Go Back  Maxima Forums > Maxima.org > Feedback/Suggestions
Reload this Page >

Ten Minutes posting a new thread and I'm timed out? Everything Lost

Feedback/Suggestions Let us know what you like about Maxima.org, its forums, or let us know what suggestions you may have! DO NOT POST YOUR CAR QUESTIONS HERE.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:42 PM

I've been on forums for YEARS and never that fast and never lost as it prompts me as I move forward and sign in again.

Somebody tell me I'm supposed to be OK with this crap? Or maybe this should be addressed and fixed. This is a highly informative forum with lots of details and the posters get punished for it?

Somebody needs to think this through!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:16 PM

I've never had this problem with the mobile app luckily.
Sounds like a PITA.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:42 PM

I've spent hours on a reply, taking a break for dinner, and never been timed out. Maybe an ISP problem?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by asand1 View Post
I've spent hours on a reply, taking a break for dinner, and never been timed out. Maybe an ISP problem?
I use Firefox and it wipes everything when I close it. Nothing gets saved. All the other Forums I frequent have ways of giving way more time. And more importantly, when hitting "Preview" or "Submit Reply" if I timed out, to log in again with nothing lost. NOT HERE THOUGH.

Happened again tonight! I'm DONE!
Old 11-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

So if you get timed out, and you hit the back button, your reply isn't there waiting to be submitted again?
Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 PM

NOPE! The Log in page only over and over. It wouldn't go back. And when I logged in, Right to a BLANK place to post. Everything I wrote was gone!

If this was before 2010, I could maybe understand, but Vbulletin has brought this forward. I guess the upgrades cost too much or the development people aren't doing a good job at getting all the value from the App.

Maybe other people don't value their time. I DO!

Somebody needs to have a talk with the Administrator/Owner. If they aren't up to speed on the full capabilities, They can look at DIYAudio.com or MyLesPaul.com or Vanderbilly.com and contact the people in the know there. Or the Technical Sales department @ VBulletin.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:28 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

when you log in...do you check the box that says "Remember me"?

before you lay blame on the forum...could it be your ISP?
or maybe that you didn't check the remember me box...and as you're typing in an extremely long response and it timed you out?
the only time that it would go to the log in page over and over is when you don't have the remember me turned on.

Last edited by DanNY; 11-23-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:02 PM

You're right.... I never check that box.

Why? Because I never had to in the other forums I frequent. And if I get distracted in those forums or go really (really) long winded and time out with any post, logging in always gets me to everything I wrote again.

Not HERE though. This is the only place that it's happened to me in years. This has nothing to do with an ISP. ISP's are supposed to be transparent and the experience is supposed to be the same through all of them. Each doesn't season the packets to their liking differently.

The difference is in how VBulletin is set up here at Maxima.org. Once someone times out and clicks anything without right clicking and copying everything first, IT'S GONE. Gone Gone Gone! No moving back.... Logging in doesn't get us there. GONE!

That's an install/update/management overlook in VBulletin.

I understand the need to protect your hangout website, but knowing the weaknesses and pushing to have them improved will retain more high quality forum members that bring useful content. The people who pay attention to details about cars don't have patience for websites that don't pay attention to the user experience and in turn punishes the ones bringing detail.

If Maxima.org doesn't want to extend the timeout length, at least make it so the post content is recoverable by clicking "Back" or Logging In. Expecting this is not unreasonable. In fact, not offering it is what's unreasonable for a website that needs details for a better user experience and DIY car repair members to be successful at their own repairs and mods.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:08 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by KP11520 View Post
You're right.... I never check that box.

Why? Because I never had to in the other forums I frequent. And if I get distracted in those forums or go really (really) long winded and time out with any post, logging in always gets me to everything I wrote again.

Not HERE though. This is the only place that it's happened to me in years. This has nothing to do with an ISP. ISP's are supposed to be transparent and the experience is supposed to be the same through all of them. Each doesn't season the packets to their liking differently.

The difference is in how VBulletin is set up here at Maxima.org. Once someone times out and clicks anything without right clicking and copying everything first, IT'S GONE. Gone Gone Gone! No moving back.... Logging in doesn't get us there. GONE!

That's an install/update/management overlook in VBulletin.

I understand the need to protect your hangout website, but knowing the weaknesses and pushing to have them improved will retain more high quality forum members that bring useful content. The people who pay attention to details about cars don't have patience for websites that don't pay attention to the user experience and in turn punishes the ones bringing detail.

If Maxima.org doesn't want to extend the timeout length, at least make it so the post content is recoverable by clicking "Back" or Logging In. Expecting this is not unreasonable. In fact, not offering it is what's unreasonable for a website that needs details for a better user experience and DIY car repair members to be successful at their own repairs and mods.
i really don't understand your rant here. clearly it's your own fault for not checking the remember me box. it's presented to you in plain English right next to your log in credentials.

you're right...it's not the ISP...it's you as the user that failed to click on the box and you lost your long winded post.

the software is doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing...nothing more..nothing less. you control the software...you decide if you want to stay logged in. yes there is a time out interval but you were aware of that upon log in when you do not check the box.

tell me...how secure is a website when you already timed out your session but when you click back it will bring back your information and keep you logged in? if you were on a banking website and the site timed out...clicking back would keep you logged in? how is that secure?? (right i know this is not as critical as a banking website).

so at this point we identified the issue....let's move on..shall we?
Thanks!
Old 11-24-2014, 09:06 AM

Thanks Dan!

Just happened again. Damn. I'm not writing it all again.

Anyway, is there any way when timing out and then logging in, the text can be retained without it bringing any downside issues to Maxima.org?

That's it in a nutshell. If it brings issues and can't be done, I understand. Please just know, I'm with you on trying to make this forum experience the best it can be.

Can't blame a guy for tryin'.

Now, I have to beat myself until I learn to click that BOX!

Thanks for responding and also for understanding!

Rock on!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by KP11520 View Post
Thanks Dan!

Just happened again. Damn. I'm not writing it all again.

Anyway, is there any way when timing out and then logging in, the text can be retained without it bringing any downside issues to Maxima.org?

That's it in a nutshell. If it brings issues and can't be done, I understand. Please just know, I'm with you on trying to make this forum experience the best it can be.

Can't blame a guy for tryin'.

Now, I have to beat myself until I learn to click that BOX!

Thanks for responding and also for understanding!

Rock on!
with issues with spammers and people's accounts getting hacked and stuff in the past we had to invoke a few security measures.

keeps your post in cache is a little difficult when you don't stay logged in. usually most type out a sentence or two and call it the day. this type of usage will keep the user logged in. it's the rare cases where you type a long message and the software assume you're idle (because you're not making calls to the server/DB)..that's where it times you out.

just check the box once...you'll never have to do it again or worry about timing out (until you clear your cookies/etc).

IF...you think you timed out and got a long post...highlight it and copy it...then click submit. if you time out you can try again and paste what you copied in your clipboard.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:04 PM

i get timed out very fast as well, about 5 mins. however, since i know it does at this desk computer i just copy the text when i'm done, hit submit, login again and paste into the fresh new box.

the first few times was no big deal either i just pressed back twice fast and it would take me passed the login and expired page and my msg would still be there. then i repeat the same copy n paste thing. its not that bad at all./
Old 07-31-2016, 09:26 PM

Hey Dan,

I see you've made it better and when getting timed out, can log right in again and the post is still there, waiting to be previewed or submitted!

VERY COOL!

Thanks for making our experiences even better!