Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima.org > Feedback/Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Fundamental Problems with How We Organize Information

Feedback/Suggestions Let us know what you like about Maxima.org, its forums, or let us know what suggestions you may have! DO NOT POST YOUR CAR QUESTIONS HERE.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:48 AM

This is a great site, with lots of information, and many members who are very knowledgeable.

However, the way we organize information is poor. Sticky information doesn't stick, brilliant ideas/recommendations get lost/buried, search does not work for all members equally well, and people get frustrated.

I have been a member for 11 years, but only been active the last 12-18 months. I had worked in HiTech for 42 years, have advanced degree in computer science, and I am both willing & want to HELP.

Whom should I talk to?
Who is the OPs manager responsible for this site?
Who else feels the same way?
Old 05-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Kevlo for President

what do you want to do?

at one time i was going to redo all the 4th gen stickies

too much work with my actual work so i never got around to it.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevlo911 View Post
What do you want to do?
We should replace the existing thread mechanism with:
  • A collection of static Web pages that would contain the sticky information. Each subtree of this collection would have a designated maintainer. If/when/where needed, the maintainer would add new information into this "static" tree. Note that "static" means "never goes away"; it does not mean "can't be updated" - quite the opposite. Knowledge base may be another name, and perhaps a better name for this collection.
  • A small number of threads that would work along the line of the existing "I am new here but have a question thread". Here, questions would be asked, and got answered by either (a) Pointing where to look in the static set above, or (b) Answered on the spot, then updating the knowledge base.

It would take some work but perhaps not that much. I have already collected a lot of information for my own use. I have organized it into about two dozen documents such as Car_Does_Not_Start, Coils_and_ignition, MAF, IACV, Front_Suspension, etc., etc. ... you get the point.

So, yes, it would take some work - mainly more discipline and organization. If we could get a place allocated for this knowledge base, I could start posting my stuff to it right away. One thing is essential: Unlike the existing sticky threads, this new knowledge base thing MUST NEVER go AWAY !!!