General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Wow, Vortech didn't give me sh*t about returning my blower for repair

Old 10-14-2002, 11:56 AM

Wow, Vortech didn't give me sh*t about returning my blower for repair

I called Vortech and spoke with one of the service guys over there (Jamie) and this guy was really nice and did not give me any sh*t at ALL about it being a Stillen kit. So this guy was nice after I told him my scenario and after I told him I would remove the pulley and plate said to send it in and gave me an RA # without any fuss or having to go through stillen. I was just shocked because I hear all these headache/horror stories from people about Vortech/Stillen and their warranty pollicy.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:58 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 10-14-2002, 11:59 AM
Administrator

its simple..

too many problems with the blowers = class action lawsuit and possible recall..

its in their best interest to deal with each case quietly than to deny another person.. have a couple of owners link up and then Vortech get fcked over big time..

this time they rae thinking with their heads and not their profits
Old 10-15-2002, 11:18 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Re: Wow, Vortech didn't give me sh*t about returning my blower for repair

Originally posted by nymjayjay
I called Vortech and spoke with one of the service guys over there (Jamie) and this guy was really nice and did not give me any sh*t at ALL about it being a Stillen kit. So this guy was nice after I told him my scenario and after I told him I would remove the pulley and plate said to send it in and gave me an RA # without any fuss or having to go through stillen. I was just shocked because I hear all these headache/horror stories from people about Vortech/Stillen and their warranty pollicy.
I'm about to go that route myself very soon. Was it bad bearings for you too?
Old 10-15-2002, 11:45 AM

Re: Re: Wow, Vortech didn't give me sh*t about returning my blower for repair

Originally posted by BlackCat

I'm about to go that route myself very soon. Was it bad bearings for you too?

I dont know if it was bad bearings or a bar Inpelar* seal. The blower was just sent out 2 day FED-EX for hopefully I will let you know what was wrong in a few weeks.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:35 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

I think I really need to clean my throttle body. My idle rpm is at 500-550 when I'm at a light. Yesterday morning and this morning my V-2 SC was super quiet (as normal) and my idle was at 800rpm. Put it into Reverse or Drive and the idle drops and the noise returns. The noise is probably caused by the engine vibrations at such a low rpm. I'll post my update as soon as I can this coming weekend.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:50 AM

This is probably a stupid question, but if you won't have your blower for a couple of weeks - can you still drive the car at all? Do you have to take everything off and completely convert back to NA, or just let the car sit until the blower comes back from Vortech?

Just curious.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:57 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by Eric99SE
This is probably a stupid question, but if you won't have your blower for a couple of weeks - can you still drive the car at all? Do you have to take everything off and completely convert back to NA, or just let the car sit until the blower comes back from Vortech?

Just curious.
Plug up the oil drain back hose, plug up the oil feed, take off idler/tensioner pulleys, put on stock tensioner pulley, and put on stock belt.

Don't forget to fix the MAF/filter.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:58 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally posted by Eric99SE

Just curious.
You just slap the original belt back on so there isn't any downtime while waiting. The SC belt is longer because it has to loop up from the idler pulley to the SC pulley and then down again to the alternator.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:01 AM

That doesn't sound too bad then.

Thanks for the info.

Eric
Old 10-17-2002, 10:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

Blackcat. If you idle is so low, do you think it's a low oil pressure thing? Ie.. not enough oil getting to the SC?
Old 10-18-2002, 08:35 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Blackcat. If you idle is so low, do you think it's a low oil pressure thing? Ie.. not enough oil getting to the SC?
Hey Jeff,
I checked my oil level and its fine. No signs of oil leaks on the floor either.

I really am suspecting the replacement idler pulley. It was fine with the Stillen one previously so I'll be putting that one back in Saturday morning and doing the throttle body cleaning. If I F-up the pulley retaining nut at least I have a new one handy to replace it.

The noise only comes on when I'm in gear and the rpm needle hovers at 550rpm when I'm stopped. If I blip the pedal while in neutral the revs up to 750-800rpm and the noise goes away.
Old 10-19-2002, 04:01 PM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Success!

I cleaned out the throttle body last night and that straightened out the fluctuating rpm needle a little. The revs felt smoother on the bottom end now and still idling at 550rpm but not quiet yet.

It was until I removed DanNY's aluminum idler pulley that the stupid noise disappeared. Stillen's pulley was much lighter than the aluminum pulley and I'm guessing that the extra weight caused harmonic problems in the system.

Anybody want to buy some pulleys?
Old 10-19-2002, 04:04 PM

Re: Success!

Originally posted by BlackCat
I cleaned out the throttle body last night and that straightened out the fluctuating rpm needle a little. The revs felt smoother on the bottom end now and still idling at 550rpm but not quiet yet.

It was until I removed DanNY's aluminum idler pulley that the stupid noise disappeared. Stillen's pulley was much lighter than the aluminum pulley and I'm guessing that the extra weight caused harmonic problems in the system.

Anybody want to buy some pulleys?

just watch out that stealin's plastic pulleys dont melt on you

i have danny's and I dont have any noises