Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Extreme noob question (easy points)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Extreme noob question (easy points)

Ok so.. found the thread I needed, but my questions are too noob'd, they were not even addressed.

Maxima 2002 SE .. been smelling plasticy burny type stuff from my car for a while, especially when pushing it. The other day after I got home I noticed my engine was hissing and emitting what I would describe as a fine grey/whitish mist from under the hood. I opened my hood and it sounded almost like .. fizzing. Like the inside of a freshly cracked soda can if you put your ear up to it. The grey mist stopped long before the hissing. I opened my "coolant" thing and saw nothing inside, just a few remnants of blue drops inside the reservoir, and at that point I assumed I was out of coolant and my car had begun to overheat?

Haven't started up my car since then, and I feel like the next time I start it up I'm going to need a game plan ... so herein is where I require the help.

I just called mr. lube and they're talking 129 for a rad flush, and apparently a jug of the coolant I need is about 30 bucks. That's quite a difference. I dont want to spend 129 if I dont need to, but I also dont want to do this wrong and put coolant in without flushing unless I'm supposed to and I could harm my car .. or whatever.

So, my questions are,

a) Do you experts feel as though I'm on the right track with my diagnosis?
b) If so, then what are my options? Can I just get a jug of coolant and dump it in? Or does my rad require flushing?

plz help .. for the cars sake.
thx
Old 03-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Start with water (preferably distilled) until you figure out where the coolant is going or you'll just be wasting money on more coolant.

Once you find the leak, get a gallon of coolant (I prefer Toyota long life) and do the flush yourself. Maybe an hour and half at most.

1. buy distilled water (8-10 gallons), coolant catch pan, and coolant
2. drain coolant (the plug is at the bottom of the radiator and easy to get to)
3. replace plug
4. top off radiator with water
5. run car to operation temp (to open the thermostat) and turn heat on high (to flush heater core)
6. let car cool
7. drain radiator
8. fill radiator with water
9. repeat 5-7 until the water is clear
10. fill radiator with new coolant and water
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

You're awesome, thanks man