Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Just bought my first Maxima and have some detailing question/need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just bought my first Maxima and have some detailing question/need advice

Hello, first off these forums are fabulous! I've been lurking for a few days and have found some great info! I traded in my 2004 GMC Envoy for a 2009 Maxima SV + Prem Pkg with 20,000 miles on her, Jade Mist. Im in love.

Here are some questions I have:

1. Dash cleaning: The texture of the dash is a rougher texture. It seems whatever I use to clean it, it grips and retains lint. I used a napkin to wipe off a smudge I saw on the fly...BIG mistake. What do you all use when wiping the dash? I have a microfiber covered sponge that even left lint. Im also not used to a dash that isnt smooth.

2. Best product for making the wood accents (surrounding stereo and shifter area) gleam yet doesnt leave a lint attracting film?

3. Ive read that the clear coats are somewhat thin. Shall I invest in a pro wax job? I'm a female so I have no desire to buy a mechanical buffer, nor do I possess the skill or muscle to hand wax without it looking like crap

4. I am going to buy some Invisible Glass (regular, not the rain repel kind) to use inside and out. Would Meguires spray wax work as a good rain repellant on the outside?

5. Im caught between Meguires or Lexol leather conditioner. I want something locally available. Preferences between the 2?

thanks in advance!
Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
bald aggression est 78

welcome to the org and congrats on your new purchase you

1.use microfiber towels on your dash they can be picked up at walmart

2.im still looking myself for something that will keep wood nice bright with out leaving a residue so i cant help you there

3. you dont need muscle to hand wax just make sure your paint is cool to the touch, wax in the shade and do a panel at a time

4.it does but i.m.o it's not effective nor does it last long

5.I have heard different reviews on both some say meguires and some prefer lexol try them both

Last edited by Kountz430; 07-06-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 PM

Waxing isn't hard, it is just annoying haha. You should wax the entire car in a circle and then remove it in the same order that you put it on. You can wipe your finger over an area that you waxed and if it came off easily (doesn't feel greasy) then its time to remove it. I recently found a small section maybe a square inch on my roof that I forgot to take the wax off of when I waxed my car a month ago haha. Just make sure you don't get the wax on plastic (unless it says its plastic safe) because it stains it.

I used meguiars ultimate quik wax (the spray) for a while, it doesn't really work that long, you're better off buying a liquid wax (i use NXT 2.0 by meguiars and love it) and it'll last you possibly a month. You can touch it up with the UQW or their ultimate quik detailer is also a good product.

Congrats on your new car!