Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Royal Purple oil?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:34 AM

Royal Purple oil?

Was in NAPA getting my emissions done and saw a flier for this oil. Anybody ever heard of it? My supervisor said it's pretty good but I don't trust him completely.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:46 PM

You cant go wrong with any of the Royal Purple products, especially the oil.....I've used it for 3 years now and wouldnt have it any other way.

Check ebay, as I get it for 5.99 a quart, on there (including free shipping).
Old 08-26-2007, 04:07 PM
VQ Wizard

Check the Oil analysis forum and the one on my350z.com

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258663

Royal Purple isn't producing great results.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:14 PM

Royal Purple breaks down pretty fast, so if you run it make sure to stick with a ~3k mile OCI. Some have claimed that it will free up some horsepower but I'm skeptical to say the least...
Old 08-26-2007, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
Check the Oil analysis forum and the one on my350z.com

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258663

Royal Purple isn't producing great results.

Its based off one result.......How can you really say either way?

Originally Posted by Resolute
Royal Purple 5W-30- High wear numbers and high shear. However, I only have been sent one UOA on this oil so it is not an average result.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Royal Purple breaks down pretty fast, so if you run it make sure to stick with a ~3k mile OCI.
Im sort of old school, I guess.....Im not one for running oil changes past the 3500-4k mile intervals.

As for the viscosity breaking down, for me, it has always come out quite clean everytime I've changed my oil.

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Some have claimed that it will free up some horsepower but I'm skeptical to say the least...
This is true, ask any of the "big wigs" who run down @ the track, on a weekly basis.......they all use Royal Purple and nothin else.

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/royalpurple/dyno.html

http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/whyrpa.html

Its the Synerlec that seperates Royal Purple, from any other conventional motor oil.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:26 AM

Without test results from multiple independent sources, Royal Purple is just hype. Why would you want to be a guinea pig when there are multiple choices for synthetic oil that have proven results, i.e. Amsoil and Redline.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by bladerunr
Without test results from multiple independent sources, Royal Purple is just hype.
http://www.autopressreleases.com/roy...nt%20Tests.pdf

Independent studies done by Oklahoma State University, North Carolina State University, respectively, and a another independent dyno included.

Why would you want to be a guinea pig when there are multiple choices for synthetic oil that have proven results, i.e. Amsoil and Redline.
A guinea pig?

Royal Purple has been around for over 40 years.

Why would you want to be a guinea pig when there are multiple choices for synthetic oil that have proven results, i.e. Amsoil and Redline.
Results for Amsoil arent much better....(for the weight what most of us use, 5w-30)

Originally Posted by resolute
Amsoil ASL 5W-30- It's a decent oil, but it has consistantly shown high lead wear and the TSO 0W-30 has performed better with more mileage on it between oil changes. If you like Amsoil, then get the better performing TSO for the same money.

Its really all a matter of preference and opinion, though.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM
VQ Wizard

http://www.oil-shop-uk.co.uk/acatalo...urple_Oil.html

"Royal Purples History

Royal Purple was founded in 1986
, but its roots go back much further. Founder John Williams was a pioneer in developing synthetic lubricants as far back as the 1940s and 1950s. He used his expertise in chemical engineering to found two other successful lubricant companies prior to founding Royal Purple."

2007-1986= 11 years.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by MaximumPower01

This is true, ask any of the "big wigs" who run down @ the track, on a weekly basis.......they all use Royal Purple and nothin else.
At your logic here. So your saying that big buck race teams, who get paid to use Royal Purple, and can afford to tear down engines after each race, they use royal purple, so that makes it a good oil? Nice argument.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:30 AM

2007-1986= 11 years.
...you're kidding, right?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:37 AM
absoundlab

I use peanut oil

Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

LOL but it's still less than 40

"Royal Purples History

, but its roots go back much further. Founder John Williams was a pioneer in developing synthetic lubricants as far back as the 1940s and 1950s. He used his expertise in chemical engineering to found two other successful lubricant companies prior to founding Royal Purple."

2007-1986= 11 years.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:15 PM

"Royal Purples History

, but its roots go back much further. Founder John Williams was a pioneer in developing synthetic lubricants as far back as the 1940s and 1950s. He used his expertise in chemical engineering to found two other successful lubricant companies prior to founding Royal Purple.":
I was speaking in terms of the founder, as you stated, John Williams....but yes, you are correct, "Royal Purple" was founded in 1986.

The only reason I brought it up in the first place was in regards to this statement, made by bladerunr.......

As we now know, RP has been around long enough to bypass the "guinea pig" theory.

2007-1986= 11 years.
11 years?

We'll just call this a typo, lol, (jk man, I know what you meant)
Old 08-29-2007, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by mtrai760
So your saying that big buck race teams, who get paid to use Royal Purple, and can afford to tear down engines after each race, they use royal purple, so that makes it a good oil? Nice argument.

I guess you missed everything else that's been posted......

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-w-6686-miles/

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

Im sure you have alot of reading to do now....

Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
I'm needing a caw

Racing teams use it because it gives them short term reduction in friction. They also rebuild their engines after every race and use new oil every time.

Go ahead and use RP if you think that type of serive suits you.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

No, not really. I've been a member of BITOG for a few years now, won't waste my time with your propaganda postings. The actually only back up what I was saying, so good job.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:36 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Racing teams use it because it gives them short term reduction in friction. They also rebuild their engines after every race and use new oil every time.

Go ahead and use RP if you think that type of serive suits you.
EXACTLY. I could put 5w20 in my engine and make more power too, that doesn't mean my engine is going to last as long.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:03 PM

I won't waste my time with your propaganda postings..
So you wont waste your time reading the links....and stating a formal conclusion, without being bias.

They actually only back up what I was saying, so good job.
But then you turn around in the same sentence and say they actually back up what you were saying?

That makes sense.......

Anyways, please show me where the links I provided "actually back up what you say", cause so far the only thing you've actually stated was this:

So your saying that big buck race teams, who get paid to use Royal Purple, and can afford to tear down engines after each race, they use royal purple, so that makes it a good oil? Nice argument
^
^
^
Again, more assumptions on your part (based solely off your opinion):

1.) Not all "big buck" race teams get paid to use Royal Purple.
2.) Not all "big buck" race teams tear down there engines after each race.
3.) Never did I state my argument was solely based off "good reviews" from "big buck" racers, it was just additional information, (which is true)
Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 PM

I could put 5w20 in my engine and make more power
Putting RP 5w20 doesnt neccessarily "make more power", like you stated, it free's it up.....

that doesn't mean my engine is going to last as long.
lol, how do you know?

Show me a study or example where Royal Purple shortens the life of an engine?

Ridiculous.

Edit: (Im @ 120k, never burn a drop of oil, and it always comes out nice & clean)

Re-Edit: (This looks like a good time for a RP UOA & OCI study.....)
Old 08-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Uhh, okay. List WINNING race teams that don't? and I wouldn't count any F1 teams, seeing as they spend, on average, 4-5x more than any other race series, plus the fact that they religiously would do full rebuilds until new FIA regulations limited their ability to do so.

Royal Purple has been Dyno'd to "free up" more power, to that I will agree. But, I've never seen superior results in a UOA or in an unbiased test setting to justify anything that would draw me towards their product. start reading up over at BITOG before trying to back up your claims with links to the manufacturers' website. It makes you seem more like you're buying into the hype.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

[QUOTE=MaximumPower01]Putting RP 5w20 doesnt neccessarily "make more power", like you stated, it free's it up.....

QUOTE]

You know what I meant. I base my opinion on the Purple hype from oil analysis done by Dyson labs on multiple different engines. The analysis I have seen showed no benefit over other similiar oils, but did show higher wear levels as evidence of higher metal deposits in the sample. In case you think I'm just a Purple hater, I'll knock Mobil1 for the same thing, now that they have changed there base, they are steadily going down hill. But hey, plenty of people still use there oil and swear by it. The analysis tells a different story though.

Either way, its quite obvious that you are a big fan, good for you. For 3k mile oil changes, oil is pretty much oil, not going to notice a big difference from one to the next. It's when you start going for extended oil changes (7k+ miles) that the base and additive package really start making a difference.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:34 AM
I'm needing a caw

Exactly how does those links support your case in anyway? One wear test? One that's arguably invalid?

A dyno test? Anyone can run THIN oil and get those results. Even oils at the same 30 weight ARE NOT the same viscosity.

You are trying to state your case against two guys that know 10x more about cars than you.

Again run RP if you want. It's not my engine

So you wont waste your time reading the links....and stating a formal conclusion, without being bias.

But then you turn around in the same sentence and say they actually back up what you were saying?

That makes sense.......

Anyways, please show me where the links I provided "actually back up what you say", cause so far the only thing you've actually stated was this:

^
^
^
Again, more assumptions on your part (based solely off your opinion):

1.) Not all "big buck" race teams get paid to use Royal Purple.
3.) Never did I state my argument was solely based off "good reviews" from "big buck" racers, it was just additional information, (which is true)
Old 08-30-2007, 01:25 PM

You are trying to state your case against two guys that know 10x more about cars than you.

So because we're having a conversation about what oils to run, suddenly you two know "10x more about cars than me".

lol, and what assumption do you base this off of?

You have no idea what my level of experience is there slick, you're just guessing....Nice way to hold a mature conversation.

Btw, is your ego really this big, or do you just prefer being an ***?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:28 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

MaximumPower01
Old 08-30-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm needing a caw

I run it off the assumption that you keep trying to defend this POS oil for no other logical thought than the very few questionably valid tests. And the fact that you aren't offering a SHRED of intelligent opinion on the matter.

To top it off, you don't know enough to realize that the guys that were kind enough to reply to you in the beginning KNOW what they are talking about.

But since you brought it up, why don't you tell me what your background in cars is. Since you found it necessary to state they don't have 10x more knowledge yet you don't clarify.

So because we're having a conversation about what oils to run, suddenly you two know "10x more about cars than me".

lol, and what assumption do you base this off of?

You have no idea what my level of experience is there slick, you're just guessing....Nice way to hold a mature conversation.

Btw, is your ego really this big, or do you just prefer being an ***?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:31 PM

For 3k mile oil changes, oil is pretty much oil, not going to notice a big difference from one to the next.
Agreed.

I usually run mine to 3500k intervals, so there's really no need to continue this conversation.

Royal Purple has its benefits, and until proven otherwise, (besides one UOA lab test), I will continue to use it.

As goes for running OCI's to 7k intervals, Im not fallin for the hype, much like your not fallen for the RP hype.......
Old 08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

Royal Purple Info

As you may know, Royal Purple is well known in racing circles. The chemistry they use is something AMSOIL, Inc. chooses not to use. One of our big selling points is extended drain intervals. Some additive chemicals can cause adverse conditions when used for long periods.

Royal Purple uses a different chemistry than most oils. They are one of only a handful of marketers using Molybdenum Disulfide (Moly) in their oil at these higher levels.

Moly is a processed mineral that is similar in appearance to graphite. Moly has good lubricating properties when used either by itself (in dry power form or as an additive to oil or other lubricants). Particles of the Moly can come out of suspension and agglomerate. Over time this can actually clog oil filters or oil lines and the rest normally settles in the bottom of the oil pan. This seems to be more likely when using extended drain intervals. The only test we ran on Royal Purple involved their 20W50 Racing oil versus our AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 20W50 Racing Oil (TRO). We ran two 4 ball wear tests with different parameters, a spectrographic baseline, FTIR scan and volatility tests. The Royal Purple showed a significantly high volatility rate with a 12.51% boil off rate. This compares to the AMSOIL TRO with only a 4.47% volatility rating. Wear scars were also smaller with the TRO. For example the AMSOIL TRO left a .41mm scar and the Royal Purple oil left a .66mm scar. The lower the scare damage number the better! There was also a surprising difference in the viscosity index. The RP has a VI of 129 versus 155 for the TRO. The higher the VI, the better the viscosity stays in place at high temperatures.

Note: This information was provided by AMSOIL, Inc. Tech Department. An independent lab tested the Royal Purple 20W-50 racing oil against the AMSOIL 20W-50 racing oil. The results are posted above. Test results found Moly in the Royal Purple oil sample.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 PM

I run it off the assumption that you keep trying to defend this POS oil for no other logical thought than the very few questionably valid tests. And the fact that you aren't offering a SHRED of intelligent opinion on the matter. :
So you downgrade the testing in front of you, while offering your opinion based off just that.....your opinion?

@ your logic here.

To top it off, you don't know enough to realize that the guys that were kind enough to reply to you in the beginning KNOW what they are talking about. :
I know SR knows what he's talkin about, and I know you know are very intelligent when it comes to Nissan's. It doesnt mean I wont have a conversation pertaining to why?

(and again, SR's link was based off ONE test.....what is so hard to understand?)

Again with your assumptions.

But since you brought it up, why don't you tell me what your background in cars is. Since you found it necessary to state they don't have 10x more knowledge yet you don't clarify.
1.) Im not playin your game anymore, this conversation is over.
2.) Its 4:40 and I have to pick up the wife @ 5pm, perhaps another time.
(i'd rather be in your doghouse than hers......)
Old 08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

Umm just to clarify, SR gave you one test. You gave a bunch of what? One test links. To top it off, the test analysis dealt with issues NOT addressed in your links. (since it has to be crayoned out for you. Long term viablity and additive life is diff than short term hp and wear resistance. Hence racing is not the same as street. Which was the whole point. Which apparently whizzed by your head at Mach 5)

So again, the amount of knowlege you are basing your opinion comes into question
Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

As goes for running OCI's to 7k intervals, Im not fallin for the hype, much like your not fallen for the RP hype.......
7k mile intervals are not hype. What do you think the purpose of oil analysis is? Everyone from the Military to major automotive fleet companies use oil analysis to determine oil change intervals. Thats not hype, thats fact.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:35 AM

Once you go to synthetic oil you never can go back unless you want to screw up your engine.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Divewjason
Once you go to synthetic oil you never can go back unless you want to screw up your engine.

Really? I went from conventional to synthetic and back to conventional and my car never had any problems, no type of leaks neither. I put over 240k on that motor.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Z guru

just a myth^ its just not recommended to go back and forth alot. As with any oil
Old 09-28-2007, 10:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by 300zx32tt91
just a myth^ its just not recommended to go back and forth alot. As with any oil
yet another myth
Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Also, color has NOTHING to do with usefullness of oil. I highly doubt it comes out "clean" as indicated above after 3500 of driving. If so, Id like so see "clean" oil at 3500 miles.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Colonel
Also, color has NOTHING to do with usefullness of oil. I highly doubt it comes out "clean" as indicated above after 3500 of driving. If so, Id like so see "clean" oil at 3500 miles.
I would also like to know how it's possible for oil to come out clean after 3500 miles. I'd also like to know what drugs he's taking.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by Virus
I would also like to know how it's possible for oil to come out clean after 3500 miles. I'd also like to know what drugs he's taking.
LOL, I was thinking that but didnt want to come down to hard.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:46 PM

RP is good stuff for an hefty price.

Good luck baby-sitting ur maxima's w/ these boutique fluids.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

IAs for the viscosity breaking down, for me, it has always come out quite clean everytime I've changed my oil.
Oh, good. It's clean. So, there could be no contaminants at all, or there could be a lot of contaminants and your oil is not picking them up and holding them in suspension like it's supposed to, and you have no way to tell. Cool.

Um. No they don't. You're just as likely to find someone who uses Valvoline, or Red Line, or Motul, or Elf, or Fuchs, or RLI, or Castrol.

Besides, as has been said quite well, racing use is no measure of street use. Different formulas, different usage characteristics, different requirements.

Its the Synerlec that seperates Royal Purple, from any other conventional motor oil.
You mean the stuff that fills in scored and spalled areas and provides protection against point loading, which never occurs anywhere in an engine?

Results for Amsoil arent much better....(for the weight what most of us use, 5w-30)
This was entertaining to read. Thanks for the chuckles.

Okay, let's read the links:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...-w-6686-miles/

That's a relatively modern Toyota engine, and 6700 miles is not a long OCI. Melted butter wouldn't have done much worse.

What's to say other top-shelf synthetics wouldn't have done even better? How did they even control for varying conditions over successive dyno runs? And what the heck does that have to do with wear protection anyway?

That's marketing material that focuses very narrowly on a few isolated aspects of the oil and makes sweeping generalizations. It has absolutely no authority as a source of data.

http://www.animegame.com/cars/Oil%20Tests.pdf

That test is for point loading which, again, never ever ever occurs in an engine except maybe in some valvetrain bits in some cars -- and even in those cases, the forces involved would never overwhelm any of those oils. There is nothing meaningful to be gained from that study except maybe that Royal Purple's engine oil may also be suitable to lubricate roller bearings.

Last edited by d00df00d; 10-06-2007 at 07:30 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Royal Purple oil?