Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Dyno Discussion and Slips (https://maxima.org/forums/dyno-discussion-slips-33/)
-   -   275hp & 258ft-lbs ranmas2004 Maxima 6-speed (https://maxima.org/forums/dyno-discussion-slips/646887-275hp-258ft-lbs-ranmas2004-maxima-6-speed.html)

ranmas2004 03-16-2012 08:22 AM

275hp & 258ft-lbs ranmas2004 Maxima 6-speed

CORRECTION.....

I accidentally put up the 3rd gear pull dyno so I deleted the whole post. Also cleared up the AFR confusion (see below). The 4th gear pull dyno is the closer to 1:1 ratio and final numbers are:

275hp & 258ft-lbs.

PERFORMANCE MODS:

Cattman Headers
Cattman test pipe
3" Cattman catback exhaust
NWP Spacers
Stillen UD Pulley
SPEC Stage II Clutch
Fidanza Flywheel
Custom Intake Manifold
2009 Maxima Throttle Body
Custom intake piping with 6" AEM filter with Vstack
MAF Delete (tune MAP sensor)
Haltech 350z Platinum pro ECU with custom PnP harness
Haltech Dual Wideband Controller kit with 2 O2 sensors

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7200/6...e5752c0e_b.jpg

OLD DYNO vs. NEW DYNO:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7182/6...e8028932_b.jpg

A bit disappointed.....but looks like great gains. Top end is AMAZINGLY imrpoved!! I had an issue with AFR showing 14.9 but the tuner said he did not use dyno wideband he used the Haltech wideband so that 14.9 AFR that was showing was bogus. Going to test drive the car today and see how it feels later around 5-6pm I should arrive back in PA.

I would like to thank SURRATT personally because he made all this possible with the Haltech PnP harness!! Also THANKS to everyone that gave me advice on my build (Shift_max, aackshun, Cant_get_ryte, Rochester, tunermaxima3000, etc) !!!! This forum has REALLY REALLY helped me out and I have learned TONS AND TONS just being here and reading!

Other than that this completes my LONG N/A journey. Now I know why people just go turbo....all that DAM money spent for little azz gains is for the birds!!! Might be going turbo sooner now...so frustrated!! See yall in the induction forums!!!!!!!

Zack342 03-16-2012 08:27 AM

Awesome #s when you consider stock a 6mt at best puts down 205-210whp. Good luck with your turbo build

ranmas2004 03-16-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Zack342 (Post 8403116)
Awesome #s when you consider stock a 6mt at best puts down 205-210whp. Good luck with your turbo build

You right, if I look at it like that.....thanks for the positive words.

SurraTT 03-16-2012 09:25 AM

Great gains that's forsure!

From 4200 + you can REALLY see that the changes you made helped the motor a lottt. Def a good looking older DE motor.

No problem on the Haltech setup! That's what I do! haha

Grand_hustle17 03-16-2012 09:59 AM

this also should quiet the DEK guys about the 3.5 not holding power to peak lol

essential1 03-16-2012 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17 (Post 8403268)
this also should quiet the DEK guys about the 3.5 not holding power to peak with an aftermarket/modded IM lol

Fixed. :mrgone:

6spd_Hayes 03-16-2012 01:35 PM

Great looking numbers! If you don't mind, can you put up a full mod list that got you to those numbers?

ranmas2004 03-16-2012 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes (Post 8403524)
Great looking numbers! If you don't mind, can you put up a full mod list that got you to those numbers?

OK...added performance mods to original post.

1swtmax 03-17-2012 01:30 PM

How did the butt dyno feel on the way home.

ranmas2004 03-17-2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1swtmax (Post 8404443)
How did the butt dyno feel on the way home.

Sad thing is I haven't even driven it yet. I went to pick up the car Friday and it was running really rich...about 10.0 at idle even after it was warmed up. The Tuner has been sick all week and was in the hospital for some personal reasons. So the tuner was not there to look at the car. The owner said they took it for a test drive and everything was fine then he said it was around 14.8 - 15 at idle. He said he probably flashed it and the flash did not take or something. They are not expecting the tuner to get back until Tuesday. I talked with the tuner and he said he will try to come in, but I told him that his health was more important and forget the car and to just get well and not to worry. So hopefully I should be able to pick the car up sometime this week and then I'll let yall know how the difference feels......

Rods03Max619 03-17-2012 07:56 PM

Nice Numbers, and are you getting SFR Turbo or doing your own build of one...:D

ranmas2004 03-17-2012 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619 (Post 8404740)
Nice Numbers, and are you getting SFR Turbo or doing your own build of one...:D

Hell no!!! Not buying anything else from SFR. Im going with a custom build. the custom build will be WAY better than their turbo package. My turbo will be Ball Bearing and will have a custom tune instead of their out of the box split second tune. Im getting ready to start a build thread in the forced induction forum. It wont be as detailed or long as the n/a thread, but have good info on the build.

ranmas2004 03-19-2012 08:53 PM

CAR REVIEW AFTER HALTECH TUNE, SFR MANIFOLD & 2K9 MAXIMA TB!!!!

Finally picked up the car! Here is my review of the car now:

When I first drove it I had to get used to the fact that the plenum volume on the intake is much bigger than the plenum volume on the stock manifold. When you step on the gas there is a slight reduction in rpms because the TB has to open and fill the intake with all that air first...so you get this reduction in rpms. Tuner upped idle rpms and did some things to the fuel down low so that this is minimal, but it still happens. You can simply avoid this problem by just giving it a little more gas while letting off clutch and accelerating.

Now before the car had a peak torque around 4k it would pull real hard and then die out and it was obvious. Down low was decent, but nothing to scream about. NOW...the dam thing pulls all the way from down low rpms to 7k and wants to keep going!!! Dam I wish I had some rod bolts and valve springs with cams to go with this manifold!!!! GOOD GRIEF!!!! The Car never feels like it YANKS you in a certain spot. There is like this smooth continuous pull that gets harder and harder all the way up to redline......FEELS GREAT!!! The car runs REALLY REALLY smooth now. I can give 2 examples of how the car feels at full throttle:

(1). Its like Honda's VTEC when it first came out when VTEC engaged it was all BRUTAL....then they came out with iVTEC and the vtec came in much more smooth and was much more effective but people were complaining because they didn't get that PUSH back in their seats....but it was BETTER. My car runs like that.......like iVTEC is CRAKING ALL THE TIME.....LOL.

(2). If you dont get the first example. Its Like the heavyweight boxer that goes out in the first round and throws BOMBS, swingin with ALL his power all crazy tryin to KO the other person and then get tired and fall flat on their face 2 mins into the 1st round (thats how the car was before). Now its like the seasoned fighter that applies constant pressure in the ropes not letting you out until the FINAL round of the fight. You in the corner gettin yo azz beat and you thinking "This mofo NEVER get tired." THATS HOW THE CAR IS NOW!!! No peaks...just PULLS YO AZZ ALL THE WAY THROUGH REDLINE!!!! AWESOME!!

Driving around town shifting at about 3500rpms is TOTALLY fun...the car has so much CONTROLLABLE torque that I can zip around and not even try!!! Feels like a brand new car; YES its that smooth now!! But then get on the FREEWAY and downshift to 3rd gear at 70mph!!! OMG!!! It feels like someone grabbed the front of the car and SNATCHED IT and is trying to run away with it!!!! I find that it is even MORE ignorant when I'm cruising at 40mph in 5th gear then drop to 2nd gear......IT feels even MORE powerful then!!!

If you thought the sound of the 3" cattman exhaust was sexy before...it sounds TOTALLY TOTALLY different and sexy as HELL NOW!!!! When that thing gets to howling at 6k its like nothing you ever heard before. Feel like Im not even in a Maxima, it feels like some exotic sports car the tone is so beautiful!!!

I also noticed smoother and FASTER throttle response than before. Thats due to the bigger TB!! Well worth it!!!! EVERY MAXIMA should have the 2009 Maxima TB!!!!! I noticed that I have MUCH more control over the car. Example; Before when I tried to launch car in 1st it would just spin the wheels and it was so hard to get traction because of the torque comes in so fast and hard. Now the torque comes in gradual but STRONG and CONSTANTLY increases and I can actually launch the car like some EVO now!!! A little chirp then Im off!!! Its totally predictable now! The tuner said the car is like a "Tamed Beast" now. Before it was just out of control.

As far as comparing graphs...there is no possible way I can compare the graph to what the car drives like. The peak numbers and graph does not tell the entire story....more so the area under the curve and the smooth torque curve tells alot, and there is still some things the graph cant show. The thing is AWESOME NOW!!!! I'll try to get some acceleration vids to compare what it was like before.....

I asked the tuner "so you couldn't get me to 280hp?" He said look at this...then he goes and shows me a graph where it did 278, then 280...but I'm not going to get into all the numbers and crap. It makes anywhere between 275 and 280hp on the dyno depending on the conditions I guess. The tuner said that he could have made the tune even better but the stock ECU has control of the TB and there is a separate unit that Haltech sells that connects to the Haltech box that allows you to control the electronic TB. I told him to get it. This will be installed for the turbo build. He said once he has control over the TB then I wont need that sprint booster anymore because he can adjust the throttle response, fuel, timing and cam timing in all to make the best possible tune!!! He said he was fighting with the ECU over the TB but he managed to get some smoothness out of the TB...I felt it!!!

I had 2 codes. I had one for the MAF, but he put a fake voltage on the MAF sensor and that went away. I also have a another code...dont know the number but its for over advancement of camshaft timing. Tuner said he had to advance cam timing and that is why I have the smooth curve that I do and the the torque. He also said that is one reason the HP doesn't just fall off at the end because of the advanced cam timing. He said not to worry about that because when we go turbo he will bring it back down and the light will go away!!!

I can't WAIT to see this thing turbo!!! Also talked about setting up 2-step launch control!!! Gonna be SERIOUSLY IGNORANT!!!! IGNORANT!!!!

ranmas2004 03-20-2012 09:29 PM

Figure I'd post a vid so you guys can see what the car is like on the street....

music didn't breakdown like I wanted but it is only my second vid that I created with music and titles and crap...so be easy. I'll get better as time goes on!

CLyons0203 04-11-2012 08:32 PM

how did you handle the wiring?

ranmas2004 04-12-2012 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by CLyons0203 (Post 8434922)
how did you handle the wiring?

PM sent...

MrEous 04-12-2012 11:08 AM

Very nice man...good luck on going turbo. Luckily 'most' of the bolt-ons you already have will only compliment a new turbo setup so you've got that going for you too.

:D

CHEF KOCH 10-05-2017 03:55 AM

God damn. Why did I join this forum so late in the future?!? I felt your excitement and happiness reading the update after tune, EXACTLY how I felt about my Maxima even from 240hp stock. Unreal cars and even more unheard of in New Zealand, basically a luxurious sleeper.

Nice post