Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

oil issues

I recently bought a 2002 Maxima with the 3.5 and a couple days after buying it my oil light started flickering at a stoplight. I babied the car home and upon arriving home I checked the oil level which looked fine. However for my sanity I did an oil change (5w30 Synthetic 5qts). That night I took a friend out to dinner with no issues. The next day I was on my way to work when I took it out of gear to slow down the oil light came on stayed on and the engine stalled. Starting the car again gave off a horrible knocking noise which my friend confirmed was a rod knock. Now I'm about to replace all the rod bearings but I can't help but think that there's an underlying issue. Is it oil Viscosity, the oil pump bad? I don't want to fix the knock and have the real problem stick around to ruin another rod bearing. Any advise is appreciated thank you.