Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

CF hood how to make like new or better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:53 AM

CF hood how to make like new or better?

My carbon fiber hood is in not so great condition as in the clear coat finish... it also green rather than gray/black carbon color. i bought the car like that but im not sure if it can be fixed it has alot of spots on it. the picture im putting up is when i first got the car it is a little better now that after i used compound with a buffer, polish and waxed it but its still a little noticeable and the color is still green is there anything i can do? i dont really feel like sanding it down and reclearing. maybe a clay bar? by the way the brand is VIS Racing so the reason of this is definitely not the brand. Thanks in advance guys!Name:  8f910de6.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  194.5 KB

Last edited by MaxFiyah; 08-14-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Name:  8f910de6.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  194.5 KB
Old 08-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Boosted Panda

Clay bar isnt going to do jack for the finish, Clay bars removes sediments which is not what you have. The gel coat on the hood has basicly worn thin. CF hoods dont use a top clear coat per say, just the gelcoat used to cover the CF.
Its also not a very high end finish either, and the UV rays are allowed to penetrate and thats what has caused the yellowing/green color. No way to get rid of that either.
You could have the hood sanded and refinished and that would get rid of the peeling issues but the off color will still be there.
Ive been through three CF hood, my first two all ahd these issues. When I purchased my third hood I had it sprayed with 3 coats of automotive clearcoat before installing it.
Its been more then three years now and its still looks like new.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:52 PM

Thanks Flava! not the answer i was wanting to hear but what can i do lol my carbon fiber hood on my acura tsx is so nice but i bought the car like this. in the month ive been on the org i heard about you many times in a good way ofcourse lol
Old 11-03-2012, 05:47 PM

just wanted to update this thread with what i did about the hood, so i wet sanded it down and when i was sanding it the cloudy stuff was going away super fast, and then i clear coated it with rustoleum automotive clear used 2 cans came out decent some texture still waiting for maybe another week or two to wet sand then compound then i believe itll look tons better. right now it looks alot better then b4 the shine isnt as great but it sure looks better then looking at a cloudy hood (i didnt go to a shop cause im not ballin or anything still a in college and i dont want to spend 2-300 bucks to reclear the hood) here are some pics
Name:  DSCN2103.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  45.1 KB
Name:  DSCN2104.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  48.3 KB
Name:  DSCN2105.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  DSCN2106.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  23.5 KB
it sorta looks like 1 color but the carbon fiber has not been damaged at all besides those uv rays couldnt do anything about that its jsut the camera didnt focus that well.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Got Retrofit?

Not bad.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:41 PM

thanks i am happy with it for a kid whose on a budget. ima add some new pics after i wet sand and compound it!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Clay bar isnt going to do jack for the finish, Clay bars removes sediments which is not what you have. The gel coat on the hood has basicly worn thin. CF hoods dont use a top clear coat per say, just the gelcoat used to cover the CF.
Its also not a very high end finish either, and the UV rays are allowed to penetrate and thats what has caused the yellowing/green color. No way to get rid of that either.
You could have the hood sanded and refinished and that would get rid of the peeling issues but the off color will still be there.
Ive been through three CF hood, my first two all ahd these issues. When I purchased my third hood I had it sprayed with 3 coats of automotive clearcoat before installing it.
Its been more then three years now and its still looks like new.
Where did you have it sprayed with clear coat at? A professional auto place? Im getting ready to buy the exact same hood and I dont want problems. But then again my Maxima is garaged and I never drive it in the winter.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Where did you have it sprayed with clear coat at? A professional auto place? Im getting ready to buy the exact same hood and I dont want problems. But then again my Maxima is garaged and I never drive it in the winter.
u may be fine just wax it alot i bought the car faded the past owner didnt have a garage, my othe car is a show car has a cf hood also but i wash once a week, and wax once a month nd have no issues at all
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Boosted Panda

Yes, when I ordered my last hood I had it drop shipped to a body shop and they sprayed it for me. They put two coats of clear on it and its held up fine. Still looks like new.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Yes, when I ordered my last hood I had it drop shipped to a body shop and they sprayed it for me. They put two coats of clear on it and its held up fine. Still looks like new.
Is that expensive to get done? I want to do that. Those CF hoods expensive. Im ordering the VIS Invader hood and the Ionoic Dynamics CF trunk AND spoiler. Want to get that all clear coated.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:51 PM

Sometimes what people do to get a 'sleeper' look is they completely sand down the CF color and everything down to the fiber, and then paint it the same color as the car. Basically just have it for weight reduction and thats what you can do if the carbon fiber is looking really bad. Thats atleast what i've seen done on some Hondas that wanted to retain a stock look, but needed the weight reduction up front due to gained weight of a motor swap.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Boosted Panda

Is that expensive to get done? I want to do that. Those CF hoods expensive. Im ordering the VIS Invader hood and the Ionoic Dynamics CF trunk AND spoiler. Want to get that all clear coated.
I wanna say they charged me like 200.00 for the hood but its been a while.

Originally Posted by LazYRaCeR
Sometimes what people do to get a 'sleeper' look is they completely sand down the CF color and everything down to the fiber, and then paint it the same color as the car. Basically just have it for weight reduction and thats what you can do if the carbon fiber is looking really bad. Thats atleast what i've seen done on some Hondas that wanted to retain a stock look, but needed the weight reduction up front due to gained weight of a motor swap.
Why would you sand it down to the fiber to paint it? Lightly sanding the clear just enough for the paint to adhere should be enough.
Also, if your just going to paint a CF hood, why not simply pay less money and get a FG hood?
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 AM

i was gonna get my hood paint matched to the body but then i just recleared it for 12 bucks plus some sandpaper from prior home body work. ima be painting a stock bumper with paint from paintscratch in the near future and i want to do a review on the paint cause i cant find any on how good itll match compared to 9 year old paint