4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brakes Suddenly Stop Working

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brakes Suddenly Stop Working

Perhaps someone can help me. My daughter has a 1999 Nissan Maxima. Every once in a while the brake petal doesn't depress preventing her to stop. She fearfully called me not knowing what to do. After finally stopping and turning off the vehicle, I checked it and the brakes were working perfectly fine. My wife and I are afraid to have her drive it.

Could this his be a faulty brake booster or check value? I tested the booster by depressing brake petal with car off 10 times and held. Turned the car on and the brake petal depressed. This seems to indicate a working booster.

Any iseas what what could cause her brake petal to act this way so infrequently?

I look forward to your comments.

Thank you.
Jeff

Last edited by Jeff LiMato; 06-26-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:58 AM

This is not the spot to be posting problems with your car. This Garage forum is for the structure we call a garage and the things that make it a garage, such as the lighting, the tools, the floor jacks, etc.

Since you have a 99, you need to post your car problems in the 4th Generation forum where many more people with the knowledge you are seeking frequent.

As for your problem, my guess would be either the booster or the master cylinder. Since the problem is not constant, it will require some expertise to find the cause.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Thread moved to the proper forum.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:49 PM

Sounds like it might be something mechanical. Did you check that the linkage isn't rubbing somewhere?

And did you ask your daughter if she drives around with things like empty soda bottles on the floor?
Old 07-10-2017, 02:49 PM

How hard is the pedal when it does not depress? Is it rock solid hard, like not moving at all and no braking whatsoever? Or is it "pretty hard" but does actually brake if pressed hard? The former would be mechanical issue, and the later could be the vacuum issue.