Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Looking to buy a scan tool, recomendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 AM

Looking to buy a scan tool, recomendations?

I am looking to buy a scan tool, no I don't need it right now but who knows what the future holds, I have done some research and I am looking at the Actron 9180 simply because it is update-able. I am really looking for 3 things, Fairly easy to use, Update-able via internet (Free updates are better), and a nice tool, I am prepared to spend the right money for the right tool I don't want to cheap out as if its update-able it will last a long time. Please let me know what you guys are using.

Thanks,
Vik
Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 AM

After my last experience with Actron scanners I refuse to buy them again. Plus there is a whole host of software based scanners out there that will cost you about the same amount of money, work on whatever platform of mobile computer you have including iPhone and Android platforms and will give you much better data logging capabilities.

Oh yea and what pissed me off about them was the one I have was supposed to be upgradeable which meant purchasing an $80 cable and drivers and look for an update that never came. It was also supposed to work with ODB-1 and doesn't which is one of the main reasons I bought the little POS.

Last edited by Froggmann; 08-23-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Froggmann
After my last experience with Actron scanners I refuse to buy them again. Plus there is a whole host of software based scanners out there that will cost you about the same amount of money, work on whatever platform of mobile computer you have including iPhone and Android platforms and will give you much better data logging capabilities.

Oh yea and what pissed me off about them was the one I have was supposed to be upgradeable which meant purchasing an $80 cable and drivers and look for an update that never came. It was also supposed to work with ODB-1 and doesn't which is one of the main reasons I bought the little POS.
You make a interesting point. I don't have a iphone or a android based phone, and Im on a Blackberry right now but I changed here and there so I dont want anything based on a certain platform, Just a scanner that's updatable, I might even look at something that connects to a laptop, any recommendations?

Oh and the Actron 9180 comes with a usb cable
Old 08-23-2010, 03:12 PM
dot dot dot ...

UpRev / Cipher.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
UpRev / Cipher.
Looking into it, $200 though. I can get the standalone that can connect to my other cars, this seems to be Nissan only? My question is, is this worth the extra money for just one car or should I save 50 bucks and go with one of those battery powered plugins?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:33 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-I...motiveQ5fTools
Old 08-26-2010, 03:35 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBD-2...motiveQ5fTools
Old 09-14-2010, 01:03 AM
ef9

I bought this Innova 3160 from Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-3160-Pro...4451366&sr=8-1

$200
Old 09-21-2010, 09:22 PM

As far as how good of a product this is - I don't know. But that guy is charging almost 3 times the price of other places, such as this one:

http://www.accecity.com/obd2-elm327-...13a_p1008.html
Old 09-24-2010, 03:42 PM

Thanks Dennis!!! I know my friend said he only spent like 30 on his. I just did a quick search and found that link I posted.
S
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

have you used this personally?
Old 09-24-2010, 04:06 PM

do you have any examples of software based scanners that can be used from an iphone or android. I am looking for a good scanner and was also thinking of getting an iphone or an android phone and this would be ideal for me.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by nsnrider
do you have any examples of software based scanners that can be used from an iphone or android. I am looking for a good scanner and was also thinking of getting an iphone or an android phone and this would be ideal for me.
Haven't tried anything else yet since my junk for the most part stays working and my scanner also decided to start working for now. Guess the last time I threw the fargin thing jostled something causing it to work again.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:33 PM

I have an Android phone (Evo) and use the Torque application, as well as a bluetooth obdII adapter from ebay($20-30). It works amazing, basically reads everything a $300 scanner can read including saving logs to excel sheets, reading codes, pending codes that arent showing yet, etc... I have used it on a 02 corolla, 99 gs300, 99 Lincoln continental, and have worked on all, didnt work on my maxima for some odd reason (I think my ecu is messed up, not 1st time it happens with a scanner).
Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Any final judgement on the best rated or most compatible while also able to update reader? I'm thinking about getting one, also.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Nsider, I havent used that exact one. My friend bought one off Ebay, and when he gets back from Iraq I can get more information.

I have used his for a quick scan, but I havent used it for anything else.
S
Old 11-11-2010, 09:54 AM

Haven't tried anything else yet since my junk for the most part stays working and my scanner also decided to start working for now. Guess the last time I threw the fargin thing jostled something causing it to work again.
Originally Posted by streetzlegend
I have an Android phone (Evo) and use the Torque application, as well as a bluetooth obdII adapter from ebay($20-30). It works amazing, basically reads everything a $300 scanner can read including saving logs to excel sheets, reading codes, pending codes that arent showing yet, etc... I have used it on a 02 corolla, 99 gs300, 99 Lincoln continental, and have worked on all, didnt work on my maxima for some odd reason (I think my ecu is messed up, not 1st time it happens with a scanner).
Well I bought Torque and a cheapo ODB II Bluetooth reader off of ebay and can say I really like the combo. It's pretty nice to see a gauge readout of the car's vitals instead of having to keep an eye out on an old dot matrix LCD.

Now if I could get my hands on Nissan's PID list to get a little further into the ECU I'd really be happy.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Does anyone know which can Protocol/wires Nissan broadcasts the sensor messages across. I just bought a scangaugeII which is pretty nice for $159. I am trying to use it to request standard sensor data from the can bus, and tap the wires to log the data using a separate CAN logger. Its totally a project for an EE and I am an ME, so we are struggling a bit. Currently I am tapped into the 2284 bus, but despite my DBC file I am not getting any data in. Let me know if someone can help.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by usttdth
Does anyone know which can Protocol/wires Nissan broadcasts the sensor messages across. I just bought a scangaugeII which is pretty nice for $159. I am trying to use it to request standard sensor data from the can bus, and tap the wires to log the data using a separate CAN logger. Its totally a project for an EE and I am an ME, so we are struggling a bit. Currently I am tapped into the 2284 bus, but despite my DBC file I am not getting any data in. Let me know if someone can help.
You are working at a level that I have no knowledge about, but maybe this link can help you.

http://pinoutsguide.com/CarElectroni...s_pinout.shtml
Old 01-11-2012, 08:53 PM

If it's just for Nissan apps, I've been using the Blazt/Datascan software with the consult interface for 4+ years and works great. Logging, map trace, real time data display (12 simultaneously IIRC), code reset, self learn clearing, active tests (shutting off cylinders, changing IAVC, cooling temp values etc), even a 0-60 function. Was under $100 when I bought it I think...
Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 PM

innovia actually makes really good stuff, bottom line is you gotta shell out the coin for something that's gonna do what you want but it's a good investment because in the long run it won't break on you.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:30 AM

I use the Torque adroid app with a bluetooth Elm327 OBDII device

$5 for app, $22 for the OBDII device (Be careful though, a LOT of fake/nonworking elm327's are floating around. Especially the cheaply priced ones.)

newlauch is the eBay seller I got mine from. Good experience from that seller
Old 03-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Can you log data with the ELM? I know some will not read the sensors appropriately. I have an android as well.