Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

1st oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 03:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Virus
Overpriced? You've purchased a 25k+ car and your worried about an extra couple of bucks an oil change? If your so worried about the money, why not use extended drain intervals? You'll recapture that precious few dollars and actually save a few more
S'up Vyrus, I assume you were referring to me. Check out my data in Bill's spreadsheet and you'll see that right now I CAN'T go extended drain intervals. I'm having some serious bearing related wear in my VQ so I'm sticking with 3700 mile max intervals until the wear is rectified or the VQ goes boom. For my situation it truly is not cost effective to go with the Amsoil filter.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:07 PM

Understood and I apologize.
Old 08-04-2002, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Virus
Understood and I apologize.
Thanks bud, no harm no foul...you were only suggesting the truth....I just wish my freakin engine was in good enough shape that I COULD go for extended intervals.... Now I find myself hoping it goes kaboom before the damn powertrain warranty is up; either that or the wear levels mysteriously return to normal.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:04 PM

I have a couple more questions, hopefully some1 can answer for me. Im using mobil 1 synthetic oil is it ok to use the nissan oem filter, since i dont change my oil usually until after 6 months or 7500 miles, cuz i suppose oem filters r meant to be used for 3 months or 3000 miles only. Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different sizes of filter ?? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:43 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by iwannabmw
I did, I ordered the SDF36

Still, they're pricey.......

Even considering that with extended drain intervals you would still have to replace the STP more frequently?
I guess I'll be the guinea pig to find out. The top bypass valve design and cheaper cost still win me to getting something more easily available. I'll probably never switch from Amsoil oil, though.

STP supposedly makes the S2849A filter which is basically identical to the S6941 and it's only $3, but I can't find them anywhere. Damn VQs.....

I'm now considering going with 4 month oil filter intervals. I've also considered getting the Wally-world SuperTech S6607 filter and changing it every 2 months. Over a year that would come to a grand total of $12.
Old 08-05-2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by Max2K
I have a couple more questions, hopefully some1 can answer for me. Im using mobil 1 synthetic oil is it ok to use the nissan oem filter, since i dont change my oil usually until after 6 months or 7500 miles, cuz i suppose oem filters r meant to be used for 3 months or 3000 miles only. Also what are the advantages and disadvantages of the different sizes of filter ?? Thanks.
Oversized filter = Longer lasting due to increased filtration area

OEM Nissan filters have proved themselves to go 7500 miles, but it is dependent on driving conditions. Based on actual real world data, you should be fine.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:47 PM

i got 10w30 in my car. so it should be str8
Old 08-23-2002, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Oversized filter = Longer lasting due to increased filtration area

OEM Nissan filters have proved themselves to go 7500 miles, but it is dependent on driving conditions. Based on actual real world data, you should be fine.
Sorry to bring this one up again

Mr. Bill
since you are the expert.. please help
I will be doing my oil change soon, and I have made up my mind with the amsoil 5w-30 and I will goes with long drain interval (7.5K, since you were saying that STP s6941 has a better deal compare to SDF 36. Can the STP to be use safely for 7.5k drain interval?
yes I have not done any oil analysis yet, and I do have 38k on the car and I switch to synthetic back when the car has about 8k on it.
I currently use mobil 1 5w-30 just swittch from 10w-30 on last oil change with oem filter.

any opinions?

EU
Old 08-23-2002, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by exunaja

Sorry to bring this one up again

Mr. Bill
since you are the expert.. please help

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm more of an informed reporter than an expert.

I will be doing my oil change soon, and I have made up my mind with the amsoil 5w-30 and I will goes with long drain interval (7.5K, since you were saying that STP s6941 has a better deal compare to SDF 36. Can the STP to be use safely for 7.5k drain interval?

Hmmmm.....the best answer is we don't know. I have one person who is successfully using the S6941 filter with the sole issue being that the end of it does rub against the splash guard that protects the drive belts, etc.

It's a relatively new find, so not many have tried it out. I have another suggestion if you would like to be an "experimenter" that only costs $3 and is shorter than the S6941 and will eliminate that issue. E-mail me for more details If you are interested in seeing if this one will officially work. I don't want to reveal the info here so that I won't get blamed later for issues.

Optimally, I would change an STP filter every 3 months/3-4,000 miles when doing the extended drain thing. That would mean you would change the filter once in the 7500 mile interval.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:42 PM

Thanks for the compliment, but I'm more of an informed reporter than an expert.

[/B]

Hmmmm.....the best answer is we don't know. I have one person who is successfully using the S6941 filter with the sole issue being that the end of it does rub against the splash guard that protects the drive belts, etc.

It's a relatively new find, so not many have tried it out. I have another suggestion if you would like to be an "experimenter" that only costs $3 and is shorter than the S6941 and will eliminate that issue. E-mail me for more details If you are interested in seeing if this one will officially work. I don't want to reveal the info here so that I won't get blamed later for issues.

Optimally, I would change an STP filter every 3 months/3-4,000 miles when doing the extended drain thing. That would mean you would change the filter once in the 7500 mile interval. [/B]
you got Mail
Old 08-29-2002, 10:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

STP S6941 $6.99 at Auto Zone

It's about an inch or so longer than the OEM or other OEM replacement filters, and has a top bypass valve design, and is cheaper and made on the same assembly line as the $12 Mobil 1 filters. It will tend to last longer and filter better over a longer drain interval than standard size OEM filters.

[/B]
I am still looking for a local retailer of the stp filter

was autozone the only place that you found it at??? or do I need to paypal you some money to buy one for me???
Old 08-29-2002, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by ms.thicknes

I am still looking for a local retailer of the stp filter

was autozone the only place that you found it at??? or do I need to paypal you some money to buy one for me???
AutoZone should have it. They are the only ones I'm aware of that carry STP filters. In a previous life, they were called Deutsch filters.

If you're in a pinch, just don't buy Fram. If you feel like experimenting, drop me a PM and I'll give you other suggestions.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:18 AM

If you're in a pinch, just don't buy Fram. If you feel like experimenting, drop me a PM and I'll give you other suggestions.
Stop keeping secrets Bill, are you talking oil....or are you wanting to experiment with Ms. Thickness
Old 08-29-2002, 11:41 AM

Re: 1st oil change

Originally posted by slickrick
what exact type of oil should i put in for the 3750miles oil change? what do u guys recommend?
Personally, I don't think there's ANY DIFFERENCE in the oil you use. I say you just go to WalMart and get that 59-cent oil. It's pretty good stuff! Sometimes they run a sale for 6 qts for $3.00. I'm sure it's very high quality oil, much like the top synthetic brands.

Now ya know!

->

->

->

Man, I'm just kidding! I just wanted to throw a little humor on a topic that's been beaten into the ground!

Seriously, Mobile-1 is the way to go. I personally use the OEM filter, since the Mobile-1 filter is like 13-14 bucks! The STP filter sounds pretty good too. But, you have to go synthetic as soon as possible!
Old 08-29-2002, 11:58 AM

Re: Re: 1st oil change

Originally posted by CHAZMAX
Seriously, Mobile-1 is the way to go. I personally use the OEM filter, since the Mobile-1 filter is like 13-14 bucks! The STP filter sounds pretty good too. But, you have to go synthetic as soon as possible!

VQ engines take a while to break in. I personally wouldn't go with a synthetic until 10k or so on a VQ.

And to the rest of your comments.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever
Stop keeping secrets Bill, are you talking oil....or are you wanting to experiment with Ms. Thickness

I'm married.

Perhaps I should re-state: I'm married and take my vows seriously.
Old 08-29-2002, 07:42 PM

Oil viscosity descibed in more detail. A previous poster put it in a nut shell but FYI in case you're interested. I like AMSOIL products so far. I use them in my '78 Goldwing and have used them in various cars and trucks when there is no leak or worn parts already. I'm just joining this group with my purchase of a '00 SE and look forward to getting much more info from this site. Cheers!
www.autoeducation.com/autoshop101/oil-change.htm