Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

K&N oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

K&N oil filters

I was wondering if anyone has tried the K&N oil filters or heard good or bad things about it. They are the same price as the Mobil 1. I was wondering about the quality and the materials. If any one has used or heard anything about them could you post some info. Thanks
Old 09-18-2002, 08:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: K&N oil filters

Originally posted by kb2k1se
I was wondering if anyone has tried the K&N oil filters or heard good or bad things about it. They are the same price as the Mobil 1. I was wondering about the quality and the materials. If any one has used or heard anything about them could you post some info. Thanks
Yes, i ordered a combo special from K&N (Air and Oil filter). The good thing is that you don't need a special oil filter wrench to tighten it. The end of the K&N filter is easily tightened with an adjustable wrench.This is what they say about it..

The K&N oil filter's efficiency rating meets or exceeds the requirements of high performance automotive engine builders. The heavy-duty construction provides over 550PSI hydrostatic burst, and helps reduce the risk of rock and stone damage.
The real quality isn't just on the outside...the inner filter element traps contaminants as small as 10 to 20 microns in size. We use metal top caps instead of paper to ensure that no unfiltered oil can get back into the system. The solid construction allows for oil flow rates between 12-16 gpm (depending on size of filter), and is unaffected by racing fuels.
All K&N Performance Gold Oil Filters are manufactured to exacting engineering standards. They are covered by a limited warranty to be free from defects in materials and workmanship when installed and replaced using engine and equipment manufactures recommended service manual.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:26 AM

Re: K&N oil filters

K&N? neverheard of'em.

you should really try a search next time.

but to answer your question.....K&N makes high quality filters.
Arguably, the best.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: K&N oil filters

Originally posted by acMAX

K&N? neverheard of'em.

Arguably, the best.
I understand everyone's point when it comes to searching for what your looking for, but if everyone just did searches this would be a boring forum. Even if this has been posted before, some people who are new to the forum gain their knowledge just by reading posts all day. How many newb's actually know their **** and what to look for?

Half the people type in "use the search link" just to get a post %'s up.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by acMAX

K&N? neverheard of'em.

Arguably, the best.

Thanks, I tried the search before I posted. All I got was non K&N oil filters or K&N air filters.
Oh, and great joke with the K&N.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:52 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Re: Re: Re: K&N oil filters

Thanks, I tried the search before I posted. All I got was non K&N oil filters or K&N air filters.
Oh, and great joke with the K&N.
Thanks for the help.
Yeah, K&N searches here are rather tedious, ESPECIALLY when looking for oil filter information.

K&Ns primary difference from Mobil 1 is their filter media. If I was spending $10+ on a filter, I would just buy a Mobil 1, which has the same efficiency and yet a 10 micron media filtration reading as opposed to the arbitrary 10 to 20 micron reading K&N specs.

One main advantage of K&N filters over others is their hex nut at the end of the filter, which can be good for those impossible filter locations. That's simply not the case on the VQ.

For $5.50 or so, a Bosch 3323 will do just as good of a job from a filtration and efficiency standpoint (it is rated at 15 microns according to Champion Labs) as a K&N.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:20 AM
ABS

From my own research, I have determined that the K&N is manufactured in the same plant as the Mobil 1. The differences, besides the nut on the end of the filter, primarily pertain to the filter media. Both media are very similar, but one provides slightly better filtration whereas the other provides slightly better flow. The K&N was described as being better for racing because of its higher flow rates, whereas the Mobil 1 was described as being better for removing finer particles/dirt from the oil. Either way, these filters are both probably within the top 5 on the market (I don't know what the other top three are, but possibly a NAPA Gold, Amsoil, etc.). If you are not racing and are most concerned about actual filtering capability, your best bet might be the Mobil 1.
Old 09-18-2002, 09:42 AM
ABS

Re: Re: Re: Re: K&N oil filters

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Yeah, K&N searches here are rather tedious, ESPECIALLY when looking for oil filter information.

K&Ns primary difference from Mobil 1 is their filter media. If I was spending $10+ on a filter, I would just buy a Mobil 1, which has the same efficiency and yet a 10 micron media filtration reading as opposed to the arbitrary 10 to 20 micron reading K&N specs.

One main advantage of K&N filters over others is their hex nut at the end of the filter, which can be good for those impossible filter locations. That's simply not the case on the VQ.

For $5.50 or so, a Bosch 3323 will do just as good of a job from a filtration and efficiency standpoint (it is rated at 15 microns according to Champion Labs) as a K&N.
Bill,

What are is your current recommendation for filters for 5th gen? Could you provide a list of your top picks for the following scenarios:

1. Low cost, good performance, like stock filter (could be Nissan OEM).
2. Low or moderate cost, oversized, good performance, like stock filter (don't know what this could be).
3. Moderate or high cost, oversized or high performance, better than stock filter(Mobil 1, Amsoil, K&N, etc.).

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2002, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by SupaFly

Half the people type in "use the search link" just to get a post %'s up.
i answered the question did i not?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the help.
your welcome
Old 09-18-2002, 11:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: K&N oil filters

Originally posted by ABS

Bill,

What are is your current recommendation for filters for 5th gen? Could you provide a list of your top picks for the following scenarios:

1. Low cost, good performance, like stock filter (could be Nissan OEM).
2. Low or moderate cost, oversized, good performance, like stock filter (don't know what this could be).
3. Moderate or high cost, oversized or high performance, better than stock filter(Mobil 1, Amsoil, K&N, etc.).

Thanks!
STP S6941 - $7, oversized; perfect for extending drain intervals
Nissan OEM $5
Mobil 1 M1-110 $12; overpriced in my opinion-OEM sized

I don't recommend any Amsoil filters due to their high cost.

That's all for now. I'll most likely add a Bosch one in there as well, but I just have to go look at the 3 that can work on the VQ in person and choose the one I like best.

And I'll make a fairly big comprehensive list in the future of what can go on the VQs.....
Old 09-18-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by SupaFly

Yes, i ordered a combo special from K&N (Air and Oil filter). The good thing is that you don't need a special oil filter wrench to tighten it. The end of the K&N filter is easily tightened with an adjustable wrench.
Oil filter wrenches should ONLY be used to loosen the filter -- never to tighten it. You should always hand tighten your oil filter. That's one of the reasons the threads are so close together.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by kirzan

Oil filter wrenches should ONLY be used to loosen the filter -- never to tighten it. You should always hand tighten your oil filter. That's one of the reasons the threads are so close together.
You're right. typo
Old 09-18-2002, 02:08 PM
ABS

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: K&N oil filters

Originally posted by bill99gxe

STP S6941 - $7, oversized; perfect for extending drain intervals
Nissan OEM $5
Mobil 1 M1-110 $12; overpriced in my opinion-OEM sized

I don't recommend any Amsoil filters due to their high cost.

That's all for now. I'll most likely add a Bosch one in there as well, but I just have to go look at the 3 that can work on the VQ in person and choose the one I like best.

And I'll make a fairly big comprehensive list in the future of what can go on the VQs.....
Bill,

Thanks for the info. I think this may have been discussed before, but how does the filter media capability and the pressure relief valve of the STP compare to the OEM?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-18-2002, 03:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: K&N oil filters

Originally posted by ABS

Bill,

Thanks for the info. I think this may have been discussed before, but how does the filter media capability and the pressure relief valve of the STP compare to the OEM?

Thanks in advance!

Relief valve on the STP is a bit higher (upper teens compared to 14psi for OEM), but filter area appears much greater. I personally don't consider a slightly higher bypass valve pressure an issue, but that's a never-ending debate. Some other acceptable filter cross references have 8 to 10 psi ratings, which I am uncomfortable with, especially when going 5k or so on a single filter. The chance to go into bypass would be greater and not worth the risk to me.

STP filters at 20 microns with a 98/94 first and multi-pass efficiency (something in that area). TYPICALLY, OEM filters are 20 to 25 microns of filtration at optimal efficiency. I would imagine since Nissan OEMs are Dahle filters, 20 microns is probably accurate. I have no clue what the actual single and multi-pass efficiency ratings are on the Nissan OEMs, but have little doubt it would be in the upper/mid 90s as well.

Those micron ratings are at what the manufacturers term "optimal" efficiency, which really means 50% in the real world.
Old 09-18-2002, 04:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all the good info. I appreciate all the help.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by kb2k1se
K+N Oil filters used to be made by the company I work for in Albion, IL. We also make all of Mobil 1 oil filters currently. In a cost saving move, K+N dumbed down the filter media and sent the production to Korea. K+N oil filter products are now made in Korea with less efficiency that they had when made in USA.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by SupaFly
Yes, i ordered a combo special from K&N (Air and Oil filter). The good thing is that you don't need a special oil filter wrench to tighten it. The end of the K&N filter is easily tightened with an adjustable wrench.This is what they say about it..

The K&N oil filter's efficiency rating meets or exceeds the requirements of high performance automotive engine builders. The heavy-duty construction provides over 550PSI hydrostatic burst, and helps reduce the risk of rock and stone damage.
The real quality isn't just on the outside...the inner filter element traps contaminants as small as 10 to 20 microns in size. We use metal top caps instead of paper to ensure that no unfiltered oil can get back into the system. The solid construction allows for oil flow rates between 12-16 gpm (depending on size of filter), and is unaffected by racing fuels.
All K&N Performance Gold Oil Filters are manufactured to exacting engineering standards. They are covered by a limited warranty to be free from defects in materials and workmanship when installed and replaced using engine and equipment manufactures recommended service manual.
You are aware that K+N has cheapened up their filter and sent production to Korea. It is not the same as it used to be. USA production ended in September. I work for the company that used to manufacture K+N filters in Albion, IL.