Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Suggestions for dark color paint shine

Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 157
Suggestions for dark color paint shine

So i want to bring back some life to my car (black color) and I am looking into different products that say would do the job. Do you guys have any suggestions and or have used any products to bring back that black shine and or dark color shine to your cars?
albo is offline  
Old 02-23-2015, 02:42 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by albo View Post
So i want to bring back some life to my car (black color) and I am looking into different products that say would do the job. Do you guys have any suggestions and or have used any products to bring back that black shine and or dark color shine to your cars?
Hey dude, the best thing you can do right now to make your car look better is to Clay bar your paint. Or use a Nanoskin sponge to remove the deep down dirt in the clear coat, which is blocking the reflectiveness of your undercoat. You can wash your car everyday and it won't shine because of the deep down contaminates.

Search Amazon for "Nanoskin sponge" its like $22. I have not done a writeup on this because there are like 100 videos showing this process.
For a REAL shine you would have to polish your car to remove the swirls.

Good luck and post here if you have any questions or PM me.
https://maxima.org/forums/detailing/...-projects.html

Last edited by SR20Power; 02-23-2015 at 02:47 PM.
SR20Power is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 06:42 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 561
I don't believe in car color specific stuff. Like SR said I was doing the wrong things for years and hadn't done any real paint protecting and restoring. Anyway for what it's worth the threads on here where I'm a moron are worth a read... Not for my posts but SR and other guys that helped me out. Bang for the buck Meguiars make a good product. Good luck
BIGIRISHSTL is offline  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:51 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL View Post
I don't believe in car color specific stuff. Like SR said I was doing the wrong things for years and hadn't done any real paint protecting and restoring. Anyway for what it's worth the threads on here where I'm a moron are worth a read... Not for my posts but SR and other guys that helped me out. Bang for the buck Meguiars make a good product. Good luck
Yes, Irsh eyes was open to the detailing world and my eyes was opened about 3 years ago. It's a quick and easy thing to learn and you will be AMAZED at all the things you were doing wrong.

But as Irsh said, Color specific products is a way to sell to the customer. Remember, the color of the product does NOT matter as everything you do your car paint is done to the Clear coat NOT the base coat (actual paint).
SR20Power is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 09:09 AM
  #5  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 157
thanks for the information before hand, but i think the clay bar option would probably be the route i will take, know i have another question and or suggestion.. which is better and do u guys recommend the mothers California gold clay bar kit or the Meguiar's Smooth Surface - Clay Kit?

another question i have is the steps so i have to wash the car, apply the clay bar, what would be next thing to do apply wax, polish?
albo is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 11:12 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by albo View Post
thanks for the information before hand, but i think the clay bar option would probably be the route i will take, know i have another question and or suggestion.. which is better and do u guys recommend the mothers California gold clay bar kit or the Meguiar's Smooth Surface - Clay Kit?

another question i have is the steps so i have to wash the car, apply the clay bar, what would be next thing to do apply wax, polish?
https://maxima.org/forums/detailing/...-car-wash.html

Amazon have the mothers kit for $15 shipped if you have prime.
SR20Power is offline  
Old 02-25-2015, 01:29 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 561
Surprised you want to go with clay? Have you looked up the nanosponge and its ilk? It's pretty great comparatively.
BIGIRISHSTL is offline  
Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 AM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: austin, tx
Posts: 157
its a thing of timing i am trying to get it done this weekend and clay is something i can find at the store... i like the idea of the nanosponge however i cant find a place that sells it local, so for now its the clay and next time i will prep more to get the nanosponge...
albo is offline  
Old 02-27-2015, 04:58 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 561
Gotcha. Make sense. Pic it up with before and after a. Everyone loves paint ****!
BIGIRISHSTL is offline  
Old 02-27-2015, 08:25 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Athens Georgia
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by BIGIRISHSTL View Post
Gotcha. Make sense. Pic it up with before and after a. Everyone loves paint ****!
I second that!!
SR20Power is offline  
Old 03-04-2015, 07:01 PM
  #11  
Newbie - Just Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 6
The best thing you can do to dark color cars to make them shine really nice again is to buff it with a nice compound that polishes as you go, the one I use at the shop is the 3M ultrafine #3, trust me this stuff is amazing. If you've never buffed before it's not hard this stuff won't burn the paint, just keep rpms around 1k and don't forget to clay bar first or you'll just swirl that dirt around. Clay itself isn't enough to bring back the shine but after you use this stuff you'll think it's a different car.

3M 06068 Perfect-It Ultrafine Machine Polish - 1 Quart
RageKrane94 is offline  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:05 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 561
^^ Nice add. We've got a pro to bounce things off of now! Always welcome people who do this or around this for a living.
BIGIRISHSTL is offline  
Old 03-23-2015, 07:10 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 41
Hmmm really depends on the condition of the paint. If I were in your shoe, I would clay it down polish and apply Klasse twin.
viprider is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
The Frye
7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)
12
02-03-2019 08:34 AM
doctorpullit
8th Generation Maxima (2016-)
13
04-23-2017 05:35 AM
Luigi623
7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)
4
09-21-2015 01:42 PM
RWCreative
4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999)
9
09-21-2015 11:01 AM
Maxima.KsA
7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015)
10
09-08-2015 11:33 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suggestions for dark color paint shine


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.