Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

2013 Maxima Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 10:24 AM
akw
Newbie - Just Registered

2013 Maxima Oil Change

Hi, I need an oil change (or so my car tells me). I have only had the car for 2-3 oil changes so far and have used a synthetic blend.

I am going to switch to a dealership for the oil changes and they seem to offer regular or synthetic.

I am trying to determine if regular or synthetic is best. I have read there are contradictory opinions. Seems synthetic lasts longer. Other pros/cons?

If I got a synthetic blend last time, do I need an oil change at 3,000 miles (assuming this is the amount my car was set to notify me)?

My car knowledge is basic, fyi.

Thank you.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:56 PM

Conventional is fine! It's cheaper too. The sales center may use refined oil instead of premium oil because it's cheaper in bulk.
What I would ask wonder is if people mix oil?
Would you take a quart of this and that? Maybe use 1 quart of synthetic then 3 quarts of conventional?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Conventional is fine! It's cheaper too. The sales center may use refined oil instead of premium oil because it's cheaper in bulk.
Do you have first hand knowledge of any Nissan/Infinity dealers who use re-refined motor oil for oil changes?