Feedback/Suggestions Let us know what you like about Maxima.org, its forums, or let us know what suggestions you may have! DO NOT POST YOUR CAR QUESTIONS HERE.

The search function is garbage.

Old 03-31-2014, 04:14 PM

The search function is garbage.

The mobile site used to produce useful search results, but now that it has been "upgraded" it produces the same useless results as the desktop version. The search function here is broken or something. It produces results that are completely unusable, then we turn around and constantly flame people for not searching. One of these two things should change. I am an avid searcher, and I can't produce any useful information about bent valves. You can't tell me there has never been a thread made about it.

Last edited by Chad_m; 03-31-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:57 PM
Moderator GT-R

Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by bluemaxx View Post
Don't try to make me look like the a** here. There's a search bar at the top. If it doesn't work correctly and you want me to use Google, then get rid of it. Don't supply a tool and get upset when I use it. I'm merely giving feedback like the title said.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 PM

I can't speak for the Mobile version, but the best results are produced on the desktop by either using the advanced search function and sorting by relevancy or using the method bluemaxx mentioned when keywords are too short for the forum.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Chad_m View Post
Don't try to make me look like the a** here. There's a search bar at the top. If it doesn't work correctly and you want me to use Google, then get rid of it. Don't supply a tool and get upset when I use it. I'm merely giving feedback like the title said.
I too am unable to comment on the mobile version but based your complaints related to the desktop, you apparently have no idea how to perform a database query or how those queries work.

This forum's search function works just fine and no differently than any other forum you might frequent ... they all require a little work on your part as none will spoon feed to you your specific informational want.

Also, instead of jumping in with a whole bunch of critiques, complaints and bi*ching, perhaps you might want to simply ask for some tips and assistance in the use of the search feature ... mobile or otherwise. That tact may well have avoided any perceived smarta*s replies and you in turn having gotten pissed off because you received a smarta*s reply.

Last edited by Turbobink; 04-03-2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:46 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Turbobink View Post
I too am unable to comment on the mobile version but based your complaints related to the desktop, you apparently have no idea how to perform a database query or how those queries work.

This forum's search function works just fine and no differently than any other forum you might frequent ... they all require a little work on your part as none will spoon feed to you your specific informational want.

Also, instead of jumping in with a whole bunch of critiques, complaints and bi*ching, perhaps you might want to simply ask for some tips and assistance in the use of the search feature ... mobile or otherwise. That tact may well have avoided any perceived smarta*s replies and you in turn having gotten pissed off because you received a smarta*s reply.
thank you
Old 04-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Chad_m View Post
The mobile site used to produce useful search results, but now that it has been "upgraded" it produces the same useless results as the desktop version. The search function here is broken or something. It produces results that are completely unusable, then we turn around and constantly flame people for not searching. One of these two things should change. I am an avid searcher, and I can't produce any useful information about bent valves. You can't tell me there has never been a thread made about it.
i don't have any issues searching for posts with bent valves mentioned...
http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?searchid=3112474

what are you doing wrong that you can't get the results that you want?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Moderator GT-R

Google spent years and billion$ perfecting the art of Internet searching.

It's your choice: Practice your Google foo or toil in misery and disappointment.

If you have an urgent need to search while your tin foil hat is at the dry cleaners: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bent%20val...a.org&kl=us-en
Old 04-03-2014, 08:48 AM

^ finally I see someone else using duck duck go.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Got Retrofit?

My friend made this a long time ago. Mute the volume on your device (I don't care for the song) and learn. It really is simple.

Maybe this should be stickied
Old 04-16-2014, 08:25 AM

ChrisMan's video should be stickied. Until I figured out how to use the advanced search, the search function seemed pretty useless.

But I did see the advanced label and tried it. Having this video stickied for the less adventurous would help.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

it's not just chad...

I guess I'll go try "advanced search" and see if that works. The basic search does not prove useful results.

As for not knowing how to perform a database query - wtf - are you serious? We're in a forum, not in front of an oracle database staring at the sql> prompt. That "Search forum" thing is there to be simple to use. It simply does not produce useful results.