, but when that didn't work and I started doing it by hand, I wasn't going to chase clay. I've never used it before, so why start now, right?

Really, the hand application of TW polish followed by the Ultimate wax worked very well, produced a great finish, didn't take very much time, and left me with unused polishers and pads - and about 20 each of green and blue microfiber cloths.

Wanna buy a HF variable-speed polisher? Free pads...
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM

Meguiar's soap is the biznezz
Old 06-20-2013, 06:39 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Meguiar's soap is the biznezz
Really? I'm going to try that, too... I need to clean and wax the Shark anyway, and since the Turtle Wax polish and Meguiar's wax worked so well, I was thinking about a better way to clean the car besides going to a car wash. I've used Turtle Wax car wash soap in the past, and it works pretty well, but I'm up for Meguiar's.

I need to do the new tow truck as well - hmmmm - my wife and daughters are taking the grandkids to a church camp this weekend so this would be a good time to do both. Yea !

EDIT: well, at least I got a bottle of the Meguiar's car wash... pretty cheap at the Walmart.

Last edited by grey99max; 06-26-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:43 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Headlights, Wash, Tires

Recently I used the Meguiar's Car Wash on three of the family cars during the holidays, and it works very well. Amazing stuff.

I have also been using the Ultimate Compound to clean up older headlights and it works very well with just some applied on a cloth, some quick wax-on wax-off action, and a wipe to clean it up. Yesterday I got some out and went after the door scrapings and general scratches on the Shark and most of the problems disappeared, on the side I worked on. Gotta finish up the car.

Earlier I bought Meguiar's Tire Shine (probably an Ultimate) and used that on the Shark, just because. You know how most tire products darken the tire -for a while- and then it's back to usual? This stuff gives my M/T ET Street Radials a black, almost shiny, appearance and after driving the car a few days (on night patrol ) they still look the same.

I might have to use clay next - I find the paint on my new Frontier has a scratchy feel to it, that the Ultimate Polish does not completely cover.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:34 PM

Have you ever used Turtle wax Platinum tire shine?

Bsst tire shine I have ever used. It goes on so light that it doesn't dry spotty and dries really quick. I don't know if you have ever used Black Magic, which is the worst IMO, but it is the exact opposite of that.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:32 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Have you ever used Turtle wax Platinum tire shine?

Bsst tire shine I have ever used. It goes on so light that it doesn't dry spotty and dries really quick. I don't know if you have ever used Black Magic, which is the worst IMO, but it is the exact opposite of that.
Nope - the Meguiar's is the only top-of-the-line tire shine I've ever used, and that's only because the other Meguiars products worked so well. Yeah, I've used the Black magic spray-on stuff on the wife's car, but it faded so fast that I gave up on tire shines. Guess I should have looked harder..... Maybe I'll find some Turtle Platinum and use it on my Frontier and see how it holds up. Thanks...