Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   Fluids and Lubricants (https://maxima.org/forums/fluids-lubricants-52/)
-   -   Power Stearing Hose (https://maxima.org/forums/fluids-lubricants/656821-power-stearing-hose.html)

MaximaFenatic 10-15-2012 02:57 PM

Power Stearing Hose

Well iv got this leak on my power stearing hose i was wondering what everyone thought of spraying flex Seal on it iv tryed alot of things but still came up with nothing if anyone has any other suggestion please share.:o

Amerikaner83 10-15-2012 03:16 PM

NO.

get it fixed, properly.

MaximaFenatic 10-15-2012 03:23 PM

yea i would if i could i dont have much cash available right now.

Amerikaner83 10-15-2012 03:23 PM

This is one where you DO IT RIGHT.

BigLou55 10-15-2012 03:43 PM

I have to agree with Amerikaner here, you need to repair this properly by getting a replacement hose. You can't doctor up these hoses due to the high pressure, and if you were able to it wouldn't last long at all(probably less than a day). If your strapped for cash check out a local junkyard for one that's not damaged, you may luck out. Its a route to take until you can afford a new one, or until that one breaks.

FYI: This should be in the 5th gen section not the fluids section

ShocknAwe 10-15-2012 05:04 PM

Just about every older nissan develops a leak from the PS hose

T_Behr904 10-15-2012 05:05 PM

Fix it correctly the first time. This isn't something you want to do a halfazz repair on because it will not work. Save up your money and do it right.

chrome91 10-15-2012 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaFenatic (Post 8637959)
yea i would if i could i dont have much cash available right now.

how longs the hose?

depending on the style, hose places can just replace the rubber part for cheap. a buddy of mine works at a hose distribution place and makes up hoses for me. shouldnt be too much to do

theres no alternative to either getting the current line properly repaired, or getting a new line. if cash is tight, go to a junkyard and rip it out of another car yourself. a PS line from pull it yourself junker shouldnt be more than 10 bucks. the power steering system is under high pressure, flex seal will just make it piss out again in a day or two if that

95maxrider 10-19-2012 10:59 AM

4 Attachment(s)
This is a copy of a post I just made in my build thread. If I'm reading this correctly you have a leak from one of your rubber lines, not the hard lines. In that case, do what I did!

During the previous weekend at the garage I had noticed what appeared to be a substantial either oil or power steering fluid leak. Up on closer inspection, it looked like it was coming from the two rubber hoses coming out of the PS reservoir. I knew when I did the PS cooler that those lines were leaking a bit of fluid, but at $30+ each from the dealer (they are molded hoses), I decided to wait it out. Well I guess they've been under a fair amount of stress and started leaking more than before. Take a look and see:

Attachment 40208

Attachment 40209

Attachment 40210

New hoses!
Attachment 40211