General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

For you VI 5sp owners modded 5sp vs same plus VI....what happens

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 06:13 PM

For you VI 5sp owners modded 5sp vs same plus VI....what happens

With all the talk the VI and all the buzz we are all excited about owning one. I like many of you am looking forward to owning one, it is obvious you cannot dispute that the intake works.

When you look at the spread sheet it absolutely blows you away that it holds 40+ hp and torque well past 6K very impressive.....BUT.... the end result does not look as good as it does on paper 2more miles per hour quicker in the 1/4 or .2 faster in the 1/4. I am saying all this to ask what happens when two identical 5speeds line up with drivers with same skill when does the VI equipped start to walk away? I am going to guess at the top of third or is it not till the top of fourth? Or everytime the VI equipped intake opens at a pre deterimined RPM does it pull on the NON VI? Or a better example might be both cars are in 5th gear going 70 and then they both shift to 3rd
I assume this is where the VI shows it's strenght

I have run against a stock 5sp and thought I would immdiately pull him, I have the normal bolt ons and surprisingly I did not start to walk away until I shifted to third.............yes i know how to drive
Old 11-12-2002, 06:47 PM

It would probably show up better in a higher gear.

Say both a stock VQ 5sp and a VI Stock 5sp....both rolling in 3rd gear and say 20mph. Both go WOT. The VI car makes a tiny bit less on the low to mid rpm's, but so little less that it probably wouldn't make a difference. As the tach's of both cars sweep past 5K or so, the VI is suddenly going to walk away.

Mike S.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:49 PM
SLOW

I've got just the answer you are looking for.

Myself vs. BriGuyMax:
Me= Y-pipe and Intake, and shorter diameter tires.
BriGuyMax= Intake, Ypipe, exhaust, UDP

From a stop I pull out a little because my car is lighter and I have shorter tires, probably on the order of 1/2-1 full car through first gear. 2nd gear I'm still pulling a little but not as dramatically, 3rd gear we are about even in acceleration and the distance between us holds constant. 4th gear he starts to SLOWWWWWLY pull back on me and pass me. 5th gear he's stretching his lead on me, probably 2 cars by 130mph. From a roll at say 70mph it's basically a dead heat until 100 and then Brian will start pulling slowly like I described above.

Me with MEVI vs BriGuyMax w/ Bolt ons
I have the same mods as above plus an MEVI, he has the same mods as above. From a stop or a roll it's all over for him. First gear I pull about 1/2 car, 2nd gear another car, 3rd gear 2 more cars, 4th gear I'm leaving him badly. By 130mph I'd probably have 6-10 cars on him.

Me with MEVI vs BriGuyMax with MEVI
All mods same as above, MEVI's for both of us. This is what we've done most recently, at both the track and a toll booth, and highway roll ons. We are basically dead even in every situation. No one's pulling anyone as long as we hit it at the exact same time.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Myself vs. BriGuyMax:
BriGuyMax= Intake, Ypipe, exhaust, UDP

From a stop I pull out a little because my car is lighter and I have shorter tires, probably on the order of 1/2-1 full car through first gear. 2nd gear I'm still pulling a little but not as dramatically, 3rd gear we are about even in acceleration and the distance between us holds constant. 4th gear he starts to SLOWWWWWLY pull back on me and pass me. 5th gear he's stretching his lead on me, probably 2 cars by 130mph. From a roll at say 70mph it's basically a dead heat until 100 and then Brian will start pulling slowly like I described above.

I have the same mods as above plus an MEVI, he has the same mods as above. From a stop or a roll it's all over for him. First gear I pull about 1/2 car, 2nd gear another car, 3rd gear 2 more cars, 4th gear I'm leaving him badly. By 130mph I'd probably have 6-10 cars on him.

Me with MEVI vs BriGuyMax with MEVI
All mods same as above, MEVI's for both of us. This is what we've done most recently, at both the track and a toll booth, and highway roll ons. We are basically dead even in every situation. No one's pulling anyone as long as we hit it at the exact same time.
Wow. Being able to pull 6-10 cars to 130 on a modded 5spd is impressive for a NA mod.

Soon as Courtesy gets their head out of their **** I will find out what its like.

Just courious though. Before the MEVI's were added, what was giving Briguy the edge up top? His exhaust??
Old 11-12-2002, 10:24 PM

I have the same mods as above plus an MEVI, he has the same mods as and a toll booth, and highway roll ons. We are basically dead even in every situation. No one's pulling anyone as long as we hit it at the exact same time.

Da*n that is very impressive, great write up I am surprised that it made a difference so early.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2002, 09:55 AM

my main question

my main question it did your car feel any slower at all just driving around town? I noticed on most of the dynos there was a little bit of a loss in torque.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Re: my main question

Originally posted by stevo
my main question it did your car feel any slower at all just driving around town? I noticed on most of the dynos there was a little bit of a loss in torque.
The only thing I feel that's different at part throttle is that I don't get the slight "turbo-like" surge going from 3500-4000rpms. The VIM seems to have made my power curves much smoother therefore it cut out ~8fwtq from 3500-4000rpms. Most US-spec manifold 4th gens have two torque "hills" in the torque curve. The VIM flattens these hills and ends up reducing torque. I use to make 193fwtq, now I make 185fwtq.

http://home.earthlink.net/~thunderlt...s/DCP_0014.JPG

Another thing I noticed. The intake isn't as loud, especially after 4000rpms (that's a good thing in my book).

Dave
Old 11-13-2002, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Victim64

Wow. Being able to pull 6-10 cars to 130 on a modded 5spd is impressive for a NA mod.

Soon as Courtesy gets their head out of their **** I will find out what its like.

Just courious though. Before the MEVI's were added, what was giving Briguy the edge up top? His exhaust??
Before the MEVI's, my car was probably making a little more HP than Neal's from the exhaust and UDP, so up top when weight difference was not as much of a factor, I would pull. Neal also had shorter diameter tires which help low end acceleration, but hurt top end.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by BriGuyMax

Before the MEVI's, my car was probably making a little more HP than Neal's from the exhaust and UDP, so up top when weight difference was not as much of a factor, I would pull. Neal also had shorter diameter tires which help low end acceleration, but hurt top end.
what about the ACT clutch? and wouldnt the quaife help off the line?
Old 11-13-2002, 12:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mitch33x

The ACT clutch would help if they have stock clutches which I believe none of them do. The ACT clutch will grip better and the Quaife will eliminate some wheel spin helpin you on take off.

Good write up Neal. At least you have someone to play with must be nice. Now if you pull on Briguy without him activating the VI, how many cars lenghts you think you ll put on him if you were SCed (Briguy nothing against you just a question)
Old 11-13-2002, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by mitch33x

ACT clutch and quaife don't help off the line to any noticable extent. The quaife is VERY noticeable accelerating through turns.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:34 PM
SLOW

ACT clutch and quaife don't help off the line to any noticable extent. The quaife is VERY noticeable accelerating through turns.
On slicks they would help (well the ACT would, not so much the LSD) but on the street they don't really do anything. An optimal launch doesn't involve tirespin so if you launch optimally, an LSD won't have any effect. BTW I'm still on a stock clutch that has 30K miles on it, it starts to slip with hard launches on my slicks. An ACT would put me at 13.8s most likely. Right no I have to moderate my launches because my clutch isn't up to the task. I currently do 5500RPM clutch drops with the slicks, best 60' ever is a 1.960, and average is right about 2.00. If I had an ACT I am confident I could pull off high 1.8x 60' times. That's why I'd really like to get my slicks on Brian's car, he'd be a 13.8 car no doubt with his ACT, LSD, and my slicks. Too bad the slicks have been taken off the rims for winter

Jay25-do you mean me with MEVI and SC vs him with just bolt ons (no MEVI) or me with just SC? Either way I couldn't begin to tell you. I've ridden in only one SC'd max, dashingMax's I think hes running 8lbs or 10lbs and it was fast as hell, from a stop a bolt on Max might do OK for a second or 2, but after that it'd be all over. Even vs an MEVI car, he'd just leave it in the dust. His car hauls. I bet his car could trap 105mph So probably from a stop to 130, I'd guess he'd put 15 lengths on an MEVI car and a few hundred feet (like 25+ lengths) on a bolt on 4th gen.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:05 PM

I was speaking for someone that got it. You may be correct about the Quaife, since I was told not to get it. I dont care much for turns but if thats the only use for it then I dont need to invest $1500 plus dollars on an expensive piece like that one.

Neal you got it right you been SCed as an example. Have you and Bobby and Briguy played around? Tell that clown he needs to go to the track . I am trapping 104MPH all the time whether it be at 13.8 or 14.6 my traps are always @ 103 and 104. I am awaiting the ME VI. I got the SAFC to tune that sucker at the lower RPMS. Ill post my Dyno numbers by Mid Feb of next year if there is no ice on the road.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:16 PM

NICE comparison! And you can test all the way to 130 mph?? Man, open highway must be plentiful in your neck of the woods.

DW

Myself vs. BriGuyMax:
BriGuyMax= Intake, Ypipe, exhaust, UDP . . .
. .
Me with MEVI vs BriGuyMax w/ Bolt ons . . .
Me with MEVI vs BriGuyMax with MEVI . . .
Old 11-13-2002, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

I was speaking for someone that got it. You may be correct about the Quaife, since I was told not to get it. I dont care much for turns but if thats the only use for it then I dont need to invest $1500 plus dollars on an expensive piece like that one.

Neal you got it right you been SCed as an example. Have you and Bobby and Briguy played around? Tell that clown he needs to go to the track . I am trapping 104MPH all the time whether it be at 13.8 or 14.6 my traps are always @ 103 and 104. I am awaiting the ME VI. I got the SAFC to tune that sucker at the lower RPMS. Ill post my Dyno numbers by Mid Feb of next year if there is no ice on the road.

IMO the quaife is a MUST for anyone putting down decent HP....it's MUCH MUCH stronger than the stock open diffy, and will be great for use with slicks. I busted my stock diffy...that's mainly why I have the quaife.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:09 PM

IMO the quaife is a MUST for anyone putting down decent HP....it's MUCH MUCH stronger than the stock open diffy, and will be great for use with slicks. I busted my stock diffy...that's mainly why I have the quaife.
Well I was under the impression that it was not good for take offs. since on cattmans website that is what is listed for something like that have to go back and read it again. I just need two more mods and I am done with the mods. I dont have no idea whats the deal with the cams since no one has got them yet.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:56 PM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

OMG...INTELLIGENCE!!!

Oh wait, I logged out of the Honduh forums. That's why!

Anyhow, here's some CarTest data.

Code:
Stock 95, 95+MEVI
0-60......: 6.5, 6.5
0-1/4 mile: 15.2@ 91, 15.0@ 93
0-1/2 mile: 23.9@111.5, 23.7@112.5
0-1.0 mile: 38.9@127.5, 38.4@128.5
Top Speed.: 137, 141
So 0-60 there's almost no change. You lose a little in the low/mid-range, but what you lose you pickup at the top-end. CarTest gave 0.2s/2mph in the 1/4 mile in favor of the VI, but I think Dave B tested it out at about 0.3s/3mph, but this is still pretty close.

The biggest difference is on highway drags, as Nealoc and BriGuy were discussing. From looking at the 1/2 mile and full mile ET/speeds, the MEVI doesn't really push the car all the much faster (not much extra PEAK horsepower), but extending the power band allows you to hold the lower gears (higher power multipliers) for just a little bit longer than the OE manifold, and the MEVI just slowly walks away. 0.5s difference at 128 mph is probably somewhere around 6-10 cars, as Neal described.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

The ACT clutch would help if they have stock clutches which I believe none of them do. The ACT clutch will grip better and the Quaife will eliminate some wheel spin helpin you on take off.

Good write up Neal. At least you have someone to play with must be nice. Now if you pull on Briguy without him activating the VI, how many cars lenghts you think you ll put on him if you were SCed (Briguy nothing against you just a question)
hey man, once i get my car in order, we can have some fun playing, lol
Old 11-14-2002, 02:38 AM

Originally posted by SteVTEC
OMG...INTELLIGENCE!!!

Oh wait, I logged out of the Honduh forums. That's why!

Anyhow, here's some CarTest data.

Code:
Stock 95, 95+MEVI
0-60......: 6.5, 6.5
0-1/4 mile: 15.2@ 91, 15.0@ 93
0-1/2 mile: 23.9@111.5, 23.7@112.5
0-1.0 mile: 38.9@127.5, 38.4@128.5
Top Speed.: 137, 141
So 0-60 there's almost no change. You lose a little in the low/mid-range, but what you lose you pickup at the top-end. CarTest gave 0.2s/2mph in the 1/4 mile in favor of the VI, but I think Dave B tested it out at about 0.3s/3mph, but this is still pretty close.

The biggest difference is on highway drags, as Nealoc and BriGuy were discussing. From looking at the 1/2 mile and full mile ET/speeds, the MEVI doesn't really push the car all the much faster (not much extra PEAK horsepower), but extending the power band allows you to hold the lower gears (higher power multipliers) for just a little bit longer than the OE manifold, and the MEVI just slowly walks away. 0.5s difference at 128 mph is probably somewhere around 6-10 cars, as Neal described.
King Dyno has spoken!!
Old 11-14-2002, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by brodaiga

hey man, once i get my car in order, we can have some fun playing, lol
You have not got the bolts and nuts for your car? Also I need to talk to you I told this guy about your car and he seemed pretty interested and told him the condition it was in. I forgot how many miles you had on it? We can all roll out to the track. Your car is heavily modified and three of us will have the ME VIs by mid January. in a box in front of our houses: