Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://maxima.org/forums/detailing-51/)
-   -   Suggestions on how to remove black tar spots from road work (https://maxima.org/forums/detailing/612524-suggestions-how-remove-black-tar-spots-road-work.html)

rawbutt 04-23-2010 05:59 AM

Suggestions on how to remove black tar spots from road work

Every day, I travel along a stretch of interstate that has been getting re-surfaced with the black stuff. I hate hearing all that stuff hitting my car and going up under the wheel wells, etc. Inevitably, I end up with little black specks on the front of the car and they are kind of a pain to get off with regular car wash solution. If I really scrub at each speck, they will usually come off, start kind of smearing brown first, then go away. Was just wondering if there was a better product I could use to get this stuff off that is still safe for the paint/clear coat, etc. ? Wasn't sure if clay is good for that or not?

Thanks,
Robert

gizzsdad 04-23-2010 11:07 AM

WD40 works. I've also used kerosene. If you're lucky you might find some citrus cleaner than can do the job. If you use either of the first two, you'll need to re-apply wax or sealant.

rawbutt 04-23-2010 11:19 AM

thanks! i will give one of the ones you mentioned a try this weekend.

robert

I VIK I 04-25-2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad (Post 7528412)
WD40 works. I've also used kerosene. If you're lucky you might find some citrus cleaner than can do the job. If you use either of the first two, you'll need to re-apply wax or sealant.

Doesnt kerosene damage the clearcoat?

2 GO B4 04-25-2010 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by rawbutt (Post 7528015)
Every day, I travel along a stretch of interstate that has been getting re-surfaced with the black stuff. I hate hearing all that stuff hitting my car and going up under the wheel wells, etc. Inevitably, I end up with little black specks on the front of the car and they are kind of a pain to get off with regular car wash solution. If I really scrub at each speck, they will usually come off, start kind of smearing brown first, then go away. Was just wondering if there was a better product I could use to get this stuff off that is still safe for the paint/clear coat, etc. ? Wasn't sure if clay is good for that or not?

Thanks,
Robert

I've used bug and tar remover in the past and it worked fine....youll just need to re-wax the car in the area you use it...don't remember the brand off hand...i think it was turtle-wax.....green and yellow labeling....not sure though...

gizzsdad 04-26-2010 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by I VIK I (Post 7531154)
Doesnt kerosene damage the clearcoat?

Not so far for me. I only use it when I have something particularly tough on the paint, don't leave it on for long, and re-apply wax or sealant right away.

BIG CTY 04-26-2010 11:24 AM

I've used Goo Gone with no issues before. They have tons of it at the $1 store. Worked great, just be sure to rewax like several others have mentioned.