Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Reserve Fuel Capacity 02 SE (U.S.)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:01 AM

Reserve Fuel Capacity 02 SE (U.S.)

Couldn't find this anywhere in the manual, or on a search.

Can somebody give me the approx. quantity in gallons, of the fuel reserve
--ie: amt. of gasoline left in the tank when the FUEL LIGHT comes-on?!

Seems to me that the computer THINKS it's about 1gallon (lcd reads 30mi to empty during hwy driving) but I can usually drive it until the NEEDLE hits the stop, and refill the tank with abt. 17.5 gallons.

I believe Nissan rates the total capacity of the fuel tank (u.s.) as 18 or 18.5 gallons?!?! But that seems to be a bit high considering I've NEVER been able to put in more than 17.7 gallons, and THAT was with the engine sputtering!!

Anyway -- if somebody has similar experience, or info. please chime-in!

gr
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 AM

I have the same issue in my 4th gen. The light came on and I babied it about 10 miles before the engine turned off. Luckily I was in front of a gas station and I was able to start it again and pulled in. As I see it, there is no reserve.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM

It's more out of curiosity for me....and so I can try and make a better educated guess as to how many miles I can push it b4 my tank runs dry!

The computer is unworthy of my trust.

But I HAVE run mine to the stopper more than once and made it!
A few weeks ago, I was on the hwy on a long trip - and was pushing my luck to the extent of my range.
I wasn't to the stopper with the needle, but it started to sputter going uphill!!
I started yanking the wheel from side to side to slosh what was left in the tank to the pump!!

I DID have quite a load in the car, and the rear was squatting more than the front...but not as far as i've had it before while towing a loaded 4x6 uhaul trailer.

Anyway -- just looking for the actual data since the manual doesn't say what the RESERVE consists of....

Perhaps you are correct: maybe it DOESn'T exist?!?!
gr
Old 04-05-2009, 07:33 PM

I've been curious about this myself. All I know is that the displayed DTE is a rough estimate and the range is quite variable depending upon a number of factors. Thus, when the light comes on / the range starts blinking, I don't procrastinate.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have run probably 30 miles or so beyond the point where the DTE doesnt show numbers any more and just shows dashes. And even then, I didnt even put in 17 gallons into the 18.5 gallon tank. I think (in my car anyway) the gas light and DTE are pretty conservative.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:52 AM

yea..i've had DTE showing dashes and gone just about 30mi before it was basically shutting off on me in the 3.5. the wifes 3.0 allows more than that-almost 40miles before starting to sputter.
not that i allow this often, its actually only happened once in each car. it was an 'experiment' in mine, and an accident in hers.

It all depends on many factors-just keep your tank above half and then never concern yourself with it
Old 04-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nissandrvr98
It all depends on many factors-just keep your tank above half and then never concern yourself with it

I dont know about over half, but as soon as the gas light comes on or the DTE starts flashing, fill it up and you will never have to worry about it.

I used to try to push it to get to the cheapest gas station, but then I realized that it wasnt really worth it to save $0.50.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 AM

theres no such thing as a reserve tank... the light just comes on when theres only a certain amount of fuel left. i used to think there was a reserve also, but there really arent any cars that do. thats why you cant find the spec, there isnt one!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:26 AM

What we mean by reserve is the amount of fuel left when the fuel light comes on. It's supposed to be a reserved amount of fuel for an emergency incase you forgot to get fuel and the fuel light wakes you up. I get fuel when it gets down to 1/4 or 1/8. But it was good to find out what happens when it goes below that and now that I know, I know not to go there.

Originally Posted by anomaly117
theres no such thing as a reserve tank... the light just comes on when theres only a certain amount of fuel left. i used to think there was a reserve also, but there really arent any cars that do. thats why you cant find the spec, there isnt one!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM

I rarely let my tank get below half. There are so many problems associated with that practice. Remember, the fuel pump is in the tank on these and most modern cars.

In the summer, the gas sloshing over the pump - or better yet, submerging it, serves to help cool the pump.

In the winter, depending on how cold it gets where you live, the moisture in the air above the gas in the tank can and does condense and mix with the gas. The more volume of air, the more moisture to condense.

Combine these factors with the increased tendency of the pump to pull sediment into the filter when the tank is approaching empty and I see no need to press the issue any more than necessary.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
What we mean by reserve is the amount of fuel left when the fuel light comes on. It's supposed to be a reserved amount of fuel for an emergency incase you forgot to get fuel and the fuel light wakes you up. I get fuel when it gets down to 1/4 or 1/8. But it was good to find out what happens when it goes below that and now that I know, I know not to go there.
honestly, after i posted i realized that was probably what you meant. sorry if i sounded like a **** there
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 PM

I didn't even think you came across like that at all. Often times people get the wrong message from posts so I understand what you mean.

Originally Posted by anomaly117
honestly, after i posted i realized that was probably what you meant. sorry if i sounded like a **** there
Old 04-15-2009, 11:57 AM

ok then...

accepted that there really IS no reserve tank -- I get that.

What i was looking for, is how many gallons are left when the empty light comes on!?

In any case -- all good points, I shouldn't temp fate so much by pushing the car to the absolute empty state!!

thanks for the input.

gr