Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Detailing (https://maxima.org/forums/detailing-51/)
-   -   Big scratch removal (https://maxima.org/forums/detailing/692574-big-scratch-removal.html)

mattz300 03-23-2016 09:02 PM

Big scratch removal

2 Attachment(s)
All,

Previous owner did these somehow then tried to touch them up by using a matching paint stick??? What would be the best way to make these look better?

SR20Power 03-23-2016 11:16 PM

That's a MESS..
The first picture I would like to say is a loss bud, take that to a shop and have it fixed. Without me being able to put my hands on the paint it's hard to say what to do there. I would sand it and buff it just to see what happens.. If you are able to have someone do that you may be lucky to have that horrible paint touchup removed.
I can almost bet the second scratch can be removed with a light sanding and a buff.
What state are you in?

mattz300 03-24-2016 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SR20Power (Post 9101699)
That's a MESS..
The first picture I would like to say is a loss bud, take that to a shop and have it fixed. Without me being able to put my hands on the paint it's hard to say what to do there. I would sand it and buff it just to see what happens.. If you are able to have someone do that you may be lucky to have that horrible paint touchup removed.
I can almost bet the second scratch can be removed with a light sanding and a buff.
What state are you in?

Yea... I knew that first one just sucked! I live in SoCal. Thanks for the advice though I think Ill start with the sand and buff

max ride 41 04-24-2016 11:17 PM

why on gods earth would somebody go across the scratch instead of just going into the scratch? that first one looks like a crayon, clear coat compound number 7 by dupont on both of them. you go against the scratch first and then in the direction of the scratch second and repeat the process. remember your taking off a little paint every time you do it. use discretion and do a little at a time.

mattz300 04-25-2016 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by max ride 41 (Post 9107079)
why on gods earth would somebody go across the scratch instead of just going into the scratch? that first one looks like a crayon, clear coat compound number 7 by dupont on both of them. you go against the scratch first and then in the direction of the scratch second and repeat the process. remember your taking off a little paint every time you do it. use discretion and do a little at a time.

I have no idea why that previous owner thought that was a good idea. The more I see it the more I question his thought process. He used Nissan (color matched) paint pen in a manor my 3 year old could have improved on.

I appreciate the advice and will get on this soon!

mattz300 05-05-2016 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
UPDATE::: Had shop wax, clay bar and work on large scratches. They were able to completely remove both. Pic attached to show area where large door scratch was.

viprider 06-06-2016 07:54 PM

Yup looks great now. Some shops would even level it down first by sanding it before polishing it to finish.

SR20Power 06-13-2016 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by viprider (Post 9113251)
Yup looks great now. Some shops would even level it down first by sanding it before polishing it to finish.

I like to believe this is what they did for the first picture.. I have no clue what in the hell that is... but the car looks crisp now..

Thanks for the update!!!