General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Vortech denies me my v2 rebuild..

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 07:37 AM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Vortech denies me my v2 rebuild..

.. and that i have to go thru STILLEN inorder to rebuild my blower even if i have to pay for it.

this is ridiculous.

Jamie, the guy that works for vortech, said they dont have the tools to remove the bracket or pulley, i said thats fine, i'll do that. and then hes like. uhhh.. you have to still go through stillen because they had bad problems with maxima owners in the past

this is bull shiiiiiiiz.

#%#@%@!
Old 08-14-2002, 07:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Vortech denies me my v2 rebuild..

Originally posted by Chebosto
.. and that i have to go thru STILLEN inorder to rebuild my blower even if i have to pay for it.

this is ridiculous.

Jamie, the guy that works for vortech, said they dont have the tools to remove the bracket or pulley, i said thats fine, i'll do that. and then hes like. uhhh.. you have to still go through stillen because they had bad problems with maxima owners in the past

this is bull shiiiiiiiz.

#%#@%@!
I should probably search, but what happened to your SC? I'm concerned because I bought mine used after it had been rebuilt and used as a guinea pig on the first 5th gen auto with SC. I think my warranty is long gone, but it'd be cool to know.
Old 08-14-2002, 07:45 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

they're prolly sick of replacing them since a couple people have had to pull their teeth to get a rebuild.
Old 08-14-2002, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hmmm...

Originally posted by NickStam
they're prolly sick of replacing them since a couple people have had to pull their teeth to get a rebuild.
I probably had something to do with this new "policy" of Vortech's. I had to raise hell in order for them to service my blower!!! I wrote to the head manager, I had a few screaming matches with that guy Jamie (i'll reserve my comments about him). If you do a search you'll see my story but... I had to send my blower back 2x because they never fixed it properly the first time and I had to really fight with them to do a job that they should have done in the first place!!! I think it might be better to go through Stillen because Vortech's customer service is crap! Stillen is notorious for having poor service so maybe its all for the better.

Deac
Old 08-14-2002, 10:25 AM

Re: Hmmm...

To rebuild the blower would have been $340, S/Ced guys prepare to pay an additional good amount of money to get our S/Cers rebuilt then!!!Thank you Vortech!!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:45 AM

You guys are scaring me!

Is the life expectancy of these damn blowers is what...about 2 years??
Is that why they only give you a ONE year warranty?

Couldn't we just replace the Vortech blower with some other manufacturer's blower? someone whose products are more reliable.?
Old 08-14-2002, 11:31 AM

Re: You guys are scaring me!

Originally posted by dashingMax
Is the life expectancy of these damn blowers is what...about 2 years??
Is that why they only give you a ONE year warranty?

Couldn't we just replace the Vortech blower with some other manufacturer's blower? someone whose products are more reliable.?
The blower itself I believe comes with 3 year warranty from stillen!!!
Old 08-14-2002, 11:45 AM

Re: Re: You guys are scaring me!

Originally posted by JAY25

The blower itself I believe comes with 3 year warranty from stillen!!!
But technically the Stillen warranty gets voided if we swap the pullies...correct? BUT...
According to Vortech website, the SC-Trim V-2 has an Absolute Maximum impeller speed of 53,000, however it's Efficient Max is 50,000.

Using their formula for calculating impeller speed, here are their numbers:
At 6400 RPMs impeller speed is:
3.125 = 46,208 RPMs
2.87 = 50,313.59 RPMs
2.62 = 55,114.5 RPMs
This is for the SC trim V2 blowers.

Hell, that is below their 50K maximum. Therefore, upto 3.125 should be covered under Vortech warranty! Then why do they give us all this crap...
Old 08-14-2002, 03:53 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

what pulley? i have stock.

:wink:
Old 08-14-2002, 04:48 PM

Re: Vortech denies me my v2 rebuild..

this is ridiculous.

this is bull shiiiiiiiz.

#%#@%@!
You know what? It's really a shame that you guys get this ^&*%&*%*&%. I apologize to the honest car people out there, but the aftermarket auto industry is often very shady. Just think, how often in business can you sell people things, and get away with not making things right when problems arise? Not often, because there is too much competition. Can you sell bad furnaces and central air units and when the complaints come in just say so sorry? Not really. Can you reshingle people's roofs for 7 grand and then not fix things if they have a leak? Well, actually, the #1 complaint to the BBB involves roofing.

All I can say is just be unemotional about getting these things overhauled and take every course of action you can. It's just too bad that these vendor's names keep coming up again and again. How are they any different than say the CEO of Tyco, or the finance guys at MCI?
Old 09-19-2002, 12:52 PM

Anyone? Has this been done?
I know the Turbo guys have the luxury of swapping their turbos, what about us SC folks.?
Old 09-19-2002, 01:00 PM

I'm asking this question because I don't know but what keeps any of you guys from rebuilding it yourselves? This could be another breakthrough for SC'd Maxima owners if someone kind do this and find the parts to upgrade the parts in the blower that are failing.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:07 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Anyone? Has this been done?
I know the Turbo guys have the luxury of swapping their turbos, what about us SC folks.?
You need to find a blower with the same bolt holes and measurements or else nothing will line up properly (of even bolt onto the bracket at all).
Old 09-19-2002, 01:22 PM
I'm needing a caw

I feel for you guys. It's not like you guys are asking Vortech to rebuild them for FREE. You're paying them to do it for god's sake!

What gets me is Vortech doesn't TEST them before they go out??! How ridiculasly idoitic is that? Just set up a jig and have an industrial electrical motor spin the damn thing!
Old 09-19-2002, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by deezo
I'm asking this question because I don't know but what keeps any of you guys from rebuilding it yourselves? This could be another breakthrough for SC'd Maxima owners if someone kind do this and find the parts to upgrade the parts in the blower that are failing.
I've wondered the same thing. I would think a rebuild only involves replacing the bearings, which can't be too hard. The impellor doesn't wear out, does it?
Old 09-19-2002, 02:37 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i finally got the supercharger rebuilt last week, i should get it in the mail today.

the process is long and tedious but if you are persistant and yell alot to the gm of vortech. ****z get done.

they're worried about getting the blower back with the bracket and the pulley attached and BS about it. but if you assure them its just the stupid blower that you are sending back then its all ok.

$320 for replacing all oil seals and checking to see if the blower is ok. this includes the shaft testing for misbalance, but not a replacement. they check to see if everything is in spec.

$600 for a major rebuild with replacement of all bearings and shaft rebalancing, along with the replacement of all gearing.

well. if you need to talk to anyone there. talk to Mike in service. he seems to be the "nicer" one. If you speak to Jamie in an authoritative voice, but in a polite way, he's decent and will get things done too. jsut dont bother talking to him about warranty repair cuz he will flat out reject you.

it also helps to have your stillen rep (mine is hamilton) to speak to mike in service first then call to get your RMA.

--cheston
Old 09-19-2002, 05:52 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

UPDATE:

i received the blower from vortech (like an hour ago from UPS)

here's my diagnostics.

the "humming" i hear from the SC is NORMAL.

BUT the cause of the ripped seals is due to the BELT!

they said the belt had caused the rupture, and that it was on 'too tight' uh oh.

EVERYONE CHECK THEIR BELT TENSION!

what i dont get it. have it too loose, the belt will skip when shifting fast, too tight, and blow a seal. hm...

--ches
Old 09-19-2002, 09:32 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

good info ches.

no blower, but will store in memory.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:05 PM

This may be a touchy question .. but for those with the SC ... would you buy again if another N/A Max happened to come across your life?
Old 09-19-2002, 11:36 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Yes.
only reason y is because the kit is easier than a turbo to install.

with the turbo. you have to worry about welding piping and relocationg of battery (not that bad really) and making sure everything has a tight seal.

i mean. SC yea, there can be boost leaks. but with the turbo more things can go wrong.

i just wish vortech had build a stronger blower.

if the turbo kit was cheaper, then yea. i'd probably would have gone with turbo.. but just cuz its another snail doesnt mean it doesnt bring problems.

Originally posted by ohboiya
This may be a touchy question .. but for those with the SC ... would you buy again if another N/A Max happened to come across your life?
Old 09-20-2002, 12:30 AM
MAX

That blows dude. (no pun intended) If I spent $3500 or so on a SC and the bastards wanted more money to rebuild the pos, I'd be out for blood. Not literally, but you know what I mean.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:16 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Yes.
only reason y is because the kit is easier than a turbo to install.

with the turbo. you have to worry about welding piping and relocationg of battery (not that bad really) and making sure everything has a tight seal.
If only you knew, Mr. Rice. It's "almost" a straight bolt-on.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:21 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Latest news

I posted in another thread about my bearing noise.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=158092

I've never taken my Max to the track nor have I abused it. Driven it with enthusiasm sometimes. Has been my daily driver. Went to one and only one autoX. Now I believe I've got a bearing problem starting up.

I emailed Vortech first about my problem.

>
>Hi there,
>I've had my V2 first installed in early Oct. 2000. This was part of the
>Stillen supercharger kit for my 1998 Nissan Maxima. This week I've noticed
>a
>louder than normal knocking noise from the SC body itself. Before that, I
>only heard the "angry crickets" noise up to now. The noise would present
>itself while at idle but would disappear if I revved the engine or be in
>motion. I first noticed this when I stopped at an intersection. I've never
>driven at a track as I try to baby it rather than abuse it .
>Would this be a sign of bad bearings? If so, can I go to my local Vortech
>dealer for servicing?
>
>Regards,
>Daniel
>

The crappy news :

>The supercharger only had a year warranty. You will need to send the unit
>back to Stillen and they will send it to us. Give them a call at
>866-250-5542.
>
>Steve Padfield
>Vortech Engineering, LLC
>http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com

I asked Steve why one year when their website posts 3 years?

His reply:

>Most Vortech systems carry a 3 year limited warranty. When the >supercharger is bought from us as a unit only
>(such as what Stillen does) the supercharger only has a one
>year warranty.

I gave Kenny (who I bought the kit from) a call at Stillen for assistance. He tries to connect me to Dill (customer service mgr).
Instead I get Melissa. She first tells me to go talk to Vortech. I tell her that I have an email from Steve and he directed me to talk to you guys first.
Melissa: "Oh" (pause) "let me check that out...."
"As it is out of warranty you'll have to go to Vortech
directly. You'll have to arrange with Steve to have the
blower repaired. "

Steve replies:

OK,
The reason the supercharger has to go to Stillen first is the pulley they use. We do not have the tool to take the pulley off. If you can get the pulley off, you can send it to us directly, if you can not get the pulley off, it needs to go to Stillen first. Our in house repair time now is 7-10
days. (not including shipping times) The cost to repair (If in fact something is wrong) will depend on what is wrong. Sorry for the run around,
but Stillen should know this.

Steve Padfield
Vortech Engineering, LLC
http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com

I can't believe this is happening....
Old 10-11-2002, 03:12 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: Latest news

That is why i hate customer service at vortech and stillen.

POS.

just call up vortech, demand an RMA number, say that it was approved from stillen, then just send in the blower ONLY. and nothing else. no pulley. no bracket.

then thats it. just keep asking for the RmA.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:17 PM
Sly

Maybe that's why Stillen doesn't want people to put on smaller pullies? Just a thought. I'm curious if any people that left the kit stock had any issues with part failures?

UPDATE:

what i dont get it. have it too loose, the belt will skip when shifting fast, too tight, and blow a seal. hm...

--ches
Old 10-11-2002, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by Sly
Maybe that's why Stillen doesn't want people to put on smaller pullies? Just a thought. I'm curious if any people that left the kit stock had any issues with part failures?

Blackcat to avoid all these troubles you dont think you can take that blower completely apart and get the RMA number and just send it to Vortech? case closed. I find it very simple not unless I am not getting the picture. In chestons case they gave him the run arounds. For a second I regret going w/vortech but I got my blower completely rebuilt for $442 and I never had any problems w/them. I got the blower back in ten days. Customer service was good enough for me. Take advantage of the fact that if you do take it apart and get a 3.25 pulley and the 8:1 disk.
Old 10-11-2002, 09:47 PM

Blackcat to avoid all these troubles you dont think you can take that blower completely apart and get the RMA number and just send it to Vortech? case closed. I find it very simple not unless I am not getting the picture. In chestons case they gave him the run arounds. For a second I regret going w/vortech but I got my blower completely rebuilt for $442 and I never had any problems w/them. I got the blower back in ten days. Customer service was good enough for me. Take advantage of the fact that if you do take it apart and get a 3.25 pulley and the 8:1 disk.
With the blower off, is the car still driveable if you use a shorter belt for the alternator and auxillary functions?
Old 10-11-2002, 10:08 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

On the drive home, if I put the tranny in neutral the noise goes away...and when I put it back into Drive the noise reappears...its like when a load is put on the engine it makes that knocking-like noise...
There's no noise when I stomp it so I'm wondering if it is the belt that's causing the problem. I hope it's just that. Too dark to see anything now so I'll inspect it further in the morning.

Thanks for your input, everyone!
Old 10-12-2002, 05:38 AM

knocking noise

Originally posted by BlackCat

On the drive home, if I put the tranny in neutral the noise goes away...and when I put it back into Drive the noise reappears...its like when a load is put on the engine it makes that knocking-like noise...
There's no noise when I stomp it so I'm wondering if it is the belt that's causing the problem. I hope it's just that. Too dark to see anything now so I'll inspect it further in the morning.

Thanks for your input, everyone!
I had to send my blower back to Vortech 2x for repair because of the "knocking/grinding sound". The weird thing about it is, the sound is annoying as hell but it never caused any problems...I still got full boost and like you said, the noise goes away when you idle the engine up a little bit. I find that idle of about 750 or more will take away the sound. There are plenty of people w/Vortech blowers out there who will tell you the grinding sound is normal. I just also found it strange that I went for months w/no sound and all of a sudden, this grinding comes in! I went through HELL w/Vortech customer service to get them to fix it but they finally rebuilt mine. It still grinds a bit but not as bad as before and like I said it always worked fine its just the grinding made me concerned the SC would blow or something so I decided 2 get the situation addressed. Good luck man...

Deac
Old 10-12-2002, 12:01 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: knocking noise

Thanks for the info, Deac...
I fiddled with the belt tensioner and that didn't help. As you mentioned below that is exactly what is happening with my blower.

When I started the car up this morning it sounded fine until I put it into reverse. Like you said boosting is no problem but the knocking noise was not like that from day one until just recently.

I just made a wav file so you guys can hear it. In the first few seconds of the wav my car sounds like that normally at idle. Nice and quiet and then you'll hear the knocking start after starting the car that. Btw how do you post a wav file in here?

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some money to fix it up.

Originally posted by Deac

I had to send my blower back to Vortech 2x for repair because of the "knocking/grinding sound". The weird thing about it is, the sound is annoying as hell but it never caused any problems...I still got full boost and like you said, the noise goes away when you idle the engine up a little bit. I find that idle of about 750 or more will take away the sound. There are plenty of people w/Vortech blowers out there who will tell you the grinding sound is normal. I just also found it strange that I went for months w/no sound and all of a sudden, this grinding comes in! I went through HELL w/Vortech customer service to get them to fix it but they finally rebuilt mine. It still grinds a bit but not as bad as before and like I said it always worked fine its just the grinding made me concerned the SC would blow or something so I decided 2 get the situation addressed. Good luck man...

Deac
Old 10-12-2002, 04:37 PM

Is it possible to get a different blower as a direct replacement for the Vortech V2?
HOw about the Powerdyne or other such blowers?
Old 10-12-2002, 06:15 PM

Is it possible to get a different blower as a direct replacement for the Vortech V2?
Like Kev said, there is no way to get it to line up with the CNC'ed bracket that Stillen makes. NO WAY.

Dixit
Old 10-16-2002, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: knocking noise

Thanks for the info, Deac...
I fiddled with the belt tensioner and that didn't help. As you mentioned below that is exactly what is happening with my blower.

When I started the car up this morning it sounded fine until I put it into reverse. Like you said boosting is no problem but the knocking noise was not like that from day one until just recently.

I just made a wav file so you guys can hear it. In the first few seconds of the wav my car sounds like that normally at idle. Nice and quiet and then you'll hear the knocking start after starting the car that. Btw how do you post a wav file in here?

Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some money to fix it up.
Daniel,

Send me the .wav file to cyberoptik@cablespeed.com and I'll host it on my site and post it here for ya.

By the way, we're having a Dyno Day Saturday if you're interested in coming. I know it's short notice, but it would be cool to have another SC there, and we could use the Dyno to verify any boost issues you may have and use my gauges on your car to double check.

Check the NW Forums if you're interested.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:23 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: Re: Re: knocking noise

Originally posted by iansw
Daniel,

Send me the .wav file to cyberoptik@cablespeed.com and I'll host it on my site and post it here for ya.

By the way, we're having a Dyno Day Saturday if you're interested in coming. I know it's short notice, but it would be cool to have another SC there, and we could use the Dyno to verify any boost issues you may have and use my gauges on your car to double check.

Check the NW Forums if you're interested.
Hey Ian,
Long time no chat!

I'll send it to you either tonight or tomorrow morning...its on my home pc.

Sorry, I would have jumped on the dyno meet but I have plans for that day.

I'll be cleaning the throttle body Saturday morning...my revs are down to 500rpm + or - 50 and the noise kicks in at that speed...the rpm needle has been fluctuating lately which previous posts have identified.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: knocking noise

Hey Ian,
Long time no chat!

I'll send it to you either tonight or tomorrow morning...its on my home pc.

Sorry, I would have jumped on the dyno meet but I have plans for that day.

I'll be cleaning the throttle body Saturday morning...my revs are down to 500rpm + or - 50 and the noise kicks in at that speed...the rpm needle has been fluctuating lately which previous posts have identified.
You may try this:

Disconnect the blower pipe at the SuperCharger. then start the car so that the blower is not inline to the manifold anymore.... If your idle still changes alot, then it's not your blower causing bad air induction, but something else screwing up your idle. I had an idle problem because my EGR pipe was loose, and thought it was the SC at first....this is how I verified it was not the SC.

I just remembered I have to ship you that filter. I suck. I went on vacation and totally forgot.

Don't worry, I'm on it now.

IanS
Old 10-16-2002, 07:10 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

When you guys send your Vortechs in, do you return your car to an N/A driveable state? Or just let it sit there until the blower comes back? Seems like it might be a lot of work to get it running. Put all the fuel lines back, get the stock intake back in, remove the oil feed "T", stock belt, etc. I'm sure deac's a pro though. lol
Old 10-16-2002, 07:31 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: :o)

it sat for two weeks

luckily i have a nice roomate that is my biotch for a few days ..

Originally posted by ptatohed
When you guys send your Vortechs in, do you return your car to an N/A driveable state? Or just let it sit there until the blower comes back? Seems like it might be a lot of work to get it running. Put all the fuel lines back, get the stock intake back in, remove the oil feed "T", stock belt, etc. I'm sure deac's a pro though. lol
Old 10-16-2002, 08:58 PM
4 Maximas and counting

re: Powerdyne

I though that Maxximum Tuning (sp?) was going to deliver a Powerdyne kit...
And a Baer 2 piston brake kit for that matter...

Old 10-17-2002, 09:07 AM

Here it is.

WARNING: It's not pretty.

http://www.cyberhub.net/scsound.wav
Old 10-17-2002, 09:29 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally posted by iansw
Here it is.

WARNING: It's not pretty.

http://www.cyberhub.net/scsound.wav
Thanks for your help, Ian!

The bad part starts at 8 seconds into the recording.
I've been shifting into neutral at the lights now just to temper the noise. Morning starts are pretty good until I shift out of Park.

I recently swapped out the original Stillen idler pulley with an aluminum one. I'm now wondering if that is out of balance and causing bad harmonics through the system? I can see that it spins just fine when I look at it.

Quick Reply: Vortech denies me my v2 rebuild..