Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   General Maxima Discussion (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion-1/)
-   -   Do It Yourself - Custom Gauges (https://maxima.org/forums/general-maxima-discussion/124198-do-yourself-custom-gauges.html)

breaux124 11-21-2002 06:20 AM

Do It Yourself - Custom Gauges

A friend emailed me this about motorcycles:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/rickdupuis/...tom_gauges.htm

Has anyone done anything like this for a maxima? You could make your gauges look like anything you wanted.

Whitemax 11-21-2002 06:45 AM

Thats pretty cool, I just wonder what type of media they are printing it on....

Jamsan 11-21-2002 06:52 AM

that most def looks coool....but i dont understand how you would scan em in....they werent very clear on that part....the maxima cluster has the casing at a slant, so that wouldnt work very well...but that def is something i would wanna try

breaux124 11-21-2002 06:55 AM

Originally posted by Jamsan
that most def looks coool....but i dont understand how you would scan em in....they werent very clear on that part....the maxima cluster has the casing at a slant, so that wouldnt work very well...but that def is something i would wanna try
maybe someone who bought aftermarket gauges could just scan them in and make them available online?

SEguy182 11-21-2002 07:00 AM

someone tried it on another website but it didnt come out very well. And my friend bought gauges like that for his sentra from some guy that did that same process just in white and they were off. i dont know how good he was tho, if you could get them to look that good, it would be worth it

Blaxxxima 11-21-2002 09:21 AM

Originally posted by breaux124

maybe someone who bought aftermarket gauges could just scan them in and make them available online?

Sweet idea! I would love to try something like that!

Thanks dude, hope we can get someone to at least provide us the scanned images (hint hint those with indiglo gauges just sitting around still). :)

Mike

][ 35 11-21-2002 09:26 AM

dman pretty sweeeeeeeeeeet.... if the pics come out that nice and clear.... very nice...

clee130 11-21-2002 09:29 AM

Originally posted by SEguy182
someone tried it on another website but it didnt come out very well. And my friend bought gauges like that for his sentra from some guy that did that same process just in white and they were off. i dont know how good he was tho, if you could get them to look that good, it would be worth it
Could be several reasons for not coming out very well: crappy printer, crappy paper, messed up in Photoshop, not scanned in right.

SuDZ 11-21-2002 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Whitemax
Thats pretty cool, I just wonder what type of media they are printing it on....
Maybe like a nice glossy paper made for pictures or something... or even transparency's so that the light comes through but can still be colored.

SuDZ

Whitemax 11-21-2002 10:14 AM

Originally posted by SuDZ

Maybe like a nice glossy paper made for pictures or something... or even transparency's so that the light comes through but can still be colored.

SuDZ

Ya, I was thinking tranparencies would work really well.....

SuDZ 11-21-2002 10:15 AM

Originally posted by Whitemax

Ya, I was thinking tranparencies would work really well.....

Got me thinking since I have a transparency printer about 4 feet from me right now :)

SuDZ

Conrad283 11-21-2002 10:28 AM

thats sick ...

clee130 11-21-2002 10:37 AM

Tranparencies might not be such a hot idea if you're not going to be making a full color full sized image. If there are blank spots in the tranparencies, you can see "into" the gauges and there's nothing particularly interesting behind the gauge faces.

breaux124 11-21-2002 10:38 AM

How about color laser printer?? We have two at work.
I'm going to help my friend with his motorcycle gauges and then maybe I'll try it on my maxima.

MAXimumHP 11-21-2002 10:45 AM

That’s a cool Idea! I once made some gauges for my buddies Honda. I actually measured and drew the gauge patterns on CAD. All you really need in the right spot is the lines. Then you can use custom locations and fonts or whatever, but I never thought of a picture type background. One problem we had was after installing them using printable sticker material, the heat from the gauges caused them to expand and shrink periodically and eventually they began to bubble. Worked great except for that minor thing. All we need to do next time is use some material like vinyl or something that can stretch as needed.

MaximaZero 11-21-2002 10:46 AM

i think i just found myself something to do for winter break :D

SuDZ 11-21-2002 10:48 AM

Originally posted by clee130
Tranparencies might not be such a hot idea if you're not going to be making a full color full sized image. If there are blank spots in the tranparencies, you can see "into" the gauges and there's nothing particularly interesting behind the gauge faces.
I meant for a full design like the one they showed, or even you could make the background a solid color so there are no blank spots.

SuDZ

MAXimumHP 11-21-2002 10:56 AM

Originally posted by MAXimumHP
That’s a cool Idea! I once made some gauges for my buddies Honda. I actually measured and drew the gauge patterns on CAD. All you really need in the right spot is the lines. Then you can use custom locations and fonts or whatever, but I never thought of a picture type background. One problem we had was after installing them using printable sticker material, the heat from the gauges caused them to expand and shrink periodically and eventually they began to bubble. Worked great except for that minor thing. All we need to do next time is use some material like vinyl or something that can stretch as needed.
Woohoo, I graduated from Newbie :jump:

SuDZ 11-21-2002 11:06 AM

prepare for the "nobody cares speech" that comes with these announcments :wall:

SuDZ

mzmtg 11-21-2002 11:08 AM

:calder:

nobody cares

Blaxxxima 11-21-2002 11:13 AM

SuDZ

WAIT!

wasn't that just it?

SEguy182 11-21-2002 11:22 AM

Originally posted by clee130

Could be several reasons for not coming out very well: crappy printer, crappy paper, messed up in Photoshop, not scanned in right.

yea i knew there were to many variables to consider, i think they were pretty cheap

SuDZ 11-21-2002 11:25 AM

Originally posted by SEguy182

yea i knew there were to many variables to consider, i think they were pretty cheap

But not bad for something cheap.

SuDZ

96BLUMAX 11-21-2002 11:31 AM

Looks pretty cool, but i like my indeglo better.:D

doublea 11-21-2002 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Blaxxxima

Sweet idea! I would love to try something like that!

Thanks dude, hope we can get someone to at least provide us the scanned images (hint hint those with indiglo gauges just sitting around still). :)

Mike

Hey Blaxxxima, let me know what you need to scan I got a very good scanner and all the softwares to make it.

Cheers

AA dblea@videotron.ca

DaThrillr 11-21-2002 12:35 PM

anyone every put a gauge in there cig lighter spot? that would be a cool idea... just a thought

MAXimumHP 11-21-2002 12:35 PM

SuDZ

Yeah I knew it was coming, but couldn't resist

I usually resist from pointless posts, sorry

SuDZ 11-21-2002 12:37 PM

Yeah I knew it was coming, but couldn't resist

I usually resist from pointless posts, sorry

No need to appologive, I just figured a few of the others might rip into you.

SuDZ

Blaxxxima 11-21-2002 01:51 PM

Originally posted by doublea

Hey Blaxxxima, let me know what you need to scan I got a very good scanner and all the softwares to make it.

Cheers

AA dblea@videotron.ca

AA - what I'm looking to have scanned is just the four gauge faces for a 98 SE (with DIGI odometer). If this ain't whatcha got, hopefully someone else will :)

Thanks for the offer my man! This will force me to learn Photoshop a bit.

Mike

SuDZ 11-21-2002 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Blaxxxima

AA - what I'm looking to have scanned is just the four gauge faces for a 98 SE (with DIGI odometer). If this ain't whatcha got, hopefully someone else will :)

Thanks for the offer my man! This will force me to learn Photoshop a bit.

Mike

If he happens to send those ones to you can you forward me a copy?

SuDZ

asu174 11-21-2002 02:07 PM

Those gauges belong in a 1983 Trans Am. That is really, really gay. Even a cool design would look gay. That's the kind of thing that you think is cool for a week until you realize that it is completely retarted.

thebigsadler 11-21-2002 02:07 PM

Originally posted by DaThrillr
anyone every put a gauge in there cig lighter spot? that would be a cool idea... just a thought
slickismax did.

SuDZ 11-21-2002 03:33 PM

Originally posted by asu174
Those gauges belong in a 1983 Trans Am. That is really, really gay. Even a cool design would look gay. That's the kind of thing that you think is cool for a week until you realize that it is completely retarted.
But since it would cost about 50 cents even if you got sick of it and took it out, your really dont lose anything.

SuDZ

MaximaZero 11-21-2002 04:35 PM

But since it would cost about 50 cents even if you got sick of it and took it out, your really dont lose anything.

SuDZ

besides, who said it needed a design? you could just print guagues that use the stock design with different colors, if landscape guages arent your taste.

DaThrillr 11-21-2002 05:30 PM

Originally posted by thebigsadler

slickismax did.

cool!laugh:
what size gage goes there? i wanna do it! :)

Blackwind 11-21-2002 06:12 PM

kinkos here i come!:D

BBaker025 11-21-2002 06:27 PM

That would be kinda weird if u put a pic of ur car in those gauges. I dont know if that would be kool or not, kinda makes u think.

Blaxxxima 11-21-2002 07:41 PM

If he happens to send those ones to you can you forward me a copy?

SuDZ

aye aye cap'n!

Blaxxxima 11-21-2002 07:43 PM

SudZ - I've got the Canadian version tho ;)

my car is faster than your car (in #s, at the same spot on the dial).

BJGemini 11-21-2002 09:48 PM

Originally posted by asu174
ASU... by far Hater #1 http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/chair.gif

B