Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

This may open a can but, Why Matic K only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 11:00 PM

This may open a can but, Why Matic K only?

I have been searching and reading on here trying to iron out my 05 tranny problems and I keep reading people saying that we must use Nissans tranny fluid but haven't been able to find an explanation as to why other than because Nissan says so. So would someone please explain this to me. I'm sure it doesn't have some magic fairy dust in it or anything like that.
I have no problem using it if there is some really good reason why it"must" be used, but I don't want to buy the expensive stuff if there is really no reason to. Most car manufacturers will tell you to only use there fluids and of course they would. One thread I was reading was started by a Nissan sevice dept service manager and it was about tranny issues and even he said you could use Matic K rated fluids like Mobil1 and Amsoil. These others are less expensive and more readily available also which is a plus in my book.
I am about to do 3 or 4 drain and fills and if I "must" use matic k I will, but I would like the luxury price they charge justified to me other than just "because nissan says so."
Thanks in advance guys and gals.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:08 PM

Nissan designed the transmission, they know what ATF additives are best for it. for automatic transmissions, its always best to use OEM, especially CVT transmissions. all my automatic stuff i run OEM ATF, thats about the only thing i will go OEM on
Old 02-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
Nissan designed the transmission, they know what ATF additives are best for it. for automatic transmissions, its always best to use OEM, especially CVT transmissions. all my automatic stuff i run OEM ATF, thats about the only thing i will go OEM on
Yes, but given all the tranny problems these cars seem to be known for, I sort of question Nissans credibility on this subject.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:57 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Based on my experience with my 2k auto...it only had Nissan ATF or Mobil 1 synthetic ATF the entire life of the transmission. At almost 260K I just started to experience some slipping issues.

However, also know I have a VB mod and a transmission cooler which were factors in the life of my transmission as well.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 AM

From what I have read, Amsoil runs 20 to 50 degrees cooler than the matic k! If that's true, seems Amsoil would most likely provide longer trans life.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In the 4th gen, the Nissan manual actually states that you can substitute Dexron III in your auto if there's no Nissan Dmatic available. What does your manual say?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
In the 4th gen, the Nissan manual actually states that you can substitute Dexron III in your auto if there's no Nissan Dmatic available. What does your manual say?
An that's exactly what I've been running since the very first fluid change at 30K miles.

I'm at 15 years and 137K miles at the moment.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Been running Valvoline max life for the last 30 K with no issues. Currently at 156,000. Also added a bottle of Lubeguard as a precaution.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
+1. Stick with OEM (especially in a Honda).
Old 02-25-2014, 04:57 PM

Most people don't realize that you can avoid many transmission issues, simply by allowing the car to come to a complete stop when changing between reverse and drive.

I see so many people pop the car into drive while going in reverse. That's essentially placing thousands of pounds on your transmission to do what your brakes were meant to do. That's like taking your neck and spinning it 360 to look at something, when you could just turn your head to the other side.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

You don't have to use Nissan-branded ATF, but you should definitely use a fluid that meets Nissan specs. Nissan Matic D, J, K and S are Nissan-specific specs. As long as a transmission fluid from another manufacturer is labeled as meeting the required spec (e.g. Matic-K) , it contains the proper additives; it meets the performance requirements specified by the OEM; and it's perfectly acceptable for use.

I've used AMSOIL ATF in my own cars for decades; I've installed it in countless customer vehicles and I've sold it to hundreds of people on this site with never an issue...in fact just the opposite: reports from customers indicate their transmissions operate better with AMSOIL than with other fluids, including the Nissan-branded product. As you can see from the tech data sheet, it's clearly labeled as meeting Nissan D, J and K specs and AMSOIL Low Viscosity ATF is labeled as meeting Nissan S requirements: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3110.pdf

See my ad in Group Deals Section:http://forums.maxima.org/group-deals...ing-avail.html

Please send me a PM if you have any questions on it.

Certified AMSOIL Direct Jobber
Maxima.org Sponsor & Supporting Vendor

Last edited by talkinghorse; 05-26-2014 at 06:10 PM.