Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Another oil question (or, hi again, Bill) (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/107912-another-oil-question-hi-again-bill.html)

voltman 08-20-2002 09:30 PM

Another oil question (or, hi again, Bill)

With the myriad of oil threads floating around, I wasn't sure where to put this one. I know synthetics last longer, are generally better, etc, and that 3k oil changes are pointless with it. If one stuck with conventional oil however, is 3k still too often to be changing oil? It's mostly highway driving with some short trips.

Jeff92se 08-20-2002 09:32 PM

Find Bill's sig and review his links.

voltman 08-20-2002 09:36 PM

I tried that. Way over my head. The only thing I concluded from them regarding conventionals was that Castrol GTX tested the best.

Jeff92se 08-20-2002 09:40 PM

Ding-ding! Nice research man. That's what I was gonna recommend but thought you could get some more related info by digging around. And you could go longer on that oil. But it's so cheap, it's up to you.

voltman 08-20-2002 09:47 PM

This will impress you too. :) I also read that he found that GTX had better result after 5k (I think it was) that some of the synthetics. I was just looking for a general "rule" regarding dino oil.

Boo-ya! :laugh:

bill99gxe 08-21-2002 08:18 AM

Originally posted by voltman
This will impress you too. :) I also read that he found that GTX had better result after 5k (I think it was) that some of the synthetics. I was just looking for a general "rule" regarding dino oil.

Boo-ya! :laugh:

Castrol GTX dino is fine. Since you are in CA, I would use 10W/30 as it is more shear stable than 5W/30 and will tend to last longer. Should last 5k easy based on your prescribed driving conditions. Lordrandall's Dodge has been recommended to go 6500 miles on the same filter

STP S6941 or OEM filter, although I'm still researching other possible (and much cheaper) filters......e-mail for more details on what others *should* work if you are interested in experimenting.

Assuming I've begged Jamie enough, the next site upgrade will have an oil discussion forum. :)

iwannabmw 08-21-2002 10:06 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Assuming I've begged Jamie enough, the next site upgrade will have an oil discussion forum. :)

Hmm, interesting development. The folks on the TDI forum have one specifically for fuels & lubricants, maybe that could be included as well? Especially considering the number of posts about 87 octane.

bill99gxe 08-21-2002 10:11 AM

Originally posted by iwannabmw
Hmm, interesting development. The folks on the TDI forum have one specifically for fuels & lubricants, maybe that could be included as well? Especially considering the number of posts about 87 octane.
My stipulation for the forum is it's oil only and I alone run it, or decide who else can moderate it as well. :)

The octane discussions will go real childish real fast, worse than the oil.